Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamie Clay

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Simply solution have a 24 to 48 hour refund window

I'm sure this is the last thing Apple wants because they'll loose money, but if Apple really cared about the customer, they should make all sales pending a grace period (24 to 48 hours) where if you remove the app in that time frame, there is no charge.

If you install an app, remove it within the grace period then re-install it, you're immediately charged (like the store currently does)

It certainly would make scams like this less likely to happen.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
...which thousands of people then purchased.

And never received refunds from Apple.:mad:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This at least has the benefit of someone not downloading a ton of useless apps if they borrow your phone without your knowledge.

The only exception is the bolded part. For me, sometimes I hand my iPhone to my 6 yr old to play with and he knows how to roam the app store very well. If free apps didn't require at least an initial password-authoriztion, I'd get my phone back with pages and pages of newly installed apps. :cool:

Very valid concern, but I think this would be better handled if Apple allowed temporary override of restricted operation. For instance, my iPad is sometimes used by my 4-year son. Under Restrictions, it has both Installing Apps and Deleting Apps restricted. IMO, there should be an option to override restricted operation via passcode.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Do diligence, it's a customer's obligation regardless of how high they think the garden walls are. Always reasearch your apps if you care about your money (and your privacy).

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
And THIS is one of the reasons why I used to pirate something to test it before buying it.

----------

I always liked how "ponzi scheme" sounded, even though it is completely unrelated.

Ponzi schemes could be used for good instead of evil... Gangsters give out loans, don't they? You see where I'm going with this, right? :D

----------

So ... there's no Pokemon Yellow...? *Sniff*

Jailbreak FTW! And this is why iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
:(

I never did this, but it was nice to be able to touch up screenshots without going through approval.

Shame on the scammers who've taken away money from innocent customers and privileges from honest developers.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
As a developer, I has actually thought that they closed this loophole 2 or more years ago (along with stopping developers from gaming the store by adding misleading keywords or trademarks of competitors, etc.) I'm surprised that they still allowed screenshot gaming till today.

----------

While this is a good move, I don't think Apple is going far enough.

At the very least, buyers should be able to report (as well as request for refund) directly from the iOS device ...

Done. You can hit the "Report a Problem" link in your emailed iTunes receipt directly from your iOS device Mail app.

imacintosh.0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Not really -- it's merely a reaction to a problem caused by an inadequate app review process. Apps like this would have never been allowed into the App store if Apple reviewers actually bothered to test them.

Lol. I was waiting to see how someone would spin this negatively. Never gets old.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
You can hit the "Report a Problem" link in your emailed iTunes receipt directly from your iOS device Mail app.

Perhaps the link used to work, but on iOS 6, the link opens iTunes app (not App Store) and it will generate "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" error. The link does work on Mac or PC with iTunes installed, but in my experience, Apple rarely responds to the problem reported.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
As a developer myself, I am happy about this change. Just removes more crap from the App Store so good apps can actually have a better chance to shine.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Eh, there should still be exceptions, or a process of having screenshots approved by Apple.

I always support my games (PC/Steam) with new features, sometimes years after release. And sometimes those new features might change how the renderer works or improves the visuals somehow.
Not that I make iOS games so it doesn't really affect me.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Perhaps the link used to work, but on iOS 6, the link opens iTunes app (not App Store) and it will generate "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" error. The link does work on Mac or PC with iTunes installed, but in my experience, Apple rarely responds to the problem reported.

Hmmm... That's bad.

Maybe someone should try to "Report a Problem" to Apple about their broken "Report a Problem" link. :p

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
These scammers have made it more annoying for genuine devs to change their screenshots dynamically. So we now have to submit an update every single time we want to change the screenshots. Why couldn't these people just find something better to do. It's such a waste of everyone's time.

Not really -- it's merely a reaction to a problem caused by an inadequate app review process. Apps like this would have never been allowed into the App store if Apple reviewers actually bothered to test them.

I'm not sure if you read the first post properly. They do test the apps, but the initial screenshots and icons they submit are NOT of the pokemon yellow you see. Once Apple approves the app the devs can then change the screenshot to bypass further checks from Apple.

So technically the app works for what it was intended to, like that one in the video. But you can't expect Apple to review every single screenshot change.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002

These apps were being reviewed.

The devs were changing the screen shots after they were reviewed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
This actually makes a lot of sense. Good job, apple. I'm also really liking the new icons on the iTunes connect home screen. Any other devs notice that?

Yeah I just noticed that (financial reports have just rolled in).

I remember this whole Pokemon Yellow fiasco.

At the time I was tempted to knock up something similar but then I remembered I'm a normal half decent human being.

Currently slaving my way making a COCOS2D game which is hopefully worth buying and nobody sees as a rip off.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol... good scam.... What that always the way ?

If ya honest, then not to worry.

I wonder what other little "surprises" Apple doesn't know about.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
These apps were being reviewed.

No matter what, must be a very tedious process to review all apps that are pouring in. No matter their process, manual or automated, I think they can't review them in the detail they should.

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Reading comprehension fail.

From the article:
"This small but important update shuts down a widely used scam tactic, where developers would upload game screenshots to get an app approved by Apple and then switch them out with screenshots from another popular app."

See that order of operation? Developers were previously allowed to switch the screen shots AFTER it was approved, thus tricking people. Now they can not switch it after the fact. Under the new rules, the approvers will have a chance to recognized illegitimate "screen shots" that don't belong to the app being reviewed. I readily approve of this move.

Thank goodness! We were all holding our breath!

This is just more proof that the walled garden doesn't always work. When something does happen its because of consumer negligence assuming everything Apple approves is safe and legit. I'm sure reading the description and reviews of the apps in question would have tipped a potential buyer off. Who is going to buy Pokemon when the developer isn't Nintendo? Red flag right there.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
This scam tactic explains why a screensaver app was #48 on the paid charts over the holiday. It had changed the description and screenshots to minecraft. It was so obviously trying to pretend to be minecraft that I wondered how it had managed to stay posted for so long. I couldn't believe so many people bought it thinking it was minecraft. I mean, the real minecraft game was #6 on the charts, meaning they actually scrolled past it to buy the fake one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.