Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to file a claim. I dropped my device in the toilet while giving birth to a cigar.

Please see photo attached

Last edited:

ARandomFellow

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
I don't know--I've seen some people test this and it doesn't work. And I'm not talking they dunked it in water and pulled it out--I've seen people just quickly drop it in water and pull it right back out, and the phone died every time.

I don't trust it.

That's weird, because I dropped my iPhone 5 in a pail of water and took it right out and it is fine. And mine isn't even treated.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Sho Nuff!

be sweet if they ever incorporate this into the device from the factory!

That's what I've been saying for over a year!

:D :D :D :D

----------

Two comments:

1. Even if Watersafe 2.0 were used in, say, iPhones, Apple might not want to disclose that fact. The last thing any cell phone manufacturer would want is half their new handset customers dousing their phones in the the nearest faucet or dipping them in their Diet Cokes. Every time someone asks "Is that one of those waterproof phones?"

2. Liquipel would take over the world if they introduced a "Dirtsafe" car wax that repels dirt as well as Watersafe 2.0 repels water. Is nanocoating the next car wax innovation?

I'd prefer a coating that makes a devise water-resistant and make it float!

:D :D :D :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If I could pass all my handheld gaming devices, and iPad and iPhone through a magical mist of this stuff, these guys would get all my money.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
perfect to coat the top of a laptop, and the keybed, or under the keybed.

i wonder if it can handle hot coffee/tea?

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
The iPhone is actually pretty darn resistant to water already. I tried washing my 3GS, and was surprised that blasting water towards the screen and the back, did nothing to it. Just see for yourself:

But its weak points are the openings, mainly the speakers and connectors. If they could just manage to make those more resistant somehow. Water shouldnt really be a problem at all. Unless you´re actually trying to kill your phone, like I was.

Also, since the iPhone 5 is made much more compact, with less cracks and parts, in a unibody process - I imagine it is even more resistant to water than the 3GS.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
When they start covering intentional dips in water, then I'll be interested in this. I want to know what I paid for actually works. Otherwise, I may as well buy a warranty that covers water damage.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
pretty nifty stuff..

Too bad Leo didn't read the directions before dunking his phone. But now it can go longer .......

Not finding a use for this, except the usual "manufactures backing up peoples criteria, by allowing them to randomly drop their devices"

Putting responsibility on the manufacture, not the consumer is bad idea.

People don't drop it, then its fine, but what are the risks by people saying "We can now "accidentally" dunk our phones in the shower/bath etc... but it doesn't matter *because* i have this product... save my bacon.."

My response... if customers aren't gonna look after their phones, then companies must step in and go to the measure. of allowing users to freely do this knowing that it will protect them.

no more responsibly these days. At least a case is a bit better.... there is no crazy idea of getting it wet.... (this company does know its electronics right ?)

Maybe its just a "cool" factor.. I dunno *shrugs*

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
I don't know--I've seen some people test this and it doesn't work. And I'm not talking they dunked it in water and pulled it out--I've seen people just quickly drop it in water and pull it right back out, and the phone died every time.

I don't trust it.

Can you post a link or source to what you're talking about? I almost had this done, but was hesitant because I wasn't sure about real-world use.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL

That's actually a pretty reasonable request. The new Xperia lineup at CES (as dreadful as the Xperia line normally is)...actually has waterproofing for up to 3ft straight from the factory.

Pretty cool.

Last edited:

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Does the technology that can determine if a phone was accidentally vs deliberately submerged also come from the surface of the sun? :cool:

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Why would I want this when I have a Lifeproof? That is all I need :rolleyes:

Can't tell if ur being sarcastic, but I hope so. Because lifeproof cases are aesthetically horrible. I own one because my 2 young kids have iPad. But unless I was a Bering sea crab fishermen, I would never consider one on my phone.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
BAD NEWS for Apple.

This was GOT to be the worst bad news for Apple. Apple makes a lot of money by replacing water damaged devices. If word gets out that Apple could with near triveal effort make their devices water proof people will demand that Apple does this at the factory. It will not only cost apple an extra $1 per device for the treatment but will cut off the revenue stream.

----------

I'd prefer a coating that makes a devise water-resistant and make it float!

I have a marine hand held VHF radio. (Kind of a fancy walkie-talkei that works on the radio frequencies used on ships and boats.) This device was 100% water proof and you could dump it in a water tank for hours. It would not be hard for Apple to make something like this. Just some rubber seals and so on. the radio cost a LOT less than an iPhone.

And yes I had a floating cover for it.

We will have to wait for Samsung to offer a waterproof phone, then Apple will be forced into making their's waterproof.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
This is ********. Any treatment which allows headphones, charger to still be used (e.g. conducting electricity) will obviously not protect against water. Dunno why people don't realise that simple fact.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
When they start covering intentional dips in water, then I'll be interested in this. I want to know what I paid for actually works. Otherwise, I may as well buy a warranty that covers water damage.

Exactly! I could set up a company tomorrow and advertise 'Kalsta's Magical Waterproofing' for $59 a pop, then just send customers' phones back to them without doing anything. I'd be taking a gamble, but say only 1 out of 30 customers experiences a dead phone from water damage—I could replace their phone and still make a handy profit.

appleisgod

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
No, it does not. Applecare does not cover any accidental damage.
Just had my water damaged iPhone 4S replaced for $49. Trust me. They do replace everything except for lost and stolen phones up to two times under the plan.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

I believe the droid razr incorporates something similar from the factory. (yup just checked, all the droid razr phones have a nano coating appiled to the internal electronics and exterior) Its definitely possible.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.