Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Finally! Hands down best medium duty iPhone case for the 4/4S now for the iPhone 5. Released for CES 2013. Just placed my order.

Ion5_productpage_13.jpg

Last edited:

BoomstickMafia

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
Just saw the email on this.

What gets me is the carbon fiber. It looks to cover about half of the iPhone antennae on the top and bottom of the back side of the phone.

They had to stop supplying the CF with the S5. Maybe the TPU will still allow signal to reach the phone uninterrupted?!?!

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Just saw the email on this.

What gets me is the carbon fiber. It looks to cover about half of the iPhone antennae on the top and bottom of the back side of the phone.

They had to stop supplying the CF with the S5. Maybe the TPU will still allow signal to reach the phone uninterrupted?!?!

I gotta think that it isn't a issue being they just released the ION 5 in this configuration after the S5 issue. But only one way to find out. I will post my review.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Case looks cool for $49.95 however, to ship to the U.K. (where I live) its an additional $30 for Fed Ex plus the fact that we always seem to also incur Customs charges on top which bumps up the total price to nearer the $100 mark, which simply makes this case not worth the money.....:(:(

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I gotta think that it isn't a issue being they just released the ION 5 in this configuration after the S5 issue. But only one way to find out. I will post my review.

Please also comment on weight and size of access for connections (ie. will lightning cable to 30 pin fit? How open is the headphone jack?

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Great looking case, I think I will get one if I can get it to the UK cheaply. Do element only deal direct?

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I would cop that in a second but sadly I'm waiting for the TakTik Extreme.

----------

Looks good but I don't like that much lip around the edge

I like alot of lip around the edge... wait were talking about cases... Nevermind my bad :p

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Nice. But waiting and hoping they release a Formula 4 for the iPhone 5. By far my favorite case.

http://www.elementcase.com/Formula-4-Black-w-Carbon-Back-p/api4-1310-kf00.htm

BDoggPrelude

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
Hmm. Tempting. Anybody want to speculate on whether or not this case will fit with the Bodyguardz Pure glass screen protector?

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Nice. But waiting and hoping they release a Formula 4 for the iPhone 5. By far my favorite case.

I initially liked the Formula series case but after time the two halves just didn't fit together well and it felt loose and creaky in my hand. I am no way rough with my iPhone and I never really took the case apart. Also, having the separation seam drove me nuts as well. I was much happier with the ION series.

----------

Looks good but I don't like that much lip around the edge

I gotta have the lip. Protect that chamfered edge!

As Bruce Dickinson said...."I gotta have more lip!"

----------

Hmm. Tempting. Anybody want to speculate on whether or not this case will fit with the Bodyguardz Pure glass screen protector?

I have a SPG Anti-Glare on there now (forget the actual name). Most likely not as thick as your glass protector but I will comment on the fit.

----------

Please also comment on weight and size of access for connections (ie. will lightning cable to 30 pin fit? How open is the headphone jack?

I will, here is a pic of the bottom in the meantime.

API5-1210-KF00-4T.jpg

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
The ion4 was my all time favorite case for ip4s...but they took away some of the best features for this ion5....the ion 4 had dimples around the outside edges which helped with grip and feel...it also had extra coverage below that involved the home button, which made it quick and easy to feel and find the home button...i also liked how the old one had the volume buttons exposed but recessed and covered...

Looks like they wanted this one to resemble their aluminum models too much...aint broke, dont fix it

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Texas
The ion4 was my all time favorite case for ip4s...but they took away some of the best features for this ion5....the ion 4 had dimples around the outside edges which helped with grip and feel...it also had extra coverage below that involved the home button, which made it quick and easy to feel and find the home button...i also liked how the old one had the volume buttons exposed but recessed and covered...

Looks like they wanted this one to resemble their aluminum models too much...aint broke, dont fix it

Hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. What a total fail! Why on earth did they do that? I agree that made a great case an excellent case. Now, not sure how this will feel in the hand and if it will make the case to "slippy."

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008

I dunno. I had the formula 4 with the same sides as this new ion 5 and grip was just fine. Don't think this is a issue as the TPU material is tacky enough for grip. I like the look of this design better. Almost looks like they combined the best from both series. We shall see.

djbobbless

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Just got my Ion 5 case in.. few things I noticed right away is the front of the case near the volume buttons are very sensitive. I could push the top lip and accidentally lower the volume on my ringer/sound. The feeling of the case although is great. One other thing is the packaging is pretty neat, similar packaging just like the sector 5 and what not. Comes with a screen protector and wiping cloth as well. Going to upload some photos later and contact element case in regards of the volume button sensitivity issue.

Another thing I just noticed is you'll want to make sure your screen protector is centered well, if it's leaning to the left or right just slightly a little it will lift. Wished I had a glass protector to inform if it fits with.

2s9wsaq.jpg

2mbjvd.jpg

21o3o1t.jpg

1zx1vr4.jpg

9zyeza.jpg

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
Is it loose at all? I'm curious in this case and I never got to try the past versions. Looks nice!

djbobbless

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Is it loose at all? I'm curious in this case and I never got to try the past versions. Looks nice!

There is a complete lip over the phone so this should offer decent drop protection.

As for fitment, it is pretty snug with the phone. There is some flex in the tpu but thats in order to slide the phone in without excessive force of course. I don't see it getting loose in the long run. I had the same case for the 4S and it was great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.