Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opscwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Is there any discussion or rumors of a new 27" Thunderbolt display following the new Imac format, Ultra thin, USB3.0, phenomenal graphics?

Thanks,

OPS :)

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
There's been no word afaik but it's surely going to happen. I'm waiting (im)patiently, I want one to accompany my new Mac Mini. Hopefully within the next 6 months.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
There's been no word afaik but it's surely going to happen. I'm waiting (im)patiently, I want one to accompany my new Mac Mini. Hopefully within the next 6 months.

The next 6 months?!?! I don't wanna wait that long!

We need to pressure Apple into releasing it NOW.

This is getting ridiculous. I want a new large monitor but Apple is making me impatiently wait. This is getting uncool.

Deprecation

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I understand your pain. I really want to invest in a TB display, but I also want them to update the resolution, USB 3.0, etc ... I'm also curious whether they will enter the television industry later this year.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
A TBD with the new design is coming, that is for sure. But when will it come? Who knows. Given how long it has taken for the 27" iMacs to come, it will be awhile, as I'm sure Apple would rather build the screens into iMacs first before as separate display.

We probably won't see it until spring, maybe summer.

Ironclaw27

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Man... I've been waiting a loooooong time for it to come out, like a year or so!

can't...hold out.....much....longer.....must....

I'm really hoping it comes out jan-feb-march, I don't think I can take it much longer than that.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I would buy the current TB display if they updated it to include USB3. I'm not going to spend $1100+ on a display that is carrying old tech.

Moule

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Why do you think to wait until spring, summer?

We probably won't see it until spring, maybe summer.

Actually the 27' iMacs are on the market, so why should it take so long to build a new housing, including USB 3 etc. The new panel exists!
Except the production capacities are at the limit with the new 27' iMac.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Actually the 27' iMacs are on the market, so why should it take so long to build a new housing, including USB 3 etc. The new panel exists!

You answered your own question. The priority is on the iMac, which constitutes a much higher volume product than the relatively niche ATD. As such, it commands lower internal engineering resources and isn't high up on the to-do list. Given the limited panels, etc, they're right now being purposed to the iMac.

The update is pretty inevitable, but I'm 100% certain that a resolution increase won't happen. I posted another thread asking about people's opinions on the retina ATD, which I personally don't think is necessary.

If you really need one, just buy it now. Of course, if you can hold off, then just wait, but don't get your hopes up for new features. Realistically, the only things that will change will be the slimmer design and USB3. Everything else is likely to stay the same, including the actual panel and image quality. IMO, the new design is sexy from the side, but it's not really something you'll ever notice or even look at otherwise or in day to day use. USB3 wasn't an issue for me personally since I use either 2.0 or just TB devices.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

You didn't use the rest of my quote, my reasoning is there. The 27" iMacs, though now on sale, are still in limited quantity, probably due to the new screen manufacturing. If you try to order a 27" iMac today, it has a ship time of 3-4 weeks, vs the 7-10 days for the 21.5" and as I said before, Apple would probably see the displays being used in iMacs first then TBD. Once the demand has been filled and production ramps up, we'll see the new TBD go on sale.

I still stand by my spring-summer prediction, and if I had to put actual months on it, I would say between March and June, leaning more towards March.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I think it's logical to think it will be announced as a small portion of Apple's next event, likely in March.

One thing that puzzles me is why Apple doesn't build a 21.5" Thunderbolt Display as well in the $599-$699 price range for people who would like an external display that isn't $1,000. It would be just as easy to build in-line with the base level iMac panels.

You'd also think they could sell a bunch of them if they offered say, $100 off when purchased with a new MacBook Pro or something. Anyway, I'll be getting the updated 27" display once available to go with me 13" rMBP. :D

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I think it's logical to think it will be announced as a small portion of Apple's next event, likely in March.

One thing that puzzles me is why Apple doesn't build a 21.5" Thunderbolt Display as well in the $599-$699 price range for people who would like an external display that isn't $1,000. It would be just as easy to build in-line with the base level iMac panels.

You'd also think they could sell a bunch of them if they offered say, $100 off when purchased with a new MacBook Pro or something. Anyway, I'll be getting the updated 27" display once available to go with me 13" rMBP. :D

Maybe they don't build a 21.5" TBD because there aren't many consumers out there that want to pay $600-700 on a 21.5" monitor when they can go to their local Best Buy or Wally World and buy a generic one for $100-200.

Moule

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
two reasons for me to wait

The update is pretty inevitable.

Well, there are two reasons for me to wait for the new TBD, allthough the technical update might be pretty inevitable. Yes, I like the thinner design - instead of having this thick monster display on my desk.

But more important the reduced reflection, which I was able to compare between a current TBD and a new iMac 27' -

I know there a better displays out there from other manufactures, but... personal choice :apple:

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
If you really need one, just buy it now. Of course, if you can hold off, then just wait, but don't get your hopes up for new features. Realistically, the only things that will change will be the slimmer design and USB3. Everything else is likely to stay the same, including the actual panel and image quality. IMO, the new design is sexy from the side, but it's not really something you'll ever notice or even look at otherwise or in day to day use. USB3 wasn't an issue for me personally since I use either 2.0 or just TB devices.

The other benefit of waiting if you can is the benefit of resale value.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Well, there are two reasons for me to wait for the new TBD, allthough the technical update might be pretty inevitable. Yes, I like the thinner design - instead of having this thick monster display on my desk.

But more important the reduced reflection, which I was able to compare between a current TBD and a new iMac 27' -

I know there a better displays out there from other manufactures, but... personal choice :apple:

That's a very good point I forgot about. That is probably the one thing I really hate about it, it's not usually an issue but there are times when the sun hits it and it becomes quite annoying.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Maybe they don't build a 21.5" TBD because there aren't many consumers out there that want to pay $600-700 on a 21.5" monitor when they can go to their local Best Buy or Wally World and buy a generic one for $100-200.

Perhaps, but there are also 27" displays that consumers can get for a lot cheaper than $999 as well, but Apple still sells it.

Find me an aluminum enclosed 21.5" 1920x1080 LED backlit, IPS display with speakers, a webcam, and 2 Thunderbolt ports for $100-$200.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Find me an aluminum enclosed 21.5" 1920x1080 LED backlit, IPS display with speakers, a webcam, and 2 Thunderbolt ports for $100-$200.

Never said there was anything equal to the TBD that sells for cheaper. One reason why I am impatiently waiting for the updated 27" TBD. However the general consumer looking for a monitor to go with their new mac mini will look at screens and most likely not care about ports, IPS display...etc. The dollar is king and if they can get a no name 21.5" monitor for $100-200 at Best Buy, I'm sure it would be hard to convince them to spend $600-700 because it has IPS display, webcam, TB ports, USB 3 ports...etc.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Never said there was anything equal to the TBD that sells for cheaper. One reason why I am impatiently waiting for the updated 27" TBD. However the general consumer looking for a monitor to go with their new mac mini will look at screens and most likely not care about ports, IPS display...etc. The dollar is king and if they can get a no name 21.5" monitor for $100-200 at Best Buy, I'm sure it would be hard to convince them to spend $600-700 because it has IPS display, webcam, TB ports, USB 3 ports...etc.

You're talking about Apple people here man. If Apple came out with a toaster for $500 there'd be a line around the block. If there's a market for $1,000 27" display I think there's probably a market for a $600 21.5" Apple branded display that matches your new MacBook Pro perfectly:p

Again, I want the 27" (went from a 27" iMac to a 13" rMBP in October)...just making a case for Apple to go back to the multiple display options that they once had (remember the 20", 23" and 30" Cinema Display?)

Grover088

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
New York
Think the new display will come out with updated apple tv integrated? I almost jumped on a current "open box" at best buy for $800+ the other day, but held off as I would kick myself if they updated in a few months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.