Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Just curious, can't decide if it would add value or not. My right hand is getting infected from using the trackpad, so I'm considering just switching to left hand for trackpad or perhaps trying a magic mouse.

Last edited:

Nerio27

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
I got one for free because they sent me a defective air, and offered a free accessory. The mouse is pretty neat, but the ergonomics aren't that great for me personally. If you tend to hold your mouse with your hand like a claw, it'll probably feel like any other mouse, but if you rest your hand on the mouse, it might be uncomfortable. If you do get one, I think you should download Better TouchTool. It let's you create tons of custom gestures that the base software doesn't.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
An opinion on the magic mouse will be generic, regardless of whether it is for the Air, or not.

I feel that a small Logitech travel mouse is far better than the Magic Mouse. I just didn't like it. It doesn't conform to your hand, no physical scroll bar, and just generally hard to right click. I don't think you'll find any professionals using it doing real work.

For casual use, I suppose it is fine if its all you can find to use.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I got one for free because they sent me a defective air, and offered a free accessory. The mouse is pretty neat, but the ergonomics aren't that great for me personally. If you tend to hold your mouse with your hand like a claw, it'll probably feel like any other mouse, but if you rest your hand on the mouse, it might be uncomfortable. If you do get one, I think you should download Better TouchTool. It let's you create tons of custom gestures that the base software doesn't.

Wow.. they sent me a defective Air and I didn't get a free accessory. Did you ask for it or did they suggest it? I feel like I missed out now...

Haaker

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Philadelphia area
Yes. I have had a Magic Mouse since its introduction, and when I got my 13" Air two months ago, I started using the Magic Mouse with it. Works great!

I only use the mouse when I have my MBA on a table or desk. When on my lap, for obvious reasons, I just use the trackpad.

When I have heavier work to do, I'll connect my MBA to an external display and use the Magic Mouse with my Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks, everyone! I've started checking out the different LogiTech ones now as well.

I have Better Touch Tool, it's a brilliant app.

i use one all the time, I like the way I can swipe between full screen apps, using a 2 fingers on the top of the mouse.

Yes. I have had a Magic Mouse since its introduction, and when I got my 13" Air two months ago, I started using the Magic Mouse with it. Works great!

I only use the mouse when I have my MBA on a table or desk. When on my lap, for obvious reasons, I just use the trackpad.

When I have heavier work to do, I'll connect my MBA to an external display and use the Magic Mouse with my Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

For those of you who use the Magic Mouse frequently: how is the battery life? I've read in various reviews that people have to change batteries once a week, which sounds annoying. Is that your experience?

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011

:D

Sorry, English isn't my first language and I don't know what the exact term is, but it's this kind of stuff. When I was a PC user and had a mouse, I had to start using the mouse with my left hand at some point because my right hand was really painful. Now it's getting bad again, and I think the angle with which you use the trackpad on an Air isn't always great for your hand/ wrist.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I tend to use the magic mouse with my Air when I'm working with photoshop or playing a game. It's the best option for me since it works with mission control and is capable of inertial scrolling.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
:D

Sorry, English isn't my first language and I don't know what the exact term is, but it's this kind of stuff. When I was a PC user and had a mouse, I had to start using the mouse with my left hand at some point because my right hand was really painful. Now it's getting bad again, and I think the angle with which you use the trackpad on an Air isn't always great for your hand/ wrist.

Your English is actually quite good. :)

I had the same problem using the Magic Track Pad and went back to a mouse.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
I was about ready to buy one when I got my air when I decided to try a friend's mouse first. It is terrible. Whoever came up with the design has clearly never used a mouse before, because your hand isn't supposed to touch it in any way. It was horribly uncomfortable. I use a targus bluetooth or occasionally a logitech M525 for my air.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Yes, I use a Magic Mouse...I started out with just the trackpad but my wrist started to hurt...moved to a Magic Mouse and never looked back...

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I much prefer the trackpad. I just move my hand back at resting position for keyboard after I'm done using the trackpad. Dunno. I like my hands on the key for faster typing and hotkeys for the app.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Just curious, can't decide if it would add value or not. My right hand is getting infected from using the trackpad, so I'm considering just switching to left hand for trackpad or perhaps trying a magic mouse.

All I can say is, I added a magic mouse from the get-go, connected via Bluetooth, and use it all the time whenever I'm using the MBA on my desk. Personally, I find it not only easier on my arm/shoulder/back, but also faster.
In my opinion, money well spent!

Haaker

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Philadelphia area
For those of you who use the Magic Mouse frequently: how is the battery life? I've read in various reviews that people have to change batteries once a week, which sounds annoying. Is that your experience?

It lasts at least a month, probably two, with the Apple rechargeable AA batteries. Plus, there's a battery life warning popup when the battery gets low, and I can usually work for a bit longer before charging it overnight. Before I got those, I used Energizer lithium batteries and those lasted even longer.

The only annoyance with the Apple rechargeables is that the stupid charger only holds two at a time - which is fine for the mouse, but irritating with the 3-battery Apple BT keyboard, which forces me to stagger my charging (two overnight, then the next morning I have to remember to charge the other two).

The other thing is, I'm sure that folks who use their Magic Mouse all day, every day - which I don't because I have to use a PC when at work - will see much less battery life than I am seeing. But if you only have the mouse and the Apple battery charger, which comes with 6 batteries, you will always have two fresh batteries on standby b/c you'll have 4 extras. For me, having the keyboard also, I only have 1 extra.

Severum

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Wareham, Dorset
I can strongly recommend the Logitech M570 trackball mouse which is what I'm using as I have problems with my right hand. It comes with a bluetooth/usb connection (so you do lose 1 usb port) and the battery life is good (14 months and no change of battery with a fair amount of use)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

The real problem may be the position of the chair / desk / external monitor if you use one. Compare the way how you sit with others, if there is any difference.

Another thing to do is go into System Preferences and set up the track pad in the most comfortable way (Tap to click, Secondary click = tap with two fingers) so you don't need to "click" anymore.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
There is no such thing as a universally great mouse. People come in all shapes and sizes, everyone's work habits vary greatly. The Magic Mouse shouldn't work for me, but it does. I have a drawer full of mice, from Microsoft 4000 to Logitech Performance MX, all of which don't work well for me for one reason or another. Agree with the Better Touch comments -- it really helped how my Magic Mouse worked for me. My only real complaint is that it never worked well with my Mac Pro, despite fixit hacks. But I hardly use that system anymore.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I use a Magic Mouse w/ my 11" MBA - battery life for me is 4-6 months, but I tend to stick to the keyboard for most tasks.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You can get a MoBee wireless charger/battery pack for the Magic Mouse. You just set the mouse on the charger occasionally and it will recharge it. Works great for me!

http://www.mobeetechnology.com/products.html

If the 2-cell battery charger isn't working for you, there are always 4-cell chargers for sale, often bundled with some extra Sanyo Eneloop (same as Apple) long life Ni-MH batteries. These are great batteries for any application!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=eneloop+charger&rh=i:aps,k:eneloop+charger

-howard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.