Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
To be honest, I'm fine with the 27" the way it is. More res = more money, more resources needed to drive the screen and more heat. I see the advantage on a screen that is held close to your face, but not so much (yet) on the 27" one. I'm sure it would look nice, but at what cost overall.

Totally agree, it's just like the delirium that is going on with TVs with the 4k resolution....unless you sit a few inches from the screen the human eye simply can't perceive the difference, net it's totally useless.
Unless, that is, there is some app that requires you to examine a mega screen from a few inches -i.e. medical X-Rays, etc., albeit i don't know why you wouldn't simply pinch&zoom-

Lundy

Cancelled
Dec 20, 2012
Got the email this morning saying my iMac has shipped! I ordered on 12/12. Here is what tracking says so far. Does the "in transit" listing after the shipment release mean its in the air? How do I figure out which plane its on?

- 1/09/2013 - Wednesday
10:43 pm
In transit
SHANGHAI CN
10:38 pm
International shipment release - Import
SHANGHAI CN
2:57 pm
Left FedEx origin facility
SHANGHAI CN
11:57 am
Picked up
SHANGHAI CN
- 1/08/2013 - Tuesday
10:28 pm
Shipment information sent to FedEx

I figured it out! If you are feeling incredibly anxious about where your iMac is, you can checkout flightaware.com Fedex flight numbers start with FDX. Just check out the ones leaving Shanghai around the time yours leaves. ;)

Ok back to my feeble attempts at being productive.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
ok here it is :) finally 6 weeks later, 3.4 8gb (gotta order the right ram) 768ssd, 680 i think im gonna put my mounting arms on the left and right tb displays to bring them up to the level of the iMac. i dont use eyefinity so it really doesn't matter that much to me..but heres the pics some of you been pm me about hope it looks as good to you as it does to me and hope all you get yours too soon....

bill

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Sperry8

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
If it's not: get a refund, buy the RAM yourself and save a fortune :)

Apple ram prices are criminal!

Amazing, I have just learned this! I will upgrade myself. Actually, Apple wouldn't just send out the missing RAM. They wanted me to pack up and ship the whole system back to them! So I told them to just refund my money. Will get $200 back, and spend $50 instead. So their error and insistence that the whole computer had to be sent back, saved me some coin.

Anyone know... can I just use any 8GB RAM module? Can you mix/match RAM brands? Or are some specially designed to work with iMac?

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
heres the side view sort of, funny you cant even tell the thickness, for most of us we got our cpus to the wall anyway, guess it makes you feel good knowing its thin lol...ehh im tryin to upload this thing, seem to be havin some problems/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_0051.JPG

Last edited:

Sperry8

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Did you open the Ram tray to see if there is actually 2 8GBsticks present?

Could be it is there and not seated properly or is just bad.

The base set-up comes with 2 4GB sticks so this would indicate they didn't just send you a base set-up.

I opened it and just got 1 8GB stick. The other 3 slots are empty.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Far from it. Many here appreciate having the data available. Granted, it won't speed up delivery a lick.

It's about as unscientific as it it gets. It's only updated by a very small subset of users, which MacRumors users don't represent the "average" user since we're on Macrumors and the site alone only hosts a tiny sliver of all mac users.

But whatever makes you feel better... if tracking UPS flight routes and making graphs make you feel better, then so be it, but the reality is there is no pattern to how orders are being processed aside from Apple processing them in the order received on a config-config basis as parts come in.

impromptukiss

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
my order of a base model 27" from 12-26 just switched to preparing for shipment (i'm in WA state). bought the extra ram somewhere else.

TomH1983

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Does anyone else's heart skip a beat when they refresh the orders page and they see the word "dispatched" before the word "January"? For some reason my eyes lock onto that word first.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
ok here it is :) finally 6 weeks later, 3.4 8gb (gotta order the right ram) 768ssd, 680 i think im gonna put my mounting arms on the left and right tb displays to bring them up to the level of the iMac. i dont use eyefinity so it really doesn't matter that much to me..but heres the pics some of you been pm me about hope it looks as good to you as it does to me and hope all you get yours too soon....

bill

Nice setup!

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
They wanted me to pack up and ship the whole system back to them!

What and wait another month for it to return?

I agree get the refund and buy 3x 8Gb at the same price.

BTW I always thought the iMac need to have RAM in pairs to work?

Last edited:

rjs2

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
UK
Amazing, I have just learned this! I will upgrade myself. Actually, Apple wouldn't just send out the missing RAM. They wanted me to pack up and ship the whole system back to them! So I told them to just refund my money. Will get $200 back, and spend $50 instead. So their error and insistence that the whole computer had to be sent back, saved me some coin.

Anyone know... can I just use any 8GB RAM module? Can you mix/match RAM brands? Or are some specially designed to work with iMac?

I've ordered some from Crucial, as have many on here it seems.

They have a memory finder which makes it easy to find the correct RAM.

Any compatible RAM should work.

pauldy

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
What and wait another month for it to return?

I agree get the refund and buy 3x 8Gb at the same price.

BTW I always thought the iMac need to have RAM in pairs to work?

Having them in pairs just allows them to work more efficiently and makes the system a bit faster accessing memory.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
Wow you guys are lucky.. I'm from WA state ordered on 12/11 and still processing. Seems most all US orders up to this date have been processed already, I wonder if there's something wrong with my payment :(

Soul2Squeeze

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Dec 13 Order has Shipped! CAN'T WAIT!

My 27" iMac has finally shipped after 28 days of processing. It should arrive January 14th.

I sold my 2010 27" over 2 months ago thinking I'd have a replacement late November. I've been using an old 15" MBP with 4GB RAM. Photoshop and Illustrator have hardly been functional and I can't even use FCP, After Effects, and half the other programs I utilize in my business.

I hope I don't have a difficult time transitioning from 15", 4GB RAM, and a 2.33Ghz dual processor to
27", 32GB RAM, 3TB Fusion Drive, and a Quad Core 3.4Ghz i7 processor ;)

Productivity and morale is about to skyrocket come January 14th!

jstnlzr

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2012
Space Coast
Ordered Jan 1. Just went into Preparing for shipment... I am sorry for those who have waited longer than me, i really am... I was expecting to get this in febuary.... :/

londonhogfan

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Got lucky with Best Buy

Keep an eye on bestbuy.com

I've been watching bestbuy.com since I want to use their no-interest financing. It's been saying for a while that Model: MD095LL/A ($1799.99) was available for shipping to stores, but you couldn't actually add it to your cart.

This morning Model: MD096LL/A showed up for about 6 hours for $1999 so I ordered it over the phone at 1-800-BEST-BUY. I work at a University so asked if they could price-match apple's educational pricing. She came back a couple minutes later and said she could do it for $1799.00.

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

Total was $1975.41 after shipping.

She also knocked $25 off my shipping so I got overnight delivery for $10. I already got my tracking number and it should arrive tomorrow or Friday.

Attachments

• bestbuy-order status.png
    bestbuy-order status.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.