Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Let me just first start off by pointing out that I have an iPhone 4S - not an iPhone 5, but I figured that many of you if not now, have owned an iPhone 4S at some point in the past.

My question is, how long did your iPhone battery last typically? It seems that my iPhone 4S battery is burning throughout the day. Even with regular tasks like talking, texting, emailing, etc.

I find myself having to charge the phone every single night - is that normal? I'm running on iOS 6 and I heard that the software upgrade has been giving both i4S and i5 battery problems.

How much usage/standby time should I be able to get before really having to recharge my phone?

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Consistent 8 hours usage on my iP5
4-5 hours usage on a friend's 4S

I have brightness set to 40%, 4 email accounts set to push, mix of wifi/3G throughout the day.

My phone is almost completely dead by the end of the day and so I am also charging it every night which I feel is normal for a smartphone.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
It really depends. I am not impressed with the battery on my iphone 5 at all. Then again, I use my phone a lot. I am constantly either unlocking it to refresh e-mail or read the news. So, unlike other users, I use it a lot. For me it won't last the entire day.

To give you an idea, last night when my phone died my usage was at 4 hours and 35 minutes and standby was 7 hours and 58 minutes. That was the final reading at 1% before it died.

So, I was using it a lot. Compared to the numbers today:

Usage: 2 hours, 4 minutes
Standby: 7 hours, 58minutes. 65% battery

So, it really depends how demanding you are on the processor and the apps you are using.

I recommend downloading battery doctor. It is a free app that gives you a good amount of information.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
It really depends. I am not impressed with the battery on my iphone 5 at all. Then again, I use my phone a lot. I am constantly either unlocking it to refresh e-mail or read the news. So, unlike other users, I use it a lot. For me it won't last the entire day.

To give you an idea, last night when my phone died my usage was at 4 hours and 35 minutes and standby was 7 hours and 58 minutes. That was the final reading at 1% before it died.

So, I was using it a lot. Compared to the numbers today:

Usage: 2 hours, 4 minutes
Standby: 7 hours, 58minutes. 65% battery

So, it really depends how demanding you are on the processor and the apps you are using.

I recommend downloading battery doctor. It is a free app that gives you a good amount of information.

There really is only one phone that I know of (Droid Razr Maxx) that will last all day with almost constant usage. And that's only going by heresay as I've never used the phone myself.

For me, it just comes down to how and where I'm using my phone on a particular day. During the week I am in an office and always have my charger with me because I use the TuneIn Radio app a lot and it's a big battery hog. So I know I'm going to have to use the charger. If it's the weekend and I'm out and about I don't need the charger because I'm not constantly using my phone except for what I would consider "normal" usage (phone calls, texts, twitter, facebook, random internet usuage, camera). Doing this my phone will easily last all day+.

I just feel that if I know I'm going to be somewhere for a long time I take my charger "just in case", however, I've rarely needed it.

So, I am very happy with my battery life.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Like they say: "A picture is worth a 1000 words." :)

Attachments

• IMG_0007.PNG
    IMG_0007.PNG
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,308

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
My day starts at 5AM, i use my phone often, not much talking but good amount of texting and facebook messaging. Some music streaming.

Also use several apps while at work Siri, timers and password apps.

When i get home around 5:30 i am usually at 10 to 15% life left on my phone so i charge it while i eat supper so i can finish out the night. Then let it fully charge overnight.

My old 4 would not last through the day and i had to charge it while at work. I started out with the Batt % on, on my 5 and found myself charging it when it got down to about 40%.

I have now turned the % indicator off and just let the phone alert me at 20% (just to see how it worked), i found that once I stopped worrying about the % it was a much better experience.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I'm at 68% battery life presently:
Usage: 5 hours 21 minutes
Standby: 6 hours 45 minutes

That is pretty insane there. I have similar number, except, my usage is way less and my battery is at 60%. Can you give more information on brightness, LTE usage, wifi, etc.?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My iPhone 4s could usually do 2 days and be at 50% with my current usage. Mirrors my iPhone 5 usage pretty much the same even though it's LTE.

iPhone 5
iPhone5BatteryLife.png

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
I have now turned the % indicator off and just let the phone alert me at 20% (just to see how it worked), i found that once I stopped worrying about the % it was a much better experience.

I said in another battery thread that the "battery percentage" indicator might be the worst feature Apple ever invented. :D

All it does as make people freak out about their battery. LOL

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I said in another battery thread that the "battery percentage" indicator might be the worst feature Apple ever invented. :D

^^ This x1000000. Same experience. Turn off the damn % meter and enjoy your phone.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
The max I've got out of mine is about 7 hours on a full charge. I rarely use my phone down to below 40% and am usually at 3.5 or 4 hours of useage at that point. I think it is pretty poor as I am in no way heavily using the phone. It continually drains due to poor AT&T 4g/LTE signal. I get 3 bars at best at work.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
When I first got my iP5 a few weeks ago, coming from an iPhone 4, I was very disappointed with the battery life. It barely lasted a day, which was never an issue on my 4.

But the battery seems to be stabilizing now, after a couple of full depletion and recharge cycles, it's now comfortably lasting a full day. For example today was a semi-light usage day (only took about ten calls and maybe 20 SMS, with less than a dozen emails) but with everything ON (3 push email accounts, wifi, BlueTooth, 3G and LTE although where I am LTE is spotty) and getting this, which is decent IMO:

Attachments

• IMG_0752.PNG
    IMG_0752.PNG
    107.8 KB · Views: 686

teribithia

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
London
I do not check the detail last time, but When I go home, the capacity shows 10%-15% from 100%. I just receive some calls and use wifi to browser web. :D:D

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
I am honestly jealous of the usage times some of you all are getting lol

I recently started letting my battery die every night before I plug it in to charge. I discovered that when I let the battery die it seems to last longer.

I used to struggle to get 5 hours usage, but now I get 7-8 hours, once I got a little over 9 hours. And I consider myself a heavy user on data, using Facebook, checking emails, playing lots of dice with buddies, words with friends and song pop. I also play music over Bluetooth in my car on my commute to work for two and a half hours.

Location services and notifications on for most apps, auto brightness on and set at around 50%, my email accounts are set up for manual checking. I am also jailbroken using about 10 tweaks.

Right now I am at 33% battery with 5 hours 40 minutes usage.

And I definitely have to agree on turning the battery percentage indicator OFF and enjoy the phone without worrying about losing every percent of battery.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california

making me think I should change this setting because I see the percentage and I get nervous. thanks!

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
After nearly two years my 4 still lasts easily through the day. I charge it regardless of its charge every night because I know that if I didn't, I'd have to plug it in around late afternoon on the next day.

Also, turning off the percentage indicator stops me from worrying needlessly about my phone's charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.