Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john556

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
RFC

I'm new here and to macs, but it seems to be something to do with the spring tension of the lcd being opened.

Example, if I slowly close the lcd while at the same time tapping the corner, the foot seems to change its position slightly and the micro wobble disappears.

John

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Same problem here with my 2 week old MBA. *sigh* I don't feel like wasting time taking it in though. It's not that big of a deal but with a new product stuff like this is annoying

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
RFC

I'm new here and to macs, but it seems to be something to do with the spring tension of the lcd being opened.

Example, if I slowly close the lcd while at the same time tapping the corner, the foot seems to change its position slightly and the micro wobble disappears.

John

I noticed this relation to the LCD also and a Genius told me that was the reason. I think that it only seems that way because the front lifts off the more you tilt the lcd back so its the weight of the display changing the center of gravity thats causing the foot to lift.

My 2011 Air had this and I had the bottom screws tightened and the problem went away but would sometimes come back. My 2012 air also has this issue even with the screws tight but it doesn't bother me. I think it isnt the unibody that is flexing but just a tolerance on the bottom cover as it seems to go away if you press on the affected foot but comes back after a while.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Right here. The underbodies of these things, while overall quite sturdy, are pretty easy to introduce some mild flex into.

I've had 2 11" MBAs, and they routinely get uneven (usually 2-3 mm off on foot) because my main mode of operation is to program with them in my lap rather than flat surfaces.

Huh. I wonder if that's why mine is also slightly uneven as well. I do a lot of work in cabs, buses and subways, so it's always on my lap.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I wonder if tolerances are different depending on the chassis. My Air is tough as a rock, which is fortunate since I've kind of abused it. I once even stepped on it when I woke up and with the full weight of my body (I stupidly placed it on the floor right beside my bed, and I'm a 6 ft 190lb guy) and it sort of slid about a foot with me on it. Imagine someone slipping on a banana peel, but a MacBook Air. It's still doing great to this day (knock on wood). What I do know is that my old PowerBook or Macbook would have imploded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.