Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtncreeks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Can someone please help me with the basics? I have an AT&T iphone 3gs that is no longer under contract and an AT&T 3gs that I just purchased on ebay. I want to jailbreak both of these phones. They are both running ios 6.0.1. I've spent the morning researching, but I can't figure out if there is a jailbreak for this version or not. I downloaded the latest jailbreak from redsn0w, but this appears to be only useful for ios 6.0. Thank you.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
redsn0w works on 6.01

Download both the 6.0 and the 6.01 IPSW

in redsn0w go to Extras/Select IPSW now select the 6.0 IPSW

got back to main menu and select Jailbreak, its should work now.

mtncreeks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Thank you. Now can you please excuse my ignorance - I can't find the location for those downloads. Could you possibly provide me with a url? I've been looking all over the site redsn0w.us and I'm not finding a link for "extras"

mtncreeks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
I went to the url, got the instructions and followed them to the letter. At some point it asked for something where I had to check whether the phone was an older or newer version. I was to check the SN number for the phone. My number started with 88117... , which made it a newer version.

The phone is running ios 6.0.1 I uploaded iphone3,1_6.0_0A403_Restore.ipsw as instructed by redsn0w, but I got a "Missing keys.plist" error indicated that I needed to use iphone3,1_6.0.10A523_Restore.ipsw. When I used that ipsw, I got an error message saying it was not supported by redsn0w.

Any ideas???

Thanks again for your help

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Find someone who knows what they're doing with jailbreaking to do it for you.
You downloaded the 6.0 firmware file for an iphone 4 instead. If you cant figure out the simple and easy stuff then I wouldnt suggest going any further.

mtncreeks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
That's a bit harsh. I admit that I haven't done this before, but I am not the idiot you apparently think I am. I followed the recommendations from the site and looked up the 3gs with an ios 6.0.1. That is the firmware that is listed for my phone. I rechecked to confirm that I had not been in error. Here's the site that redsn0w led me to:

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Firmware#iPhone_3GS

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
That's a bit harsh. I admit that I haven't done this before, but I am not the idiot you apparently think I am. I followed the recommendations from the site and looked up the 3gs with an ios 6.0.1. That is the firmware that is listed for my phone. I rechecked to confirm that I had not been in error. Here's the site that redsn0w led me to:

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Firmware#iPhone_3GS

correct and the 3GS has iphone 2.1 firmwares, the iphone 4 has 3.1 firmwares…..

The wiki and iclarified say the same, you made a mistake, and no it's not harsh , it is actually kind, he tries to prevent you from bricking your phone….

mtncreeks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Thanks for that clarification. I checked the files on my computer that I downloaded. My actual error was in my post. I was actually using the 2.1 firmware.

----------

I'm getting an exploit failed error

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
If you get that it means you didn't put it in DFU

connect USB

To put the phone in DFU hold home and power together until phone turns off, keep holding both for 3 more seconds, than release power while holding home for 10 more seconds. The screen will be completely black and itunes will say it has found a iphone in recoverry mode, actual it is in DFU-mode

mtncreeks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
I got that one figured out and reset. It is still giving me an error message missing Keys.plist data for this build and it wants the 6.01. build (iphone 2,1_0.0.1_10A523) but that build is not accepted by redsn0w. Am I simply stuck with a phone that can't be jailbroken, can it be done by someone more capable than me, or is there a simple fix that I am missing?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Like said before before you attempt the jailbreak first select the 6.0 ipsw in extras/select ipsw.....

schatzidog

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
mtncreeks - I sounded like you were following the directionswhat so I pulled out an old SG3 and tried to replicate the steps. This is also the "newer model". You are absolutely correct. When you use ipsw iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw (6.0.0) you get the error message upon import that you can't use it on a newer phone. Trying to use the iPhone2,1_6.0.1_10A523_Restore.ipsw (6.0.1) and the phone says not supported. So yes, I agree it appears this isn't supported, and would recommend the other posters try to replicated the scenerio you describe. I'll continue to look for solutions.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
mtncreeks - I sounded like you were following the directionswhat so I pulled out an old SG3 and tried to replicate the steps. This is also the "newer model". You are absolutely correct. When you use ipsw iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw (6.0.0) you get the error message upon import that you can't use it on a newer phone. Trying to use the iPhone2,1_6.0.1_10A523_Restore.ipsw (6.0.1) and the phone says not supported. So yes, I agree it appears this isn't supported, and would recommend the other posters try to replicated the scenerio you describe. I'll continue to look for solutions.

Maybe the newbies should learn to use google…

The 3GS can be jailbroken on 6.01, it just needs to point to the 6.0 IPSW to make it work, redsn0w is not updated for a direct 6.01 JB so you have to point it to 6.0 manually, that workaround has been around for 2 years…

Only difference between the old bootrom and the new is that on the old one it will be untethered JB, the new bootrom it is a tethered JB just like the A4 devices.

Common mistakes are not pointing redsn0w to the 6.0 IPSW prior the JB and not putting the device in DFU but in recovery.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
And these "newbie" mistakes are why the Internet is full of limitless "how to" posts, videos, etc.

Thus the comments about "Google can be your friend".

As proven time after time, failure to utilize Google is the biggest newbie mistake (demonstrated here day after day after day)

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
And these "newbie" mistakes are why the Internet is full of limitless "how to" posts, videos, etc.

Thus the comments about "Google can be your friend".

As proven time after time, failure to utilize Google is the biggest newbie mistake (demonstrated here day after day after day)

Google often leads to YouTube videos ....

LucasG

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
People tend to go to YouTube videos nowadays, maybe cause it's even easier than reading? I never pay attention to videos on google when searching for things like this, you can try that one. ;)

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
YouTube videos tend to be posted by people who think that just because it works for them it will work for everyone.
Unfortunatly people believe them and wonder why it doesn't...
They cause a lot of problems.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
YouTube videos tend to be posted by people who think that just because it works for them it will work for everyone.
Unfortunatly people believe them and wonder why it doesn't...
They cause a lot of problems.

Actually, many YouTube videos are frauds to attract "hits".

When you claim to have a video of a procedure that no one else in the world can do it generates hits which generates their ego and their wallet.

N00bs get sucked in every time.

CaptMurdock

Suspended
Jan 2, 2009
The Evildrome Boozerama
Maybe the newbies should learn to use google…

The 3GS can be jailbroken on 6.01, it just needs to point to the 6.0 IPSW to make it work, redsn0w is not updated for a direct 6.01 JB so you have to point it to 6.0 manually, that workaround has been around for 2 years…

Only difference between the old bootrom and the new is that on the old one it will be untethered JB, the new bootrom it is a tethered JB just like the A4 devices.

Common mistakes are not pointing redsn0w to the 6.0 IPSW prior the JB and not putting the device in DFU but in recovery.

I've tried the workaround recently, and I get an "Exploit failed" message. What's that about?

ETA: I have the 6.0 IPSW, I definitely know how to put the iPhone in DFU, and I still get this message.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Have the latest redsn0w?

DFU mode (black screen) and not recovery mode (connect to itunes screen). loads of people think they know what DFU is, no offense.

Deactivate all anti-virus on a windows machine.

Some say keep holding the home button until the first stage is uploading.

Also start up redsn0w and select got to Extras/Select IPSW than select the 6.0, immediately after that go to restore, you have to do that everytime you select different option in redsn0w

CaptMurdock

Suspended
Jan 2, 2009
The Evildrome Boozerama
Have the latest redsn0w?

0.9.15b(eta)3. AFAIK that's the latest.
DFU mode (black screen) and not recovery mode (connect to itunes screen). loads of people think they know what DFU is, no offense.
None taken. I turn off the iPhone via the Power button and slide, held the Power button down for 3 seconds, held the Power and Home buttons for ten seconds, then held the Home button for fifteen seconds. If there's another way to get it to DFU I'd love to hear it.
Deactivate all anti-virus on a windows machine.
As you can see on my sig, irrelevant.
Some say keep holding the home button until the first stage is uploading.
Agreed. I did that.
Also start up redsn0w and select got to Extras/Select IPSW than select the 6.0, immediately after that go to restore, you have to do that everytime you select different option in redsn0w
OKay, I'll try that.

ETA: That didn't work either. It claimed that the IPSW was for an iPhone 2,1 but my iPhone was a 3,1. I went back the website where I downloaded the IPSW and confirmed I had the correct one for my 3GS. So I'm at a loss right now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.