Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
How about the Wargame - made for the BBC, and was deemed too shocking to show? I think it went on general release as a result. (Don't know if it made it outside the UK.)

There was another BBC made for TV one called Threads and I remember that one being broadcast and all the huge fuss at the time. Again not sure if that one made it out of the UK. Think it might have done as itt was quite (in)famous at the time.

Also When the Wind blows by Raymond Briggs.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
How about the Wargame - made for the BBC, and was deemed too shocking to show? I think it went on general release as a result. (Don't know if it made it outside the UK.)

There was another BBC made for TV one called Threads and I remember that one being broadcast and all the huge fuss at the time. Again not sure if that one made it out of the UK. Think it might have done as itt was quite (in)famous at the time.

"The Wargame" I have never seen, but it's going on the list of to see. Boy are my local Library going to be busy.

"Threads" I did see and was a very well watched here in the Netherlands, far better than the trashy "The day after".

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I saw "The War Game" years ago, as an undergrad, when it was shown in a university art house cinema. At that time, it had not been broadcast in the UK. Deeply disturbing, brilliant and characteristically very well made.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not a favorite but I think that one of the ones with the most impact is

"On the Beach"

This film fascinated me as a child with it's end of the world scenario.

Letters from Iwo Jima.

If you look at the old traditional war movies, possibly due to censorship issues, when people died, they just fell over. I'm thinking of something like the Longest Day. When any war is displayed realistically in film, showing its brutality and sufferings such as LfIJ or Saving Private Ryan, it immediately becomes an anti-war film.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Not sure I'd call it anti-war, but "Lord of War" was a great movie. Nicholas Cage is a black arms dealer and it's pretty eye-opening.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Just saw Full Metal Jacket again for the first time in a while. Great movie, Love Vincent D'Onofrio. Others I've enjoyed include Jarhead and Three Kings.

full-metal-jacket-screen-caps-full_metal_jacket.jpg-38461d1289768146

Last edited:

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Full Metal Jacket

The problem with Full Metal Jacket is that it's also a recruiting movie. If you watch FMJ any decent sized group of young soldiers or marines, you probably won't be able to hear most of the movie because everyone is reciting half the lines. FMJ might well be the most quoted military movie amongst soldiers, period. Maybe it's a Jungian thing.

definitely adding Grave of the Fireflies here, which, like Paths of Glory, doesn't even show any battle scenes - everybody suffers painfully including the viewer, very existentialist, some hope is left or restored, no happy end.

Grave of the Fireflies is one of the greatest movies ever made, and one of the most effective. Certainly, it is among the saddest movies I've ever seen.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
There's the Australian film "Gallipoli," that's excellent.

And I'd also add "The Thin Red Line," which is maybe more "thinking about the horrors of war" than "anti-war" per se.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the great Peter Sellers anti-war movie The Mouse That Roared.

Funny and very relevant during the cold war.

Another one is Coming Home with Jane Fonda and Jon Voight.

But I do love the smell of napalm in the morning. ;)

I first saw the Mouse That Roared in 1969, then for the first time since then, the other night. I forgot how good that movie was. Peter Sellers was brilliant in the 3 characters he played.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I first saw the Mouse That Roared in 1969, then for the first time since then, the other night. I forgot how good that movie was. Peter Sellers was brilliant in the 3 characters he played.

He must of made a habit of that (thinking of Dr. Strangelove). ;) I forgot he died young (54).

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
A couple of films about the most brutal front of WWII:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

Idi i smotri (Come and See) about the occupation of Belorussia and the horrific anti-partisan campaign waged there told through the eyes of a boy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343703/

Brestskaya krepost (The Brest Fortress) about a Soviet border stronghold that held out for 9 days after the German invasion (though some pockets held on for a month or so after that).

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
My fave anti-war "movie" is The Day After, an early '80s made-for-TV feature starring Steve Guttenberg and Jason Robards.

Well, well, well... it just so happens that YouTube has the full movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2B7sdLPMfc
Skip forward to about 54 minutes into the video to see the "stuff hit the fan".

Meh. I didn't care for it. I thought it was shallow and special-effects driven.

I think a much better film is Testament, with Jane Alexander and William Devane. It's contemporaneous with "The Day After", but could not be more different. Warning: link contains plot summary, i.e. spoilers.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I think a much better film is Testament, with Jane Alexander and William Devane.

Yeah, this movie is great, I've been watching it twice. War isn't even shown there, but atmosphere of slowly dying city is so sad and overwhelming. When I saw this title in your post, it sent shivers up my spine... Some movies you can't forget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.