Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CedarPoint182

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
I won the lottery (the LG / Samsung lottery, that is)! My story in a nutshell: I originally purchased a rMBP in July, which I returned due to body issues. Since then, I've gone through four other rMBP's--all with LG screens and image retention out of the box. (Call me picky, but for this amount of money, I think I have a right to be.)

When refurbished rMBP's became available in the online store last Friday, I jumped on a 2.6/8/512. A mere few hours later, some refurbished 2.6/16/512's became available. Feeling the 16GB model was a better choice, I purchased this one and will return the other later this week.

After unboxing both machines, I can say they are both in perfect condition and--best of all--have Samsung screens! I literally jumped for joy when "LSN" appeared on the screen. The screens are awesome with no discoloration, bleeding, etc. The bodies are perfect with not a single scratch or scuff. The power cords are in pristine condition, too. Neither of the computers even has a single battery cycle for crying out loud!

If this is representative of all Apple refurb products, I'm extremely impressed. Sure, I miss the fancy box, but with the money I saved by going the refurb route, I now have a 512GB SSD (which I couldn't have afforded otherwise). Plus, I have a Samsung screen! :D (I continue to wonder if Apple replaced a lot of the screens before listing the rMBP refurbs...)

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I just got my refurb and its a Samsung as well. Haven't done the IR test or anything and honestly cant find the difference between my previous LG and this Samsung.

But I knew it the moment I opened the lid and turned it on for the first time. That bright flash of light that fills up the screen... I thought it had to be a Samsung and sure it was.

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I just got my 2.6/16/512 refurb and it's an LG. Also, when I tried to register it, the serial number on the rMBP is invalid and doesn't show up in the their system so they are shipping a new one to me and I have to ship this one back. Sucks.

EDIT: Later that day I tried to register the serial number again and noticed it already showed up on my Apple ID account. I called in and they said sometimes with refurbs, it takes a while for you to be able to register it because the serial was under another Apple ID.

Last edited:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I just got my 2.6/16/512 refurb and it's an LG. Also, when I tried to register it, the serial number on the rMBP is invalid and doesn't show up in the their system so they are shipping a new one to me and I have to ship this one back. Sucks.

Wow, I just got the same config.I tried to register and it took it.

On the plus side, think that the next one you get might be a samsung, if that matters.

CedarPoint182

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Considering how the leading cause of rMBP returns was screen issues (at least on most Apple forums), I'm hoping Apple did the right thing and provided many (if not most) of these refurbs with new LSN panels.

How many battery cycles does everyone's refurb have? The first machine I received had 0; this one has 5.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Considering how the leading cause of rMBP returns was screen issues (at least on most Apple forums), I'm hoping Apple did the right thing and provided many (if not most) of these refurbs with new LSN panels.

How many battery cycles does everyone's refurb have? The first machine I received had 0; this one has 5.

Mine was zero.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Launch Terminal and copy/paste this

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Press Enter and if you see LSN it's Samsung, if LP = LG Screen

MikesGravity

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Southeast MI
I had an LG machine for about a month and the hard drive died, so I exchanged for a new one and I knew immediately I had a samsung screen.

I don't necessarily think either is better or worse (IR issue aside). The samsung seems a little warmer and the LG seemed to have better color saturation out of the box but after calibrating, I was happy with both.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Just ordered a refurb 2.7/16/768. I'm really hoping it comes with a Samsung display. I had a 2.7/16/512 with an LG which was beautiful but it did not take long for the IR to really build.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Just ordered a refurb 2.7/16/768. I'm really hoping it comes with a Samsung display. I had a 2.7/16/512 with an LG which was beautiful but it did not take long for the IR to really build.

If I was told correctly by a Senior Advisor [ Apple Care, not the store ], all Ultimate Retinas have the Samsung Display :apple: Of course, this info wasn't revealed very easily or voluntarily!

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
If I was told correctly by a Senior Advisor [ Apple Care, not the store ], all Ultimate Retinas have the Samsung Display :apple: Of course, this info wasn't revealed very easily or voluntarily!

That would be awesome. I will check mine the second I get it. I wonder if, assuming that info is true, Apple decided that before or after the IR complaints began. If after, then mine still might have an LG panel as it is refurbished and could be from one of the first batches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.