Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Ill make sure to bump this thread in march after you & everybody else buys the ipad 5

Funny you say this because I've stopped buying Apple products. Its not because of the apparent new 6 month upgrade its Apple's lack of ethics.

The lightning adapter with zero benefits over the old adapter. Then to block 3rd party developers for months while they try to hog all the profits for conversion adapters and can't even keep up with demand? Some company Apple has become.

I'll see you in March and let you know that I didn't buy one.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
The problem is when was the last time we saw Apple do something is different from what the line already has? I think these are all just rumors just like the iPhone 6 have a 4.3 to a 4.5 inch screen, and then offering the smaller size for cheaper. These rumors come out every single time before Apple releases a new product. Guess what the ipad 5 when ever it comes out may look a little different, but the size is going to be the same. Apple just does not change there lines that much. I mean look at the mini it really is just a smaller ipad with a few more curves. From the iPhone all the way up to the ipad they all have that same look, so that when you see them you say Apple. Rumors are fun but I would take them with a grain of salt.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
So, $1.000.000 question... What if iPad 5 will "only" be thinner and lighter with not significant hardware improvements, assuming that the new policy is to release two tablets every year, a minor and a major upgrade. What if the iPad 5 is just the minor upgrade? Would you buy it, or again as it happens with the iPad 4, are you going to wait the iPad 6?

I think anyone following releases would agree that the next iPad should see more than a minor upgrade. It's had the same form factor for 3 generations now, we should expect a redesign...which I would personally say would not count as a minor upgrade. If the bezels are not reduced (or if they are) we should physically see:

-Chamfered edges - because that's their thing right now!
-Metal volume, power (anyone notice these buttons are the same size - help to reduce cost?) and side switch buttons.
-White/black headphone socket on the respective coloured iPads.
-Two Speakers
-Polished Apple logo on the back - perhaps the back will be like the Mini too for each colour.

Those are the only things I would bet on for certain if I was a betting man. I may win or lose the bet!:p
Bezel size, weight and overall size are dependent on all the other factors mentioned in other threads (IGZO display etc), until parts start to leak we can't really be sure of more.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Funny you say this because I've stopped buying Apple products. Its not because of the apparent new 6 month upgrade its Apple's lack of ethics...

Who will you go with?

Google is blocking Google Maps on Windows Phone even though there is no reason to do so. It works just fine on IE and there was no technical change to prompt that action.

Microsoft made deals replace Google search with Bing on some Motororla products.

Google wouldn't give turn by turn navigation on the iPhone unless Apple gavethem acess to detailed user info.

There are many, many examples of every large tech corporation behaving poorly. If you are going to bycott a company because of how they act, enjoy your pad of paper.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm sure the paper companies are destroying owl habitats and not providing safe work conditions. :D

Exactly. Best write in some dirt with your finger if you want a tablet from a company with good ethics.

Besides being smaller, the move from Mini to Micro-USB did nothing for the consumer, and it screwed all those people with Mini-USB accessories.

Selective outrage is awesome.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
As far as form factor, there hasn't really been a major update since iPad 2 (going flat in the back instead of rounded). iPad 3's big deal was Retina (which was huge), and iPad 4 was relatively minor (processor and connector...although the processor was a great selling point to those who care). iPad 5 should be the next big form factor change if everything we're hearing is right. It'll be the new "one to have". Can't wait. That's when my money will be spent. :)

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Funny you say this because I've stopped buying Apple products. Its not because of the apparent new 6 month upgrade its Apple's lack of ethics.

So this tells me that you still use a type writer very heavily, oh wait but you posted on this site with what?.....A device you will no longer buy? You do know that no matter which company you purchase from it will be one that lacks certain ethics whether you are privy to them or not..Its like saying you will boycott a particular company because they pollute the earth from their manufacturing process..Well thats everybody :confused:

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
So, $1.000.000 question... What if iPad 5 will "only" be thinner and lighter with not significant hardware improvements, assuming that the new policy is to release two tablets every year, a minor and a major upgrade. What if the iPad 5 is just the minor upgrade? Would you buy it, or again as it happens with the iPad 4, are you going to wait the iPad 6?

I just picked up an IPAD 4 64 gb wifi, for just that reason. The thing is a screamer, when I compare how fast my Ipad 3 was before I sold it to get a mini. I'm not sure what more they could do to it to make the performance any better, so if its just a form change then I know I would'nt be interested. I can see me keeping this Ipad for several generations much like I did for the Ipad 1. It does everythnig I need it to.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I would so buy that!

I never really care about specs, I bought the iPad 3 on launch day because of the beautiful retina screen, I'm skipping the iPad 4 because the 3 is plenty fast for me (don't play games).

But it is kind of heavy, I got an iPad mini for this reason but got rid of it because it couldn't replace my big iPad due to the bad screen and the typing was too awkward.

A smaller, lighter 9.7" iPad would be the best combination for me!

I wonder how true this is though.. Would love to see some mockups. March is only 3 months away, usually mockups are leaked by then.

----------

-Polished Apple logo on the back - perhaps the back will be like the Mini too for each colour.

I really hope this one won't come true.

The plastic Apple on the back of the big iPads is also a WiFi antenna. I compared both their WiFi ranges when I had a mini, and the mini had significantly worse WiFi range because it doesn't have a back antenna. I really hope they keep this one.

----------

The nice thing about the bezel is that it gives your fingers a place to hold on without being on the screen when you need to hold it in one hand. I would hate to see it go for that reason.

But it's way too heavy to hold in one hand anyway... I could do without.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I would so buy that!

I never really care about specs, I bought the iPad 3 on launch day because of the beautiful retina screen, I'm skipping the iPad 4 because the 3 is plenty fast for me (don't play games).

But it is kind of heavy, I got an iPad mini for this reason but got rid of it because it couldn't replace my big iPad due to the bad screen and the typing was too awkward.

A smaller, lighter 9.7" iPad would be the best combination for me!

I wonder how true this is though.. Would love to see some mockups. March is only 3 months away, usually mockups are leaked by then.

----------

I really hope this one won't come true.

The plastic Apple on the back of the big iPads is also a WiFi antenna. I compared both their WiFi ranges when I had a mini, and the mini had significantly worse WiFi range because it doesn't have a back antenna. I really hope they keep this one.

----------

But it's way too heavy to hold in one hand anyway... I could do without.

This is just not true - apart from the original iPad, where the antenna extended to the Apple logo inside the device. Otherwise (since iPad 2 onwards) the antenna (s) is on the edge of the device. Plus, it is not a problem for a WiFi signal to travel through aluminium. In my experience the Mini does not have worse range than any other iPad model. So, Lose The Plastic Apple, Apple!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This is just not true - apart from the original iPad, where the antenna extended to the Apple logo inside the device. Otherwise (since iPad 2 onwards) the antenna (s) is on the edge of the device. Plus, it is not a problem for a WiFi signal to travel through aluminium. In my experience the Mini does not have worse range than any other iPad model. So, Lose The Plastic Apple, Apple!

I will agree with the person you quoted....maybe not on their logic as to why, but the mini does not have the wifi range the 4 had in my experience.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...The plastic Apple on the back of the big iPads is also a WiFi antenna. I compared both their WiFi ranges when I had a mini, and the mini had significantly worse WiFi range because it doesn't have a back antenna.

The cellular Mini has a plastic antenna cover on the back as well.

black-ipad-mini-cellular-back.jpg

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

The lightning adapter with zero benefits over the old adapter. Then to block 3rd party developers for months while they try to hog all the profits for conversion adapters and can't even keep up with demand? Some company Apple has become.

Why are you in this forum if you stopped buying apple products

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Wtf does "mini curves" mean?

I think it's supposed to mean curves like the mini has... I don't know lol, I'm just posting it here because I thought some forum members would find this info interesting. iLounge has a pretty good track record, which is also why I posted this.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
One of the best things about Apple is when you buy their products you are 'current' for at least a year. For me this 6 month release cycle is actually quite a turn off.

I have seen this view expressed in many of the ipad threads, I keep trying to understand it. In some way people feel they have to have the latest ios device, but they don't feel they have to have the latest macbook pro. I guess it goes to the issue that people use ios devices in public spaces, so there is more of a fashion brand participation aspect.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA

The lightning adapter with zero benefits over the old adapter.

The Lightning adapter has lots of benefits over the old adapter, size being the easiest one to see and understand, its silly to make the changing of a 10 year old plug to a much better next generation plug capable of much faster transfers into a big conspiracy.

OafTobark

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Dumb. Need the edges to manage the size of a 9 inch tablet.

Size, or weight?

More bezel = more edge room the hold on = better grip.

You wouldn't need that if the iPad takes after the mini design. It'll be incredibly lighter and extremely slim meaning way easier to hold, and less strain on the wrists.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Size, or weight?

More bezel = more edge room the hold on = better grip.

You wouldn't need that if the iPad takes after the mini design. It'll be incredibly lighter and extremely slim meaning way easier to hold, and less strain on the wrists.

Sure you do. You end up needing to hold it by touching the screen with a smaller bezel.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Personally, I think that if Apple releases the iPad 5 with the current specs (A6X, 1GB RAM, retina display, etc..), but with a lighter and thinner chassis that has the iPad Mini-style design, with slightly thinner bezels (I think the current bezel is 0.75" all-around, so the new iPad could have slightly thinner bezels that are, say, 0.5" thick).

This would make for a "smaller" iPad, while still keeping the same 9.7" display. This would also make it lighter because they'd be able to shave off that extra metal and glass. Combine this with making it thinner and you've got one hell of an iPad.

This is definitely feasible, and is what I am expecting to see come March. Thoughts?

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I think it's supposed to mean curves like the mini has... I don't know lol, I'm just posting it here because I thought some forum members would find this info interesting. iLounge has a pretty good track record, which is also why I posted this.

Still don't get it. The iPad mini has curves?

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Still don't get it. The iPad mini has curves?

Most likely just means the style of it. I think by curves, he means how the edges on the iPad mini "curve" up more so than the edges do on the regular iPad. In the end, I think he just means that the iPad 5 will adopt the iPad Mini design, that is to say, black/slate and white/silver color options, the chamfered edge, and the polished Apple logo.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

As Tim Cook said, Apple physically couldn't create the iPhone 5 with the old dock connector. There was not enough room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.