Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Why would Apple jeopardize their image of high quality devices which clearly drives the sale of iPhones for a sub par, budget phone? Doesn't add up. Glad Phil put this rumor to bed quick. Thanks Phil!

its called losing over 200billion of market Cap since Time Cook to the CEO position and they must be able to compete.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Apple has no choice but to go cheap if they want to be able to compete in the future. Deal with it.

Right, explain to me then why Apple still makes more money off of the iPhone than Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc. Yes, Samsung has more market share than Apple. But Apple makes more money. The battle between profits and market share will continue until either Apple or Samsung claim the lead in both categories.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Blackberry 10 will be released very soon and that will send shivers down Apple Back.

Apparently you havent read the news about carriers are selling out of preoders of the new Blackberry 10. I suggest you start to read before posting your info.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/10/blackberry-10-demand-analysis-287451/

Laughable. Their ship has sailed!

Selling out preorders and having units in the wild will be 2 very different situations. Guess you don't understand the game they play'in!

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
This is genuinely a relief. :D

As skeptical as I was of :apple: making it's first budget product, Apple's latest decisions haven't all been their greatest.
I suppose they've always had multiple versions of the iPod that all retain great build quality and are still a bar above any other MP3 player(They exist apparently).

However seeing as an iPad 2 is similar in price to the iPad mini with similar specs and a smaller non retina screen, the iPad Mini seems a little unnecessary to me at least. When you have older versions of the iPhone already available for a lower cost, I don't particularly see the need for a cheaper albeit newer iPhone with similar hardware to previous generation devices.

But just thank Zeus it's not something plastic! :eek:

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
its called losing over 200billion of market Cap since Time Cook to the CEO position and they must be able to compete.

Also, I remember when Apple was a small company rising up again in the 90's. There was a time when Apple wasnt even worth 1 billion. I dont really care if Apple loses 200 billion or gains it. As long as they make products I like, I dont care. People that have only jumped on Apple post iPod have no true idea the past Apple has had.

fr33 loader

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
No ****.

You'd have a severe mental illness if you think Apple will go from metal to plastic.

I'd be disgusted.

iPhone 1 metal >>> iPhone 3GS plastic.

Yes Apple did it and so Apple must have severe mental illness per your suggestion.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
No ****.

You'd have a severe mental illness if you think Apple will go from metal to plastic.

I'd be disgusted.

iPhone 3G/s.

Need I expand on that?

----------

The first iMac was plastic.

Stop looking backwards.

Plastic feels cheap. When you buy a Apple branded object, it should NOT feel cheap. It also goes against everything Apple stands for.

Plastic iPhones are like knock off LV bags. No integrity. And it's not even a natural material. Non-recyclable. The idea is completely toxic. Stop dreaming people.

By that logic anything not currently used by Apple must be cheap crap.

Grow up unless you can come up with a coherent reason as to why plastic is a bad choice in product development.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Their stock price went from $702 to $517 in about 5 months.

True. But that doesn't mean Apple should panic and make a budget phone. Short term, yes, stocks may rise. But the image damage I believe would be worse causing stocks to fall in the long term.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
In other words, there will be a lower cost iPhone, but the quality will "not be sacrificed". Just an attempt to throw people off of the rumors, IMO.

I think Apple might "repackage" the lower end phone at some point. By repackage, keep the iPhone 5 internals, but ditch the aluminum case for a polycarbate one with a LOT more drop resistance and more protection for the screen.. Like a 3GS.

I went into an AT&T store to ask about an iPhone upgrade and they all but ran me out of the store because iPhones are "so fragile" (or people in my town are really dumb) They REALLY were hard selling the Android phones, any Android phone over iphones.

About the only valid argument they had was that the iPhone glass fronts and backs get a LOT of returns for minor drops that might not ruin other phones. If the concen is that big at AT&T, I could see Apple caving to pressure for one styled like the 3GS that could handle a little more "living".

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
What kind of pointless, vague spin is THAT?

"Quality" is so subjective. What person doesn't believe they are making "quality"? Your anus thinks it turns out quality product! All this means is that Phil is shilling, again. He's plugging the rumor so it doesn't seem like Apple will just shuffle out some garbage and put a logo on it.

What will probably happen is that Apple will release an older design with the cheapest parts possible while maintaining function and some durability. Could be plastic back, could be sans cameras, could be some 2008 chip, or whatever. It won't be "quality" in terms of 2013 quality.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Thanks Phil

That rumour was just so annoying :mad:

Come on ppl
:apple: has been fighting knockoffs since apple II was created and they still here.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.