Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 27-inch iMac continues to be in short supply, with Apple quoting 3-4 week shipping estimates for new online orders, compared to shorter but still substantial 7-10 day estimates for the smaller 21.5-inch models. Even before launch, the new iMac was projected to be in short supply into 2013, due in large part to issues with Apple's new display assembly process that includes laminating the display directly to the machine's cover glass.

imac_27_display_2012.jpg
Digitimes now reports that the display lamination issue is still a problem for Apple supplier LG Display, with the larger 27-inch panels seeing lower yields than the 21.5 inch displays.
LG Display has reportedly been facing full lamination issues while producing the panels, slowing down shipments of the 27-inch device to 100,000 units a month, added the sources.

LG Display, however, has secured strong yields for Apple's new 21.5-inch model, which currently has reached monthly shipments of 300,000-400,000 units, noted the sources.
The report does claim, however, that LG is moving toward better yields of the larger displays, with greater availability set to come next month. The improved yields should reduce what appears to be the main bottleneck in iMac production, thus leading to greater availability and shorter shipping estimates for new orders.

Apple's redesigned iMac is considerably thinner than its predecessor and contains 40% less volume, changes that have been enabled by a number of technological advancements such as the lamination to create thinner and more vibrant displays and the use of advanced welding techniques. Those advancements have not come without challenges, however, as seen with the displays holding back production on the larger iMac models.

Article Link: Yields of 27-Inch iMac Displays Expected to Improve Next Month

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I'm glad I pulled the trigger on day 1. I debated picking one from the local store here but I'm guessing I still wouldn't have one....

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Hopefully with the supply of 27" displays improving, we'll soon see a 27" Thunderbolt monitor with this new display tech (and physical design), coupled with USB 3.0 ports.

unsung719

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
still waiting for mine.

Hopefully with the supply of 27" displays improving, we'll soon see a 27" Thunderbolt monitor with this new display tech (and physical design), coupled with USB 3.0 ports.

i'm looking forward to this as well.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
This is 2013, you'd think they would have figured out these amateur manufacturing supply/demand issues by now...

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
Enjoying two 27" at our office, glad I snagged 'em on launch day. Delivered on Dec 18th. I find it hard to believe they can only yank out 100,000/month that must be just the tip of the global demand.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I just ordered one this morning. I'm in no real hurry to get it, but 3-4 weeks will be the longest I've ever waited for an (non-preorder) Apple order. Hopefully they really can get production issues worked out and begin to meet demand soon.

Last edited:

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Awesome, now update the LED thunderbolt Cinema display with the new screens, and usb 3

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
ordered uk day 1
got mine around dec 19, doa unit, replaced jan 4th.

great machine, would have prefered 256gb SSD instead of my 1tb fusion ... happy camper :) along with my new air 11' im ready to create!

davedev100

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Ordered mine on day 1 too. Received it in Dec., far earlier than estimates. It is very sweet and well worth the wait.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Knowing that there is a problem with yields makes me uneasy about owning one. Hopefully when the display is made and sold to Apple it won't have any problems down the road.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
How are these sales compared to last models sales? It seems in short supple not due to popularity but due to issues with LG's laminated display. Numbers would be good here.

Apple's redesigned iMac is considerably thinner than its predecessor and contains 40% less volume

I still can't believe Apple shrunk down the edges to make it "appear thinner". Removed ODD, same processors (speed wise, yes I know they're the new Intel class, but the general speeds across models has remained the same), 2.5" 5400 RPM HDD on 21" model, USB 3.0 and 32GB RAM max seem the only benefits. Honestly, this model seems a step backwards in hardware to give the appearance of a "thinner" iMac when it really isn't. Having worked behind the bar before the iPhone launch, iMac's are a PITA to diagnose/repair/disassemble. Using glue/tape instead of magnets to hold the glass/LCD in place is disappointing. I laughed when a former colleague of mine said Geniuses now have Elmer's in the back.

Previous iMac Tech Specs

Current Gen iMac Tech Specs

Last edited:

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Or they could have made it only slightly thicker and avoided this problem. The race to make the thinnest things possible is ignorant especially in the desktop market.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Still guessing this means new Thunderbolt displays are a long way off. :(

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Hopefully Apple will start honoring my corporate discount on the iMac like they used to. I know they are making cutting edge, but come on.

Ed A.

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
Southern Connecticut, USA
I just sent my new 27" iMac back today, I got it on December 17th. I'm a videographer and I made the mistake of getting it configured with a 3TB Fusion Drive. If you're going to do anything that uses large files, the SSD part of the Fusion Drive fills up and doesn't transfer the rest of the data to the HDD part as it should. I got an error message saying the drive is full (for an 80GB video file), and the apps (Compressor and FCP X) just freeze. I've also had data corruption with the Fusion Drive because data is swapped between the SSD and HDD drives causing data integrity problems.

I just ordered another iMac, this time with a conventional 3TB HDD, but delivery date is approximately February 11th. :mad:

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
It's not just a race to the bottom in thickness.

The smaller and lighter an item is, the easier and cheaper it is to pack and transport. And with a smaller array of hardware to include (goodbye, CD), the power footprint is smaller too. It all ends up saving money for all involved.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
This is 2013, you'd think they would have figured out these amateur manufacturing supply/demand issues by now...

An iMac is a complicated piece of kit, especially the new ones. To call issues such as these "amateur," whatever you mean by that, is ludicrous.

I mean, this is 2013, you'd think ignorant people would have stopped disrupting forum discussions by now... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.