Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgctx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Hey Guys, have a quick question, wanted to know if this is standard Apple practice or a "Genius" making his own terms ?

On Jan 2nd my wife upgraded to a iPhone 5 @ the Apple store, she had the iPhone 4 before. We went to the store they transfered everything to the new phone, etc etc. We were about to leave and the guy was going to install a case she bought, he went to remove the Apple screen protector (that comes from the factory) and noticed it had a scratch (we had noticed it, but thought at first it was just a scratch on the screen protector), he immediately switched it out gave us another phone and were on our way.

A few days later she notices some dead pixels on the screen not just one, it was 3 in one area, we take it to a Apple store on 1/9. The "Genius" looks at it, messes around with it for about 10 minutes, then says let me try to restore it as "new" it should fix the issue (i know it wont), im like fine. 20 Minutes later he comes and finds us and says "im going to replace the phone", so we get out replacement, leave, wife is happy.

Later on i check my email for the receipt and noticed the Genius wrote this,

Problem Description/Diagnosis
Issue: Display on device appears to have three dead pixels.
Steps to Reproduce: Verified issue. Advised this may occur on any phone. Restored device but issue still appears.
Proposed Resolution: Will swap device for customer and set proper expectations going forward. She understands this will be last swap for cosmetic issue.
Cosmetic Condition: Normal wear.

The guy never mentioned to us any of the "Resolution" details, how can there be no more swaps for cosmetic issues when we haven't even had the upgrade for 30 days ?

How is the customer at fault for issues that were caused by the factory ?

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
They may have just been covering their behind from their management for swapping out the second phone to you.

It is odd, because Apple's own policy for dead pixels (this was covered on Engadget) screen sizes between 1"-3.5" get replaced with just one dead pixel and up to 9.7" can be swapped out if you have 3 or more dead pixels. So you were completely in the right to get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.