Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Anyone having this happen to them?

It's ONLY over a wifi connection. MMS is turned on under messages. It's the same whether I'm trying to send a normal MMS or one over iMessage, it just won't go through.

Wanted to see if anyone had any solutions before I went in to see Apple.

la79

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Was happening to me also. Haven't tried recently however. I believe it could be an imessage thing. Meaning something wrong with Apple servers.

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
It's been doing it for over a week now though, so it's very annoying.

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
I would suspect that something needs to be provisioned by your carrier. It is worth a check.

Of course, you should do a clean restore first.

already done 2 restores...both set up as new, never restore from backup.

la79

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
already done 2 restores...both set up as new, never restore from backup.

Just checked. My phone working fine over wifi when I send MMS messages. Are you sure everyone you are sending a message to has an Iphone? It will only work like that.

Also imessage could be out in your area. Happens.

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Just checked. My phone working fine over wifi when I send MMS messages. Are you sure everyone you are sending a message to has an Iphone? It will only work like that.

Also imessage could be out in your area. Happens.

My girlfriend is literally right next to me, also has an iPhone 5 with T-Mobile just like I do, and it will not go through to her. But she can send it to me. We're both obviously using the same WIFI connection.

And if it matters, it's not a public wifi, it's a house wifi with a secured connection.

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
The fact that you're on T-Mobile makes me think it is a carrier issue. Have you tried resetting your network settings from the Settings app?

But she can send me MMS over iMessage and she's got the same phone...so how would it be carrier?

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
I suspect that there may be an error in your provisioning (how the carrier manages your account and its features). Your line could be configured incorrectly. It happens all the time.

Also, have you tried resetting your network settings?

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
I suspect that there may be an error in your provisioning (how the carrier manages your account and its features). Your line could be configured incorrectly. It happens all the time.

Also, have you tried resetting your network settings?

Just did the network settings...nothing changed. So I'll call T-Mobile.

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Called T-Mobile....checked everything on their end, resent the signal to my phone, checked to make sure I got all the settings right on my phone.

Still nothing.

So they said to take it to T-Mobile and have them put it in a Note II to see if it's my SIM. If not, take it to Apple.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
delete your conversation with your gf and start a new one and see if that works...sometimes the database gets corrupted and messages wont work. Similar thing happened between my wife and I last week, I could send her stuff but she couldn't send me things...deleted our conversations on our devices and started fresh and worked fine

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
MMS cannot be sent over Wifi. The network MMS uses is behind carrier firewalls and thus can only be reached over the 3G/LTE connection.

Yes, this is annoying, especially when texting large images which wastes your data plan. No, there's nothing you can do other than E-mail the image or use iMessage.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
MMS cannot be sent over Wifi. The network MMS uses is behind carrier firewalls and thus can only be reached over the 3G/LTE connection.

Yes, this is annoying, especially when texting large images which wastes your data plan. No, there's nothing you can do other than E-mail the image or use iMessage.

Yup

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Keep in mind he can't send MMS when he is connected to wifi. He should still be able to send via the T-Mobile network data connection.

Correct. I can send MMS from home when connected to my wifi. It automatically sends it via the Verizon network instead. Should do the same for the OP.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Exactly.
MMS doesnt send via wifi.
It needs carrier data. So if you dont have a data plan or the correct apn settings setup it will not send or receive mms.
Again, MMS CANNOT be sent over wifi.

Graphixx30

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
The OP is texting from an iPhone to another iPhone. This uses iMessage and iMessage does in fact send it's text and MMS messages over WiFi.

Copied directly from Apple's website about iMessage:

If you’re a texter, you’ll love Messages on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Now they all come with iMessage, a service that’s an even better kind of texting. Because it’s free for you and anyone texting over Wi-Fi using an iOS device or Mac with iMessage. And it’s unlimited.* So say as much as you want.

https://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The OP is texting from an iPhone to another iPhone. This uses iMessage and iMessage does in fact send it's text and MMS messages over WiFi.

Copied directly from Apple's website about iMessage:

If you’re a texter, you’ll love Messages on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Now they all come with iMessage, a service that’s an even better kind of texting. Because it’s free for you and anyone texting over Wi-Fi using an iOS device or Mac with iMessage. And it’s unlimited.* So say as much as you want.

https://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

Read the thread title again.
He's talking about MMS but he also mentions that it wont send over imessage either.
That could be probably cause he either didnt setup imessage or the person he's sending a message either doesnt have an iphone also or doesnt have imessage setup on his iphone.
iMessages obviously send over wifi, it just gotta be setup on his end and on the receivers end also.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
This uses iMessage and iMessage does in fact send it's text and MMS messages over WiFi.

You're confusing the terminology. iMessage will send pictures, text, video and audio, but it's still a very different thing from MMS and SMS.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The confusion seems to be whether the OP can send MMS while connected to wifi. The answer is yes. I have absolutely no problem sending MMS messages and I am always connected to wifi at home. The iPhone should automatically send it via your carrier, even when connected to wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.