Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTStarkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
I own a MBP and an iPhone 4S, but no iPad as of yet. I just wanted to get some opinions before going for one. I was dead set on the Mini, just because I love the smaller size and lower price because, when it comes down to it, my purchase of an iPad is almost exclusively for reading comics. I'll no doubt find other uses for it, but for right now, it's why I've held off for so long buying one. I really just want something nice to read comics.

Do any of you use the Mini for reading ComiXology in full screen mode, and if so how is it? I use guided view on my iPhone 4S and MBP in Safarai, but I'm not in love with the feature. It constantly leaves small details offscreen and you never see them. Is the non-retina Mini screen sufficient to be able to read a page clearly when in full screen mode? I wish I could test this, but the store models don't have ComiXology installed on them.

I'm sure they look amazing on retina iPads (I'm still not completely against going for the full iPad), but $329 for a comic reader is already pushing it. :)

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
I own a MBP and an iPhone 4S, but no iPad as of yet. I just wanted to get some opinions before going for one. I was dead set on the Mini, just because I love the smaller size and lower price because, when it comes down to it, my purchase of an iPad is almost exclusively for reading comics. I'll no doubt find other uses for it, but for right now, it's why I've held off for so long buying one. I really just want something nice to read comics.

Do any of you use the Mini for reading ComiXology in full screen mode, and if so how is it? I use guided view on my iPhone 4S and MBP in Safarai, but I'm not in love with the feature. It constantly leaves small details offscreen and you never see them. Is the non-retina Mini screen sufficient to be able to read a page clearly when in full screen mode? I wish I could test this, but the store models don't have ComiXology installed on them.

I'm sure they look amazing on retina iPads (I'm still not completely against going for the full iPad), but $329 for a comic reader is already pushing it. :)

I have always used a full size iPad until I returned my iPad 4 to upgrade to a bigger 15" rMBP. I have been without an iPad for a few weeks now and have been missing reading my ComiXology comics. This morning I broke down and picked up a iPad mini...

So far my experience with ComiXology has been pretty good! I really only use the iPad for reading. The colors & texts look good. I haven't looked at in panel mode yet. I never liked panel mode on my iPad 3 or 4 (still looked pixelated)

At my local Apple Store & Best Buy they had The Walking Dead downloaded to the iBook app. I looked at that and it seemed great but in B&W. Maybe you can look and see if the same is true in your area. Maybe download ComiXology to an iPad mini in the store. i noticed a lot of apps being installed by customers.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010

Here is a screen shot of the Green Arrow on my iPad Mini

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 501

JTStarkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Thanks for the replies, guys! :cool:

PS Eagerly awaiting Jeff Lemire's jump onto Green Arrow in the coming months.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
The Mini is great for reading comics, but there will be times that you need to turn it portrait and read panel by panel. Some comics the lettering is too small to read in full page view, but most times its ok. I just bought a Ipad 4 for just that reason, that comics and Magazines are better on it. I use the mini for taking with me and the 4 for at home

odonnelly99

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Austin, TX
Thanks for the replies, guys! :cool:

PS Eagerly awaiting Jeff Lemire's jump onto Green Arrow in the coming months.

Didn't know he was going to be writing that book. I've enjoyed his work on Animal Man.

----------

The Mini is great for reading comics, but there will be times that you need to turn it portrait and read panel by panel. Some comics the lettering is too small to read in full page view, but most times its ok. I just bought a Ipad 4 for just that reason, that comics and Magazines are better on it. I use the mini for taking with me and the 4 for at home

Agreed. Nothin' beats reading comics on the iPad 3/4 (other than reading the print copy of the book :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.