Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The shorter cable is nice. It makes it more convenient to use with docks or the Seagate Thunderbolt HD adapter that I have.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Thunderbolt is a dead non-starter. USB3 is on course to win the fight.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

Not good for us.

TB can become a FireWire port, a Gigabit Port, an extension for the PCIe port to expand graphic card capabilities, etc, not to mention connect to a display and the display becomes a hub, etc.

USB3.0 cannot.

TB is a PCIe extension directly connected to the motherboard, kind of like the now dead ExpressCard.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If you've known about it for a week, it would have been helpful if you'd told us about it at any point. :)

And that matters how? Telling MacRumors about good Apple/mac related info has no relation to whether the info is written up as an article. The articles are written up on their own schedule. Sure I am happy about the article quality here, not perfect but one of the best rumour sites (quality wise out there).

Just don't expect your telling MacRumors anything to magically translate into a speedily written article based on your info. Not gonna happen.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Thank you apple for giving us this awesome port that makes the iMac, MacBook Air and Mac Mini so powerful and upgradeable without making them big and bulky with lots of extra ports. I was a huge fan of firewire 800, using it for all my external hard drives, now we finally have something even better.
:D

For all the haters who think it's a failure just like firewire LOL. It's real simple and you just don't get it. :cool: I could audibly hear a huge difference in how my hard drives worked over Firewire vs USB, Firewire smooth as butter just like esata, usb noisy and choppy. Looking at the speed of USB 3 is like looking at megapixels of a camera.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Thunderbolt won't be ubiquitous like USB 3.0. However, it can still be useful. I don't know why Intel doesn't insist on it as part of the Ultrabook spec (instead they focus on silly things like Wi-Di and touchscreens). It would be the perfect port for a universal docking station, since it has greater capabilities than USB 3.0. Apple has the right idea with the Thunderbolt monitor. With the cable down to a more reasonable $29 and a smaller size, maybe we'll see some companies take it more seriously. The $300 docks are a start, but we really need to get these down below $200 before anyone will notice. Decent USB 3.0 docks are about $150.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Thunderbolt won't be ubiquitous like USB 3.0. However, it can still be useful. I don't know why Intel doesn't insist on it as part of the Ultrabook spec (instead they focus on silly things like Wi-Di and touchscreens). It would be the perfect port for a universal docking station, since it has greater capabilities than USB 3.0. Apple has the right idea with the Thunderbolt monitor. With the cable down to a more reasonable $29 and a smaller size, maybe we'll see some companies take it more seriously. The $300 docks are a start, but we really need to get these down below $200 before anyone will notice. Decent USB 3.0 docks are about $150.

Heh, I'd rather have a touchscreen than a thunderbolt port.

luckyw

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
I need a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adaptor. They have one for Firewire and Ethernet, why not USB 3.0. WTH Apple!

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
If you've known about it for a week, it would have been helpful if you'd told us about it at any point. :)

I had thought about submitting it to MR but i thought it wasn't exactly front page news.

Just incase anyone wondered, i saw these cables while checking out a BTO mac mini, and it gave me the option of buying the two cables, and i thought "huh, they do a 0.5m cable now."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.