Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exvidious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Lake Grove, New York
I'm new to iOS programming, and don't have much experience at all with programming. I'm looking to see if maybe someone can please point me into a good starting direction to learning about programming for iOS, as I'm very interested in it. Thankyou in advance.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Here's my advice: learn programming first, then learn Objective-C programming, then learn iOS programming.

There are resources that claim to teach you Objective-C without any prior programming experience (so you could skip that first part) but I am in no position to judge them, since I already knew programming before learning Objective-C.

Also, what type of resources do you learn best from? Books? Videos? Online tutorials? Something else? Find the educational materials that match your preferred style.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Here's my advice: learn programming first...

That's my advice as well. You don't usually take a kid who's never driven, and start them out with flying lessons the pilots seat of a real multi-engine jet aircraft. Something more like a trike with training wheels is where they first start out.

So start with a simple educational programming environment, maybe even one meant for school kids. Learn to code, design programs, solve problems and fix your bugs. If that goes well, then move up to Objective C and Cocoa, which are far more complex.

Punkjumper

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
One of the most helpful things for me was using many sources. I'd get through 2 chapters of a book and start to get confused then start another book and read the same subject or section until I had it down. Read forums a lot just to get used to what people are asking and try to understand the answers. I found it hard to work through one book straight through. And would read different sources until I totally understood the concepts. Of course the useful thing is you have to do it every day. And not just read but write code. Don't copy paste but actually type the examples out. Write code every day.

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
I second this. The Big Nerd Ranch books are very good. I used/use their Objective-C and iOS books.

They worked for me too, but to touch on what dejo said, I strongly recommend you start with the Objective-C book and don't try to just dive into the iOS book first; though the iOS book has a small section in the beginning which reviews the basics of Obj-C, it won't be sufficient if you don't already know it at least as well as the Obj-C book tells you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.