Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b0redom

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2007
So, I have a shiny new late 2012 iMac on my desk. I also have a Dell 2713HM monitor.

What is the best way to connect them up? Has anyone ACTUALLY done it? Apple have been pretty useless at telling me what cable I need. I've had everything from TB->DVI, TB+USB->DVI, HDMI.

I need to know it will drive the display at native resolution, so 2560 x 1440.

It will allegedly require the use of DL-DVI or DisplayPort.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
So, I have a shiny new late 2012 iMac on my desk. I also have a Dell 2713HM monitor.

What is the best way to connect them up? Has anyone ACTUALLY done it? Apple have been pretty useless at telling me what cable I need. I've had everything from TB->DVI, TB+USB->DVI, HDMI.

I need to know it will drive the display at native resolution, so 2560 x 1440.

It will allegedly require the use of DL-DVI or DisplayPort.

I guess, you need a mini-dp-to-your-dell's-connector adapter.
One of these: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/ho...tKind=adapter&m.tsConnections=minidisplayport

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'd go with something like this. You can't use a thunderbolt cable. This is a common misconception. Displayport is ideal there, and adapters are to be avoided whenever possible in favor of a single cable solution. You mentioned native resolution. What problems did you have?

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
All you need is either a

Mini display port to hdmi cable

or

Mini display port to Dvi cable

That's it.

patrickdmiller

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
This is the same setup I have driving the dell @ 2560x1440 from the 27" imac. The mini displayport->dvi didn't work - just static - I believe this is because it requires dual-link dvi.

I don't think HDMI can support 2560x1440

What I ended up using was a imac -> mini displayport to displayport adapter->display port cable -> dell monitor. This has worked fine. You should be able to bypass the adapter and just use a mini displayport to displayport cable.

b0redom

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2007
Thanks for the replies.

@patrickdmiller - do you have the mini display port cable plugged into a TB port?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

@patrickdmiller - do you have the mini display port cable plugged into a TB port?

I sometimes plug in the cable I mentioned before into my macbook pro if I want to use the larger display on it. It's not the monoprice one specifically, but a displayport to mini displayport. The adapter is an inferior solution if you can do it with one cable. DVI has several standard. Pick the wrong one and it doesn't work. With that resolution you absolutely would need dual link. The 30" displays of the DVI era all required dual link cables. The display you purchased is made to use displayport. Forget DVI exists. It's there for legacy purposes. If you have an older machine with a DVI card, you can still use it that way, but it makes no sense to use it voluntarily.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Just use mini-display port to displayport cable assuming your dell has display port. My dell 2412 has one. For some reason apple does not make it very obvious this type of cable will work and instead just shows you adapters that you don't need. Thunderbolt and minidisplayport are the same size connector. It also supports resolution over 2560x1440

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B119B-007J-UltraAV-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B004065DAC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357869306&sr=8-3&keywords=mini+displayport+to+displayport

b0redom

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2007
Thanks for that. Ordered the same cable, but from Lindy here in the UK. It's a bit cheaper than the £80 cable Apple tried to sell me!

DFWHD

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
Not to hijack the thread, but can any of you comment on the picture quality of the Dell 2713HM monitor compared to the iMac or TB Display? I'm thinking about buying one for my mid 2012 MBP, but am also torn between the TB Display or just getting a 27" iMac for the horse power it offers...

Thanks!

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Not to hijack the thread, but can any of you comment on the picture quality of the Dell 2713HM monitor compared to the iMac or TB Display? I'm thinking about buying one for my mid 2012 MBP, but am also torn between the TB Display or just getting a 27" iMac for the horse power it offers...

Thanks!

Just in case you are not aware, here's Dell's just released 2713H.

DFWHD

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
Just in case you are not aware, here's Dell's just released 2713H.

Thanks. If I spend that much I'll lean towards the new iMac. Are the Dell monitors comparable in PQ to the Apple displays? I use Photoshop and Lightroom to edit photos, but am not a heavy user these days, mostly a hobbyist.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
The biggest difference at the 27" size is the dell monitors use an anti-reflective coating. At that price point it is a tough choice. The reason I got a dell monitor was I didn't need the 27" size, so a $300 24" dell monitor was a more reasonable option.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for that. Ordered the same cable, but from Lindy here in the UK. It's a bit cheaper than the £80 cable Apple tried to sell me!

That cable wouldn't have worked anyway. Apple's clueless salesmen try to sell people some really stupid things at times. Thunderbolt cables can't be used for standard displayport displays.

Thanks. If I spend that much I'll lean towards the new iMac. Are the Dell monitors comparable in PQ to the Apple displays? I use Photoshop and Lightroom to edit photos, but am not a heavy user these days, mostly a hobbyist.

All I can say is buy it directly from Apple. That way if the uniformity is bad, you can return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.