Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Hi,

Is there a way to map it so that enter = navigate into folder?

It is mildly annoying :S

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
lieb39 said:
So did I. But it really is better in the long run I reckon. Way easier for renaming files.

-lieb39
In windows you just hit f2 to rename files. One key stroke per OS. Not that much different or easier.

moogleii

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
In windows you just hit f2 to rename files. One key stroke per OS. Not that much different or easier.

Hmm, I beg to differ. I also found the Enter key for renaming to be insanely irritating for awhile, but after using OS X more, I find it to be much more thoughtful. F2 is totally random in comparison, and requires more hand movement.

I like to use keyboard shortcuts a lot, so my hands are often in the home typing position. In OSX, if I want to rename a file, bam, I hit enter, and my hands are already in position to type. Hitting F2 requires either a full left hand lift plus a look, or a less reliable blind finger reach. Then I have to move my hand back to commence typing the new file name.

Under both OSes, I need to lift my right hand off to the arrow keys to move around the file system. With OSX, once I'm at a file I want to open, my right hand's already at the arrows. Cmd+down. Done. With Windows, I'd have to reach back to the enter key.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
It did take a while to get used to doing things the OSX way after decades of using windows. I'm not sure if either or is a better solution, just whatever one's more used to. I do wish that OS X had some win7 features, like when renaming a bunch of files in Win7, just press Tab to move to the next file.

Or pressing alt+key to access menu functions.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
also apple+down arrow

zach

Which I use all the time. The one thing I'd like would be if you could have a one-hand keystroke combo (ideally, a left-hand combination) so you can navigate folders with one hand while keeping the other hand on the mouse (or holding a cup of coffee, or holding your loved one.. or kid... or dog... ;) )

Edit - just realised - epic thread bump!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.