Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

engelbeaugt4149

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Maine
I have a 4th generation iPod Touch that I got off eBay that wasn't as described. I'm going to try to work it out with the seller, but I want to know how much I should ask for back. Here are the details:

• Latest iOS update installed
  • Missing piece on top right of screen (doesn't effect interaction at all)
  • Screen is loose
  • Power button doesn't work
  • Speakers don't work

If you were a buyer, what's the most you would pay for this?
Thanks for your help!

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
I wouldn't have bought it to begin with so . . . nothing.

Get ALL your $$ back and get a perfect specimen.
That thing's probably been dropped, kicked, & who knows what elsed on.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
$50 max. Power button broken? Not good.. A part missing? Errr...... Latest iOS.. Ok sure that's ok. Screen lose? Sigh...

Personally I wouldn't buy it at all.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I have a 4th generation iPod Touch that I got off eBay that wasn't as described. I'm going to try to work it out with the seller, but I want to know how much I should ask for back. Here are the details:

• Latest iOS update installed
  • Missing piece on top right of screen (doesn't effect interaction at all)
  • Screen is loose
  • Power button doesn't work
  • Speakers don't work

If you were a buyer, what's the most you would pay for this?
Thanks for your help!

I would return it for a full refund, especially if none of those issues were disclosed.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
So you are willing to keep a damaged iPod instead of getting your money back? Also, you should be able to decide what it's worth to you. We have not seen it and this can't judge.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'd return it and get all your money back. It's not worth your time trying to fix this or use it the way it is.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Sounds like he tried to replace a cracked screen after watching a video tutorial from the internets. Unfortunately he didn't heed the warning with the pry tool near the power button, nor did he get the application of the new screen quite right.

I'd say it's worth about $10US. To get it up to snuff, you'd have to purchase a power button cable ~$10US, speaker ~$10US, tape ~$10US, possibly a little soldering and about 4 hours to refix his fix. Then it should be as good as new and worth about $60US - $80US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.