Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbhughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Hi,

So I've spent a good amount of time browsing forums and troubleshooting every possibility. I installed Refog, a keylogger, over 2 years ago and instantly deleted it. Turns out I never uninstalled it, thus it has been taking 1mb screenshots every 5 minutes for a very very long time. It's accumulated upwards of 120GB of jpgs.

Now, I've used Disk Inventory X to see where these are hidden, in the library folder called .refog. Problem is that after unhiding the library folder, there is no .refog folder. I've also used the Disk X application to "Show in finder" the folder, and it just takes me up to the library folder. I've /.refog via the finder go to page. Tried directly deleting from Disk X.

Refogs solution is to reinstall the application and then uninstall and have it delete the logs created by clicking the check box. Problem is that this only deletes the logs created in those 2 minutes from me installing and then wanting to uninstall.

Pretty much at a loss as I just can't figure out how to delete the files, let alone even get access to the folder containing them. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

dbhughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I'm at a loss about the d the the shift for s_etc, the video goes too fast and doesn't explain it. Can you possibly just give a step by step?

----------

As in I can't just type in refog and then run through the hidden files as there is no refog to begin with.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm at a loss about the d the the shift for s_etc,
I am sorry, I do not understand what you want to say with the above.

the video goes too fast and doesn't explain it.
Again, what is not explained?

Can you possibly just give a step by step?
A step by step can be found in the link above the video called "Best way to FULLY DELETE a program without the need of any additional, inefficient applications", unless you refer to the other first video, thus please specify what your problem is with the guides. You can pause them too.

As in I can't just type in refog and then run through the hidden files as there is no refog to begin with.
Then everything should be gone, if you entered "refog" and enabled "File visibility" and included "visible and invisible items".

Unless you borked the search, in which case you should probably use this to view hidden files in Finder:
Mac OS X – Show / Hide Hidden Files in Finder
or use muCommander to see hidden files/folder without going via Terminal.

dbhughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I just tried the second video with the steps, can find refogs hidden files, but the .refog file is still mia.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I just tried the second video with the steps, can find refogs hidden files, but the .refog file is still mia.

And have you checked File Visibility and enabled "Visible or invisible"?

For step by step instructions look at the linked text guide between both embedded videos.

dbhughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Ahhh Refog

A mans best friend when he thinks his girl is cheating on him. Boy was finding out sweet

Actually no, roomate was doing shady things on my computer while I was away.

In response to sims, first off thanks for your help.

The deleting of the application isn't the issue, it's a "."xxxxxx file that isn't associated with the program that I'm having trouble with, thus the second video and tutorials don't pull it up. I tried the Finder code for terminal, but it didn't pull it up.

With the first video though, I just can't understand the ds_store. It looks like it's a d, then a s_store due to the ^, but the uppercase would make it uppercase, which it doesn't appear like that in the finder. And the d disappears, which doesn't in mine.

----------

And let me add, I'm not looking for .DS_store.

----------

Disregard previous statement about having issues with the first video. Just ran that, but the .refog file is still invisible and unable to be found

Nov 28, 2010
located
With the first video though, I just can't understand the ds_store. It looks like it's a d, then a s_store due to the ^, but the uppercase would make it uppercase, which it doesn't appear like that in the finder. And the d disappears, which doesn't in mine.
ScreenFlow shows the modifier keys while being pressed, but also takes its time to let that overlay disappear.
The SHIFT key was only pressed for the underscore, nothing more.

The .ds_store file was only used as an example.
The dot before ds_store indicates a hidden idem, in this case a file. If it would be hidden folder, like the Trash for example, it would be .Trashes.

It seems, that the hidden file you look for either has a different name or has disappeared or is located outside your search criteria.
Since I am not in front of your computer, I cannot see, what you do, thus I have to rely on your reports.

I recently used the method I linked to (finding hidden stuff and uninstalling stuff) to make an updated video for uninstalling stuff, and it worked without problems for me for finding hidden and not hidden stuff.

----------

Disregard previous statement about having issues with the first video. Just ran that, but the .refog file is still invisible and unable to be found

Then what are your exact search criteria?
Can you make a screenshot and attach it to your next post?

dbhughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
This is what I'm working with.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 11.50.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 11.50.24 PM.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 353

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Actually no, roomate was doing shady things on my computer while I was away.

In response to sims, first off thanks for your help.

The deleting of the application isn't the issue, it's a "."xxxxxx file that isn't associated with the program that I'm having trouble with, thus the second video and tutorials don't pull it up. I tried the Finder code for terminal, but it didn't pull it up.

----------

----------

Oh I was referring to myself... Sorry if I spammed your thread

dbhughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
When doing it, it pulls up a .refog2, but the standard .refog is mia still.

dbhughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 12.02.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 12.02.18 AM.png
    197.2 KB · Views: 3,332
Nov 28, 2010
located
When doing it, it pulls up a .refog2, but the standard .refog is mia still.

As I am not in front of your computer, I would just like to check what settings you chose. Nothing more.

----------

Also add the "System Files" criterion to see, if it shows up and limit the search to the Library folder via going to that folder and pressing CMD+F.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

dbhughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
As in this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 12.05.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 12.05.29 AM.png
    273.7 KB · Views: 328

dbhughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
As I am not in front of your computer, I would just like to check what settings you chose. Nothing more.

----------

Also add the "System Files" criterion to see, if it shows up and limit the search to the Library folder via going to that folder and pressing CMD+F.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

Yeah, going to the library didn't affect it, still just pulling up the .refog2

Nov 28, 2010
located
So the "System Files" criterion did not help either?
What happens if you right click on the folder in Disk Inventory X and select "Reveal in Finder" and then go up one folder via CMD+ArrowUp?

1183xpz.png

dbhughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Nope, just brings me to the library folder, with no .refog folder. It's seriously frustrating haha. I might just have to take my computer into apple to have them take a look at this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.