Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Seriously? I ordered Dec 8th and it just change to "preparing for shipment" this morning. I have been reading a dozen bad threads on some issues others are having with their iMacs. I am quite worried. The screen issues are what worries me the most. Hopefully someone can help me look more forward to my 2K machine, instead of worry about getting one with problems.

Thanks

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Seriously? I ordered Dec 8th and it just change to "preparing for shipment" this morning. I have been reading a dozen bad threads on some issues others are having with their iMacs. I am quite worried. The screen issues are what worries me the most. Hopefully someone can help me look more forward to my 2K machine, instead of worry about getting one with problems.

Thanks

all i have to say to you is that im wating on my third late 27inch imac.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
See I don't know what to look for when I get it, but if you go and look for issues you will find them.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
yall need to relax
i am sure we will get the imacs we want and problem free and if there is a problem we can return
but if ur OCD then u are on ur own cuz thats a personal issue

Dont fret :cool:

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Just picked one up yesterday at the Apple Store and I am very happy! No yellow issues or ghosting. Yes it has some backlight bleeding when watching a movie but I feel is range of normal considering my Large LED tv's also have this too.

Very powerful computer!

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
See I don't know what to look for when I get it, but if you go and look for issues you will find them.

well i was using my second one when i started to watch a video and notice one of the side was super yellow and way brighter than anywhere else, also when i move to another window after using one for about 8 mins i can still see the other one burn in the screen, because it has really bad image retention i didnt look for anything i using it as normal use and i just saw all those issues, the first one had weird really loud rattling noise, how cant i not notice that?? it isnt that im looking for issues its just right on my face.. i pay hard earned money i dont want something with any issues.

----------

mine is flawless...

no tinting no retention no bleeding?? good man its good to hear there are some good ones out there.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I think that you just have to exchange until you get a good one, if you get a bad one. That would be easier if they had them at the store. Some people get a good one the first time, but personally I feel that there are more bad ones than good ones because I've seen more bad ones than good ones with my own eyes at the store.

I had image retention on my new iMac, and I returned it. Then I bought a 27-inch Apple Cinema Display, and I returned it due to even worse image retention. While I was at the store returning the Cinema Display, I looked at a new 27-inch iMac on display, and it had image retention. So, I feel like its a widespread problem because of my experience. But others say they have a perfect one.

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
well i was using my second one when i started to watch a video and notice one of the side was super yellow and way brighter than anywhere else, also when i move to another window after using one for about 8 mins i can still see the other one burn in the screen, because it has really bad image retention i didnt look for anything i using it as normal use and i just saw all those issues, the first one had weird really loud rattling noise, how cant i not notice that?? it isnt that im looking for issues its just right on my face.. i pay hard earned money i dont want something with any issues.

----------

no tinting no retention no bleeding?? good man its good to hear there are some good ones out there.

You should get your computer exactly as you expect or why buy one. Have you tried to get one directly from your local store?

themcfly

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011

no tinting, no retention and no bleeding. also checked for the weird idle noise the processors does, nothing. The screen is a little different from other, if you're not looking into it from straight forward, it looks like it brightens on the corners, especially on black backgrounds and low brightness: but it's not an "issue", it's only a property of this technology.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I have been reading a dozen bad threads on some issues others are having with their iMacs. I am quite worried.
So, 12 instances of problems. Let's be kind and call it 40.

Let's say Apple has sold 400,000 of the new models so far, which seems conservative based on past numbers.

Even if you can point to 400 instances of problems with iMacs, that's 1 in 100,000.

And you can take it back and get another one if it is defective.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
You should get your computer exactly as you expect or why buy one. Have you tried to get one directly from your local store?

well mine is built to order they usually dont have those in the stores, i so i cant just go in just pick one up

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
no tinting, no retention and no bleeding. also checked for the weird idle noise the processors does, nothing. The screen is a little different from other, if you're not looking into it from straight forward, it looks like it brightens on the corners, especially on black backgrounds and low brightness: but it's not an "issue", it's only a property of this technology.

yeah i know exactly what you mean i now remember the first imac i got the screen was perfect no retention but it did had some bad black in the corner however it wasnt an issue its just the technology like you said. the last one that i currently have is really really bad though the retention is really bad one side its completely brighter than the other with really bad bright hots spots on the left side you can see it not only on black backgrounds but also with darker shaded colors.

----------

yall need to relax
i am sure we will get the imacs we want and problem free and if there is a problem we can return
but if ur OCD then u are on ur own cuz thats a personal issue

Dont fret :cool:

i wish it was that simple.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
well mine is built to order they usually dont have those in the stores, i so i cant just go in just pick one up

There is one BTO version of the 27" iMac that's now sold as the standard high end model in Apple retail stores. It's model no. MD580LL/A, with 3.4GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, and the 2GB GTX 680MX GPU. The US and Canadian price is $2599.00. If you prefer the Magic trackpad, or wired keyboard, they can be substituted for at the store.

I would guess that this is likely the most ordered BTO configuration.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
There is one BTO version of the 27" iMac that's now sold as the standard high end model in Apple retail stores. It's model no. MD580LL/A, with 3.4GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, and the 2GB GTX 680MX GPU. The US and Canadian price is $2599.00. If you prefer the Magic trackpad, or wired keyboard, they can be substituted for at the store.

I would guess that this is likely the most ordered BTO configuration.

REALLY???? i didnt know that THANKS for the info. how did you find out about this.. it doesnt say it anywere in the store.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
REALLY???? i didnt know that THANKS for the info. how did you find out about this.. it doesnt say it anywere in the store.

If you bring up the model/pricing info on the iPad next to a 27" iMac there are three models shown. The $2599 top end model, MD580LL/A, has the above mentioned specs. I bought mine yesterday, totally surprised that they actually had one in stock, but I got there in the morning right after it was entered into stock from a shipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.