Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
My imac is perfect beside being able to hear fans when there is no tv, music, or noise anywhere else. They are always audible. Not loud but, still audible. Just sounds like fans blowing air constantly. Does everyone else have the same? My OCD is going crazy thinking its abnormal. Though maybe I should suck it up as my imac is always cool to the touch. Any Input fellow Imac users?
I've contacted apple and they weren't much help. Said if anything i could bring it to an apple store so they can take a listen. Though I would like to make taking my 2500 dollar computer to the mall a last resort. :D

Nov 28, 2010
located
There is only one fan and it idles at 1,200 RPM.
You can use SMC Fan Control to see the current speed of you fan, but you cannot let it spin slower than the idle speed.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
There is only one fan and it idles at 1,200 RPM.
You can use SMC Fan Control to see the current speed of you fan, but you cannot let it spin slower than the idle speed.

its always at 1200 even when i play mine craft. I guess nothing is that demanding ive done so far. Though the fans when idling are still audible.

Nov 28, 2010
located
its always at 1200 even when i play mine craft. I guess nothing is that demanding ive done so far. Though the fans when idling are still audible.

Again, it is only one fan. If it is that audible, you either have a very silent environment (I can hear my three 2007 iMac's fans only when it is silent in the room) or your fan is a bit damaged. Maybe make a recording and upload it somewhere for others to hear.

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2012
I just picked up the new late model iMac 27", i7, 16gb, 1tb fusion, 2gb video card. My mac is virtually silent. The only way I can hear it in a completely silent room is to put my ear right up to the back of it. Sounds like you might have an issue. Might be best to have it checked out while it still won't cost you anything.

cmitchel

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
There is an issue

I just received my second late 2012 i7/1TB Fusion/16GB iMac after returning the first with dead pixels - it was all but silent - could not hear a thing.

The replacement just received has an annoying background fan noise that is not loud but very audible - and was not present on the first unit I received.

There is clearly a difference between units - I will be contacting Apple - probably another replacement as I am not going to drive it 140 miles to the nearest Apple shop.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.