Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
My MacBook Pro is not booting at all. I try to power it on and I hear the optical drive spin but no chime and the screen remains black. The battery indicator light on the side works as does the keyboard(caps lock lights up). After about 5 min of nothing it automatically shuts off. I tried resetting the SMC and same issue. I replaced the RAM sticks and still same problem. I then removed both RAM sticks and tried to boot up and got several beeps upon powering up. I am thinking it is the logic board or the GPU after looking around the Internet. For the past few months I've had this problem intermittently. I would power on and I would get the chime but a black screen for a couple minutes before it started to boot correctly but this is the first time I haven't gotten the chime. Would it be a battery problem? Logic board battery? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I would suspect that you may have a bad PRAM battery, or one that is going bad. (Although, since you said that the issue used to just be temporary, but now seems to be permanent, leads me to suspect that the PRAM battery was previously going bad, but is now completely dead.)

Note: PRAM battery is not the same battery that is used to provide main power to your system. It is much smaller, and for lack of a better description, kind of looks like somebody took a small watch battery, stuck a couple wires around it, and then wrapped it all up in plastic insulation, leaving the two wires sticking out (+ and -). Can't get to it without removing the logic board from the notebook chassis, so it's not a very easy/quick job to replace.

alexmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Thanks for the reply and insight. Would that effect boot up and not getting a chime? I always thought those batteries were like CMOS betteries and just held the time and stuff.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
A dead PRAM battery wouldn't cause it to not boot - and MBPs newer than 2008 don't have PRAM batteries.

How is the white light on the front of the laptop behaving?

alexmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
When I first start it up the white light comes on then goes off

alexmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
17inch Mid 2009. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.8-aluminum-17-mid-2009-unibody-specs.html

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Dead PRAM batteries certainly can stop a system from booting. I've seen it happen several times ... Just not on a mid-2009 MBP.

Try SMC reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

alexmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Yeah I already tried to reset SMC and nothing. I'm confused now. Does the 2009 MBP have a PRAM battery or not?

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Your system has PRAM, but not a PRAM battery. (Your first post did not specify which MBP you had, so I suggested PRAM battery as a possibility, because the symptoms you described could be caused by that ... in systems that have a PRAM battery.)

The PRAM batteries provided a trickle of power to PRAM to keep system time and a few other settings functioning. In the unibody MBP's, the function of the PRAM battery is now done by the main internal battery of the MBP, and a lot of the data that was managed previously by the PRAM (in earlier MBPs) has been moved elsewhere, so that these days the PRAM only deals with a handful items whereas before they'd handle two to three times as much things. With that in mind, it could also be possible that your main battery is having issues. You'll have to take in to an authorized service provider or an Apple store to get it looked at to verify that.

If it's the logic board, you'll also need to take it in to be verified. So, either way, you'll need to take it in somewhere to get looked at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.