Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NineFace

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.

Now the whole world knows you as Hey! That the elite guy :apple:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
And I suspect iGrip is quite amused by all the people who have taken his posts seriously.

:)

But more importantly, I think that the discussion which has ensued is very interesting. There are a lot of different perspectives which have been expressed on the subject.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I would think it would make sense going forward that they have a cheap/free phone, medium priced phone for majority of consumers, then a Pro version for people who need screen real estate, power, features etc.

I think based on them all using the same iOS, it would be easy for developers to write apps for all models across the board.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
And what makes you think that legacy phones are cheaper to build? Building a first generation iPhone wouldn't be any cheaper than it was in 2007. You'd need a complete redesign to actually reduce the cost.

What I was getting at was not rebuilding the phone or manufacturing more but rather selling refurbished or backlevel models that haven't sold in the states.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
a less expensive model? The iPhone 4 is practically free!

Yeah... On contract. But many people in third world countries either can’t afford to go on a pricey contract, or contracts for the iPhone are not offered where they live. In places like India pretty much everyone buys their smartphone upfront, which is why midrange phones like the samsung galaxy ace are so popular there. It is that market that Apple will be trying to capture with this phone.

jmerchlinsky

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Washington DC
What I was getting at was not rebuilding the phone or manufacturing more but rather selling refurbished or backlevel models that haven't sold in the states.

An emerging-market iPhone would have a target would have a sales target significantly higher than the premium iPhone. There simply are not enough refurbs or unsold old models to address the market.

Besides, competative entrant would need cutting edge technology, not last years technology. That means the lastest semiconductor processor node and unprecedented levels of integration.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
>Originally Posted by Ubele
>And I suspect iGrip is quite amused by all the people who have taken his posts seriously.

:)

But more importantly, I think that the discussion which has ensued is very interesting. There are a lot of different perspectives which have been expressed on the subject.

I admit, you had me going there for a few minutes. I say that as someone who has been flamed on here more than once by posting what I thought were obviously satirical or ironic comments. I wonder whether Mark Twain and Jonathan Swift caught flak in their days from readers who assumed they were serious.

And, yes, this has been a good discussion. I eagerly await the release (or not) of the iPhone Mini, iPhone Jumbo, or whatever it does or doesn't turn out to be.

janny1

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
so what is a cheaper body? the cheaper screen? or cheaper camera?
Anyway, what's the release day?

philamac

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Hmmm, what could a smaller, cheaper version of the iPhone selling for roughly $99-$149 possibly be like?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 10.16.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 10.16.33 AM.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 146

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So Phl Schller has basically debunked these rumors in an interview from China. The Next Web got confirmation from Apple that the interview/comments are legit.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/01...ey-will-not-be-the-future-of-apples-products/

Interviewer Huang Yinlong spoke to Schiller about Apple’s products in China who said that “every product that Apple creates, we consider using only the best technology available. This includes the production pipeline, the Retina display, the unibody design, to provide the best product to the market.”

“At first, non-smartphones were popular in the Chinese market, now cheap smartphones are more popular and non-smartphones are out,” Schiller added later. “Despite the popularity of cheap smartphones, this will never be the future of Apple’s products. In fact, although Apple’s market share of smartphones is just about 20%, we own the 75% of the profit.”

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
Realize his thought pattern? Take a look at his previous post. It's quite clear. I'm glad you stated having a differing opinion makes people less intelligent. That is an extremely intelligent assertion. :rolleyes:

Clever dick, have a cookie.

:rolleyes:

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
If you're not in the NBA, you don't have bigger hands than me (11.25 inch span), and my 4" iPhone fits my hands just fine. So did the 3.5" if you feel the need to have a bigger screen, buy a Galaxy Note, and shut up about it already.

Not everyone over 6 feet is in the NBA. I'm 6' 4''.

You're mad loud on forums, but clearly the 3.5" feels fine in your hand cause you're a little boy.

imacintosh.0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
It's up to 21 now.

It'll stop soon. Definitely won't approach many (relatively speaking) or most (by any stretch of the imagination) but generalizing Apple users is always a fun game

A silly game but I'm sure the ppl who do it like to think it's fun

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
It'll stop soon. Definitely won't approach many (relatively speaking) or most (by any stretch of the imagination) but generalizing Apple users is always a fun game

A silly game but I'm sure the ppl who do it like to think it's fun

Do you really think so Voonyx?

imacintosh.0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
It may not approach "many", but it has long since exceeded "too many".

It's what less than 1% of the ppl registered here (2 thousandth of 1%), and exponentially smaller than 1% of total iPhone users?

Like I said, generalizing is stupid especially when its so easy to prove wrong. The generalizing will never stop obviously because you ppl find it fun. That doesn't make it any less stupid.

Last edited:

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
LOL, Apple has see the Nexus 4 and has panicked.

----------

It's what less than 1% of the ppl registered here (2 thousandth of 1%), and exponentially smaller than 1% of total iPhone users?

Like I said, generalizing is stupid especially when its so easy to prove wrong. The generalizing will never stop obviously because you ppl find it fun. That doesn't make it any less stupid.

"Generalizing is stupid" is a generalization. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.