Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Anyone else seeing this? I have had my new late model 27" iMac for about two weeks now and am just noticing some small bubbles just under the glass on the screen. It almost looks like someone touched the screen with greasy fingers. I've noticed approx 4 or 5 of these (1/16th to 1/8th of an inch in diameter) and they don't change in size over time. You can really only see them when viewing the screen with a white background, but now that I know they are there it's driving me nuts. Anyone else notice this? I have not seen a word of it on the forums. I ordered my iMac two days after the became available for pre-order, so it's possible I got mine from an early batch where they were still working out the manufacturing bugs (trying to make the promised December launch).

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Doesn't show up that great on the pics, but you should be able to make out the smear/bubble in the middle of both pics. See attached.

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 1,612
  • Pic2.JPG
    Pic2.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 1,447

LCD

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
USA
Same in my 21.5" first off line?

Returned a 21.5" ordered @ 2:55AM Nov 30 with something like this I could only describe as a 1/16th inch diameter blotch seen on white backrounds.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Anyone else seeing this? I have had my new late model 27" iMac for about two weeks now and am just noticing some small bubbles just under the glass on the screen. It almost looks like someone touched the screen with greasy fingers. I've noticed approx 4 or 5 of these (1/16th to 1/8th of an inch in diameter) and they don't change in size over time. You can really only see them when viewing the screen with a white background, but now that I know they are there it's driving me nuts. Anyone else notice this? I have not seen a word of it on the forums. I ordered my iMac two days after the became available for pre-order, so it's possible I got mine from an early batch where they were still working out the manufacturing bugs (trying to make the promised December launch).

Take it back seems the obvious answer.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Take it back seems the obvious answer.

I second this. You're in warranty, and frankly, if at any point you're dissatisfied, get it replaced. You paid for it, you don't have to settle if there's a defect.

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
I'm considering taking it back, but I doubt it's a 'popped pixel'. One of the bubbles is under the dark edge of the glass around the screen as well. It really just looks like a bubble under the glass - similar to what you might see when installing a screen protector on an ipad.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Now I remember I thread a couple of weeks ago, not sure but I think they thought/said it's a popped Pixel.

Edit: If you do a search here and search for Popped Pixel you'll find more.

Here is one thread.

1/16 inch? That's one BIG pixel! :)

It wasn't me who said 1/16 inch, and as you can read in my own post included above (For your convenience) I said: but I think they thought/said it's a popped Pixel.

posey

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
yah i got a new 27in imac2012 as well and noticed this same issue.. just curious, did you do anything to fix it? did you have apple replace it? right now, there is a long delay on 27in and i'm not sure if apple can me another one if i decide to go that route.. its not bothering me that much but i paid 2K for this machine, i expected the display to be flawless.. :(

----------

Returned a 21.5" ordered @ 2:55AM Nov 30 with something like this I could only describe as a 1/16th inch diameter blotch seen on white backrounds.

just curious, did you return this at the store and did they give you a brand new one right away? or did they ship it to you? what about the data you put on your existing 21in.. did they just move the hard drive over?

thanks..

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
really sorry to hear about your problem. Clearly Apple is having issues getting these displays made, and this might just be one that snuck through QC. I suggest you call Apple Care and or visit your local Apple store/reseller. Good luck, and I am sure you will have a new machine if you want.

LCD

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
USA
yah i got a new 27in imac2012 as well and noticed this same issue.. just curious, did you do anything to fix it? did you have apple replace it? right now, there is a long delay on 27in and i'm not sure if apple can me another one if i decide to go that route.. its not bothering me that much but i paid 2K for this machine, i expected the display to be flawless.. :(

----------

just curious, did you return this at the store and did they give you a brand new one right away? or did they ship it to you? what about the data you put on your existing 21in.. did they just move the hard drive over?

thanks..

The Apple Online Store in the US never heard of 'advanced replacement' that I've read about in this forum so on Dec 26 a replacement arrived 8 days after shipping the 1st one back. It had 1 dead pixel. I returned it on Jan 2 for a refund that I'm still waiting for with which I'll buy a Mini.

When I got the replacement, I used a clone of the 1st 2012 iMac with Migration Assistant at startup but had problems with support files for Logic & GarageBand (JamPacks) not migrating. So I used Carbon Copy Cloner to move the system that took a long time to get right on the 1st 2012 iMac because of similar issues to the replacement.

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
So far I have not taken it back. I also expected the machine to be flawless, but to be honest, I don't notice the any longer. I only see them when looking closely at a white screen and once again there are only a few of them on this large display. I should probably take it back, but I have spent two weeks configuring this one and getting all my software loaded up on it and don't want to have to deal with transferring it to a new machine. Also, I don't want to be without a machine for an extended period of time. And last, I can't really imagine myself lugging this large machine back to the nearest Apple store in the mall. I'll probably just keep it.

Vuddha

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
How many other having Bubble Problems

I also Had Bubble problems::mad:
I have 27" IMAC

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

768GB Flash Storage

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
From China

I received it on Jan 3 and called the problem in on Jan 4
I mailed the IMAC back - at their expense
Received the replacement Jan 16 checked it out. It looked good. after a couple of days I noticed the bubbles again. Like you, even in the Black around the screen. I can use your finger nail and could push it out, I only did one to see if it would do it.
I am wondering if:
1. The 21" are having the same problem?
2. If it is only the 27" is it from one factory?
3. Is it only the custom ones?
4. Will it get worst with time?
5. If you push out the bubble will it come back?

I am going to take pictures if it shows up on the Pictures and see if it gets worse. This is my second one with the problem. After paying over $3000.00 for it it should be right.:mad:

Put a white background you should be able to see the dots. Check your screens

NikkiNikk

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
I dont have any bubbles/dead pixels under my 27" screen, but a light yellow gradient. i calibrated the screen to reduce it, and it helped a bit. But these bubbles are not correctable, you should return your computer!

my light yellow gradient is ... some kind of annoying, but acceptable. but these bubbles will get on your nerves i guess!

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Wow, I never thought to simply try to press it out with my finger. It worked great. Can't even see the bubble I tried it on. So far I only tested it out on the black border. I'll try the screen next.

Ok, tried it on the screen and it worked like a charm. I had about 12-15 of these 'bubbles' and now after some gentle pressing and rubbing, they are all gone. If anyone else has this issue, rest assured, it's an easy fix. Hopefully now they won't return.

Last edited:

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Doesn't show up that great on the pics, but you should be able to make out the smear/bubble in the middle of both pics. See attached.

If it was mine, I would ask for a replacement. That is a lot of money to pay for anything defective and I use PS CS 5 and that would bother me if I was trying to edit a photo and seen those bubbles. However if by you pressing the bubbles out and it works then great but watch it and if it comes back they will always come back. Then if they're turn I would return the iMac.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
If it was mine, I would ask for a replacement. That is a lot of money to pay for anything defective and I use PS CS 5 and that would bother me if I was trying to edit a photo and seen those bubbles. However if by you pressing the bubbles out and it works then great but watch it and if it comes back they will always come back. Then if they're turn I would return the iMac.

Is be very wary of putting pressure on that display. Especially at the ( ultra thin) edges. There is a thread or 2 here about screens being broken

What would happen of you smashed it pushing bubbles out. Does that then become the customers fault rather than Apples?

Not an situation I'd like to find myself in. Just look at the guy on here and how much stick he got when nobody believed him. Luckily Apple did

Just be careful

Last edited:

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Is be very wary of putting pressure on that display. Especially at the ( ultra thin) edges. There is a thread or 2 here about screens being broken

What would happen of you smashed it pushing bubbles out. Does that then become the customers fault rather than Apples?

Not an situation I'd like to find myself in. Just look at the guy on here and how much stick he got when nobody believed him. Luckily Apple did

Just be careful

Very true.. If there is anything wrong with mine, there is no way I am going to try fixing it myself and risk damaging it more, which would allow Apple to say "Screw you, you took it into your own hands to fix it, which you shouldn't have, now you've damaged it, and you want us to pay for the damage you caused?" lol. DEFINITELY not a situation that I wanna find myself in, lol.

Vuddha

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Very true.. If there is anything wrong with mine, there is no way I am going to try fixing it myself and risk damaging it more, which would allow Apple to say "Screw you, you took it into your own hands to fix it, which you shouldn't have, now you've damaged it, and you want us to pay for the damage you caused?" lol. DEFINITELY not a situation that I wanna find myself in, lol.

I returned the Second IMAC I received with the same Bubble problem as the first. Maybe the third is the charm? I went to the Apple Store with my second one to show them the Bubbles before I shipped it out. The Tech took a soft cloth and rubbed the bubbles out then proceeded to ignore that problem and talk about the second problem I was having Which was having a 2Big Quadra USB 3.0 6T Raid external drive that drops out of the Finder when the computer goes to sleep which I had to restart the computer to get it back on the finder. Also I was getting auto restarts on the computer. I told him that my concern was the bubble coming back over and over again. he kind of didn't reply to that saying that I was going to replace it so that should clear the issues.
So I am waiting for my Third computer.

jeffreyamsay

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
iMac 27 in display complete with air bubbles

I too have an iMac with dozens of air bubbles. One seems to have spread out to a smear. They are invisible in ordinary use, yes, but what a defect! Obviously, air was trapped between two surfaces that were welded together.

The iMac is almost as heavy as the formidable Power Mac G5. What a pain to
schelp it up and down a flight of New York steps. And what a hassle to set up a new computer, having just done so with the bubble Mac.

I live a block or two from the Broadway Apple store. I might as well live on the moon. I'm still going to have to toss my iMac into a taxi.

Gowron2013

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013
Same screen bubble issue on 2 Imacs

I had a similar problems with the new 27" Imac purchased in December 2012. The apple store in Troy, Michigan immediately gave me a replacement when I brought the unit into the store. Now the replacement is doing the same thing as I have 18 little bubbles under the surface overlay. Additionally the unit sounded like it had bumble bee's inside the case when in use for a few hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.