Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedesco24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Does anybody know of an app that will let me assign hotkeys to always paste the same information?

For example, I have 4 addresses that I use. It would be nice if I could use Control + A for the first address, Control + B for the second address, Control + C for the third address, Control + D for the fourth.

A google search comes up with apps like CopyPaste Pro, Jumpcut, etc. I'm not interested in one of these clipboard storage apps because it's probably faster to just type in the address rather than open the menubar, find the copied address, click on it, close the menubar, and get back to my document.

Thank you.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does anybody know of an app that will let me assign hotkeys to always paste the same information?

For example, I have 4 addresses that I use. It would be nice if I could use Control + A for the first address, Control + B for the second address, Control + C for the third address, Control + D for the fourth.
You can use a text expander app, such as one of these.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Maybe the following text expanding / text macro applications* can help:

Such applications are text replacement utilities to insert blocks of text into other applications by simply typing a few user defined keystrokes. Anytime a user defined keystroke combination is typed, it is substituted with the replacement text.
Example: you type "email1" and that text expands to "thisismyemailaddress@hotmail.xxx".
It might not work with passwords though.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I'm still looking for something that will allow me to assign function buttons to perform actions. Example: type "1-3600" then "TAB"(key). This is for accounting entries.

Quick keys used to work, but not with Mountain Lion. Is there an external device like a mouse or keypad that can be custom assigned for a few repetitive tasks?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I'm still looking for something that will allow me to assign function buttons to perform actions. Example: type "1-3600" then "TAB"(key). This is for accounting entries.

Quick keys used to work, but not with Mountain Lion. Is there an external device like a mouse or keypad that can be custom assigned for a few repetitive tasks?

Better Touch Tool might work.

garymkrieg

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
I had the same need and ended up using KeyRemap4MacBook, it's free, although I found trying to get it to do what I wanted to be possible it took some time to figure out how to accomplish.

Gary

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
BTT works fine on my ML.

It's a little quirky but this worked for me.

BTT
  • select the app you want to write macros for
    keyboard
    Add new shortcut - your key combination
    Here's the quirk - 1 keypress at a time
    Add new shortcut e.g.
    Attach another action
    Attach another action
    Attach another action
    [tab]
    Attach another action

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
BTT works fine on my ML.

It's a little quirky but this worked for me.

BTT
  • select the app you want to write macros for
    keyboard
    Add new shortcut - your key combination
    Here's the quirk - 1 keypress at a time
    Add new shortcut e.g.
    Attach another action
    Attach another action
    Attach another action
    [tab]
    Attach another action

I couldn't get it to work for me. It wouldn't accept anything except function keys as input. The docs state Snow Leopard only, so I guess Mountain Lion is hit or miss. I'll keep trying. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.