Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
What you configured is not a Fusion Drive.

Yes, it is. I'm not going into specifics, but read on it. It's mostly a matter of configuring the drives as one mount in OS X 10.8.2+ (only OS X 10.8 supports it). It's not a "hybrid" drive as I assume you are thinking. There are tons of guides on how to easily use terminal to achieve a "FusionDrive".

Here is a quick link to a thread on MacRumors. I don't have the time to post much more at the moment.

Turn late 2011 iMac with SSD+HD into Fusion Drive

----------

I just sent my new 27" iMac back today, I got it on December 17th. I'm a videographer and I made the mistake of getting it configured with a 3TB Fusion Drive. If you're going to do anything that uses large files, the SSD part of the Fusion Drive fills up and doesn't transfer the rest of the data to the HDD part as it should. I got an error message saying the drive is full (for an 80GB video file), and the apps (Compressor and FCP X) just freeze. I've also had data corruption with the Fusion Drive because data is swapped between the SSD and HDD drives causing data integrity problems.

I just ordered another iMac, this time with a conventional 3TB HDD, but delivery date is approximately February 11th. :mad:

Why not specify the location for Final Cut, etc. on an external drive? I can understand how this would be an issue, as "FusionDrive" is simply an OS X 10.8.2 algorithm in deciding where files are placed based on "learning" what files are used more often and placing those files on the SSD as high priority. I wonder how that is resolved? Wouldn't the HDD portion of the fused drive be used as caching space before the SSD? Seems bad programming there.

Last edited:

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
just "unboxed" mine

and trying out the new trackpad and USB superdrive

Couldn't be happier. It's a great machine

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
An iMac is a complicated piece of kit, especially the new ones. To call issues such as these "amateur," whatever you mean by that, is ludicrous.

I mean, this is 2013, you'd think ignorant people would have stopped disrupting forum discussions by now... :rolleyes:

How so? It's not like they are each handmade individually? Care to back up your dumb remark?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
An iMac is a complicated piece of kit, especially the new ones. To call issues such as these "amateur," whatever you mean by that, is ludicrous.

I mean, this is 2013, you'd think ignorant people would have stopped disrupting forum discussions by now... :rolleyes:

What you configured is not a Fusion Drive.

You claim to know so much while rudely assuming everyone else is ignorant when you may be incorrect. Perhaps giving people the benefit of the doubt might do you some good. Not meant to be harsh :)

Last edited:

CaptainPrice01

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Ordered mine on day 1 too. Received it in Dec., far earlier than estimates. It is very sweet and well worth the wait.

Got mine before Christmas as well, the display is beautiful. The colours are what I love about the screen. I compared my old 24" early 2009 model next to the new 27" model, the old model looks yellowish in comparison and colours aren't as vibrant. This new Mac is awesome.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
Yes, it is. I'm not going into specifics, but read on it. It's mostly a matter of configuring the drives as one mount in OS X 10.8.2+ (only OS X 10.8 supports it). It's not a "hybrid" drive as I assume you are thinking. There are tons of guides on how to easily use terminal to achieve a "FusionDrive".

Hmmm, seems like I may have been mistaken, sorry!!!:eek:

----------

You claim to know so much while rudely assuming everyone else is ignorant when you may be incorrect. Perhaps giving people the benefit of the doubt might do you some good. Not meant to be harsh :)

Fair enough--I deserved at least part of that. I didn't assume "everyone else" is ignorant, but I still assert that the member in question was making an erroneous statement about "amateur" manufacturing techniques. I also made a rash and uninformed statement, about fusion drives in my case, so I guess we're even. :eek:

craigmcclellan

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I ordered my 27 inch on day one (actually a day before it) from a 3rd party retailer my friend works for so I could get a discount. I haven't heard a peep about my computer since Nov 29. Hopefully this means it will ship soon.

Edit: Not 10 minutes after I posted this, I got a text saying it finally shipped from China. Praise The Lord!

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Hmmm, seems like I may have been mistaken, sorry!!!:eek:

Fair enough--I deserved at least part of that. I didn't assume "everyone else" is ignorant, but I still assert that the member in question was making an erroneous statement about "amateur" manufacturing techniques. I also made a rash and uninformed statement, about fusion drives in my case, so I guess we're even. :eek:

It's all good, we're all here to learn and to help others. I just take issue when some people, not meaning you, rudely slam others when we all make mistakes (I certainly have). We all started somewhere, I try to keep that in mind while commenting in order to help, not hurt, others. :)

Divided

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

Here is a quick link to a thread on MacRumors. I don't have the time to post much more at the moment.

Turn late 2011 iMac with SSD+HD into Fusion Drive

----------

Why not specify the location for Final Cut, etc. on an external drive? I can understand how this would be an issue, as "FusionDrive" is simply an OS X 10.8.2 algorithm in deciding where files are placed based on "learning" what files are used more often and placing those files on the SSD as high priority. I wonder how that is resolved? Wouldn't the HDD portion of the fused drive be used as caching space before the SSD? Seems bad programming there.

I was wondering the same thing. I do video work as well, but most of my source footage is located on external drives. I was hoping my new iMac (which hasnt shipped yet) with Thurderbolt and/or USB 3 drives connected will make that work flow even faster.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I was wondering the same thing. I do video work as well, but most of my source footage is located on external drives. I was hoping my new iMac (which hasnt shipped yet) with Thurderbolt and/or USB 3 drives connected will make that work flow even faster.

It's a very good question I'll have to research when I have time. I've spent a lot of time understanding OS X 10.8.2's implementation of "FusionDrive" systems. I know it doesn't use Intel's SRT technology and works mainly through Core Storage and frameworks established in 10.8.2. I'm surprised such a simple situation isn't resolved by using the larger HDD as caching, especially in pro-app's that may need large space for heavy lifting. I have a Mac Pro 12-Core myself, with a 256GB SSD and four internal SATA HDD's so I don't use a "FusionDrive" setup to test with FCP7 or FCPX 10.0.7., but I'm curious to give it a run on a "fused" LVM.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
I just sent my new 27" iMac back today, I got it on December 17th. I'm a videographer and I made the mistake of getting it configured with a 3TB Fusion Drive. If you're going to do anything that uses large files, the SSD part of the Fusion Drive fills up and doesn't transfer the rest of the data to the HDD part as it should. I got an error message saying the drive is full (for an 80GB video file), and the apps (Compressor and FCP X) just freeze. I've also had data corruption with the Fusion Drive because data is swapped between the SSD and HDD drives causing data integrity problems.

I just ordered another iMac, this time with a conventional 3TB HDD, but delivery date is approximately February 11th. :mad:

Very interesting...
I'm going to assume that you also have external drives for Media, but that some Media is being written to the Fusion Drive??

I was going to order a 27" using my Federal Tax refund, and was going to order with the Fusion Drive (3TB)... I am also a Video Editor... using both FCP and Avid MC.

I'm sure a Fusion Drive would be fine for MOST applications... however, in your opinion, do you think that an iMac with a Fusion Drive would be a mistake to order, with the troubles you've had with Video files?
Thanks

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Very interesting...
I'm going to assume that you also have external drives for Media, but that some Media is being written to the Fusion Drive??

I was going to order a 27" using my Federal Tax refund, and was going to order with the Fusion Drive (3TB)... I am also a Video Editor... using both FCP and Avid MC.

I'm sure a Fusion Drive would be fine for MOST applications... however, in your opinion, do you think that an iMac with a Fusion Drive would be a mistake to order, with the troubles you've had with Video files?
Thanks

I wouldn't believe it to be a mistake, as I and you suggested, I would try specifying an external drive as my main HDD in FCP7/X. It seems that OS X 10.8.2 is not caching large volumes on the HDD portion and instead using the SSD (in this specific situation), which it shouldn't. What is interesting is that it should use the HDD first for large files, etc, then once work is completed begin read/writes to both based on priority/space required for files (or really blocks).

Here's a good read through on ArsTechnica, read my posts and the article as it's a good walkthrough on "FusionDrive":

More on Fusion Drive: How it works, and how to roll your own

Last edited:

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Or they could have made it only slightly thicker and avoided this problem. The race to make the thinnest things possible is ignorant especially in the desktop market.

The screen lamination is a feature, making the viewer (you) feel a little bit closer to your content. It doesn't have anything to do with the thickness of the iMac

BrooklynAl

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
27 inch iMac

I own a 3.4 GHZ 27 inch iMac with a 1 TB fusion drive and I have to say it is flawless; it's fast, beautiful, and simply amazing. I was hesitant about the new design with heat dissipation being a potential concern but this machine runs stone cold. My mid 2010 27 inch iMac generates more heat. I have not had any problems with the fusion drive at all. I ordered the iMac on the 1st of December and received it on the 24th of December and I have been using it constantly without any issues. I highly recommend this machine! :)

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
This just seems like a novice oversight - to not get your supply chain in order before launch but then again i'm not managing a tech giant that creates millions in revenue so take my inference very lightly....

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Seems just the opposite, and yes, that is bad programming. The end results are the problems I experienced.

Maybe use the machine normally for a few days before attempting any heavy lifting? Just like you would a brand new car, beak in the engine a bit (although most modern cars do not require this any more, but I still do it).

Ed A.

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
Southern Connecticut, USA
Thanks

It's my experience that for video editing, a Fusion Drive will most definitely cause the problems I mentioned. I know the conventional 3TB HDD doesn't have those problems because I tested a Carbon Copy Cloner backup I made on a conventional 3TB Lacie Thunderbolt HDD, and it worked perfectly.

See also:

http://www.zdnet.com/mac-fusion-drive-pro-users-beware-7000006661/

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I ordered my 27" (i7, 1Tb Fusion, 680Mx) on Dec 1st through an Apple Reseller and almost 6 weeks later I'm still waiting! I was give an ETA of 3-4 weeks at the time I placed my order! :mad:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.