Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yewaiyin

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Does anyone know why my bootcamp is not working and how to get passed it?

Mine is MacBook2,1 (late 2006), I got 10.8.2 installed successfully followed this guide, but when I tried the bootcamp assistant, it asks me to update the Boot Rom Firmware.

But according to APPLE's support website, I already have the lastest version, and it was running fine under 10.7.2

Please help.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
NoSleep

I used sleepenabler.kext from osx86 and it causes kernal panics on boot.

Macbook 4,1 2.4gig 10.8.2

So anytime you shut the notebook or use sleep the os acts all weird and usually I have to restart it after I unplug and remove battery

----------

No, X3100 is not. My sleep issues make the OS unusable. If I can't figure it out I will go back to 10.7. I am amazed at the lack of progress on this. I know everyone talks about yea its free but seems like no one else is trying to figure it out.

The brightness control is also not supported. Anytime the computer shuts or goes to sleep you have to unplug it and cold reset and restart it. You loose any work you are doing, etc. It is far away from being 100% in my eyes.

Try NoSleep, available at: http://code.google.com/p/macosx-nosleep-extension/. Maybe it will help.

jdmueller84

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
Try NoSleep, available at: http://code.google.com/p/macosx-nosleep-extension/. Maybe it will help.

Thanks, that is a great idea.

However, I went ahead and loaded 10.7 back on the Macbook. The entire point of having a notebook is portability in my opinion. My battery life in 10.8 is horrible due to these display/sleep issues. The Nosleep is a good idea but it still doesn't resolve my issue which is the entire power management system for the laptop. It needs to be able to sleep when the lid is closed. If this isn't happening then I can't even unplug this thing and put it in my car and still work when I get where I am going. For that reason alone I decided to go back to 10.7. Combine that with the brightness (also affects battery life) and there really isn't enough incentive to want 10.8 that bad.

thebilgerat

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
Any idea if the display issues on macbooks with X3100s will be fixed? It seems odd that the same chipset works flawlessly in the mac minis but not the macbooks.

cowasaki

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
UK
Guys, I've come across a problem, when you get to Step 7 on the guide, I dont have "installablemachines.plist" and there seems to be a lot more on my pen drive when I restored the "base system.dmg". I have done this guide before but never run across the problem, and now the installer wont boot when i select it at startup. Ive repeated several times, and that hasnt done anything, going to to try again. I would post pictures, but TIFF not working. Ugh.

I have the same issue. If you read the whole of the original posts it then goes on to say how to upgrade to 10.8.2 which leads me to the conclusion that the entire process is based on getting 10.8.0/1 to run originally.... The latest version that you download in the AppStore is 10.8.2 so the installation is different.

We need a revised set of instructions to make 10.8.2 work or some way of getting hold of 10.8.0 but Apple have no reason to supply this anymore.

Without the new instructions the thread cannot be used by people trying this for the first time.

I've had the same issues with other instructions for getting ML to work.

gerd2016

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Possible fix for leep issues on macs with x3100

I found this on google code:

http://code.google.com/p/ipcosx86ppf/issues/detail?id=19

Adding a fix that will correct some sleep issues on GMA X3100
The way I got it to work was to do the following:

1. Copy sleepdisplay to /bin/
# cp sleepdisplay /bin/
2. Set permissions of sleepdisplay
# chown 0:0 /bin/sleepdisplay
# chmod 755 /bin/sleepdisplay
3. Create /etc/rc.local and have it call /bin/sleepdisplay
# cat /etc/rc.local
/bin/sleepdisplay
4. Set permissions of /etc/rc.local
# chown 0:0 /etc/rc.local
# chmod 755 /etc/rc.local
5. Reboot
# reboot

I would like to know if this could possibly help fix some sleep issues on macs with Intel GMA x3100. Also, can't wait for the app, and where can we find it?

Last edited:

Srico

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
I used sleepenabler.kext from osx86 and it causes kernal panics on boot.

Macbook 4,1 2.4gig 10.8.2

So anytime you shut the notebook or use sleep the os acts all weird and usually I have to restart it after I unplug and remove battery

----------

No, X3100 is not. My sleep issues make the OS unusable. If I can't figure it out I will go back to 10.7. I am amazed at the lack of progress on this. I know everyone talks about yea its free but seems like no one else is trying to figure it out.

The brightness control is also not supported. Anytime the computer shuts or goes to sleep you have to unplug it and cold reset and restart it. You loose any work you are doing, etc. It is far away from being 100% in my eyes.

I would believe it to be a wise choice to go back to 10.7 until hackerwayne can work out the kext problems. We are working as fast as we can to solve this. Patience is virtue, how about you use some, with all due respect, of course. Hackerwayne has contributed a lot and we are all attempting to aid one another. Once the brightness/sleep issue is fixed, functionality on the X3100 will increase drastically. Furthermore, if you have any complaints or questions, talk to Wayne on twitter, he says so in his guide if you actually bother to read it, "follow me on Twitter @Wayne_819. Im not always online here on MacRumors but i am 24/7 on Twitter, tweet me to get instant replies."
Cordially,
Srico

----------

Same issue here. But seems like the installer downloaded from app store is 10.8.2 already. We need to update the guide or download the older installer?

I dont actually know, getting the older installer would be a pain though, lets hope the guide gets updated...
Regards,
Srico

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I continue to be amused that so many are, in my opinion of course, completely wasting their time with this. Why not just install and use the still supported 10.7.5 where the user experience is so much better?

None here are going to see a working, fully featured 64-bit kext for the GMA X3100 or AMD/ATI x1600 unless Apple release them; it is not a realistic expectation in the slightest as it takes a large team of people to write, test and maintain a graphics driver and it is legacy, dead hardware.

I am surprised many of those posting here, prima facie, really expect to see one developed magically somehow, seemingly out of thin air, by well meaning hobbyists in the community. It is simply not going to happen as it is completely infeasible.

It is definitely time to replace your hardware if you want to run 10.8 or later...

Srico

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
I continue to be amused that so many are, in my opinion of course, completely wasting their time with this. Why not just install and use the still supported 10.7.5 where the user experience is so much better?

None here are going to see a working, fully featured 64-bit kext for the GMA X3100 or AMD/ATI x1600 unless Apple release them; it is not a realistic expectation in the slightest as it takes a large team of people to write, test and maintain a graphics driver and it is legacy, dead hardware.

I am surprised many of those posting here, prima facie, really expect to see one developed magically somehow, seemingly out of thin air, by well meaning hobbyists in the community. It is simply not going to happen as it is completely infeasible.

It is definitely time to replace your hardware if you want to run 10.8 or later...
As is Apple's ever present idea and will for the consumer to continually purchase the "new" and "better" products. Most of us realize that a 64-bit kext for the X3100 or X1600 is highly improbable, but the possibility of having Mountain Lion on an unsupported system is still quite attractive, maybe not for every day functionality, but for a hobby of sorts. Furthermore, this is a 16 year old doing something a person that is trained, and has a salary, could do at Apple. Lion, 10.7.5, is still the feasible choice, but having Mountain Lion develop on an unsupported system is still quite the treat, if I do say so myself.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
As is Apple's ever present idea and will for the consumer to continually purchase the "new" and "better" products. Most of us realize that a 64-bit kext for the X3100 or X1600 is highly improbable, but the possibility of having Mountain Lion on an unsupported system is still quite attractive, maybe not for every day functionality, but for a hobby of sorts. Furthermore, this is a 16 year old doing something a person that is trained, and has a salary, could do at Apple. Lion, 10.7.5, is still the feasible choice, but having Mountain Lion develop on an unsupported system is still quite the treat, if I do say so myself.

You've missed the point by a mile, there is no possibility so it being attractive is irrelevant - it's not going to happen. And as far as I can see, nobody is doing -any- development work in code on this. It's just glorified repackaging and tinkering.

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
I just bought Mountain Lion today and unfortunately, the version that downloaded was 10.8.2. The file structure looks different than the ones in your screenshots. I followed all the instructions anyways, but when I try to boot from the flash drive, I get a circle with a line through it and then my computer restarts.

By the way... does it have to be an 8GB drive? I'm using a 16GB thumb drive.

Srico

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
I just bought Mountain Lion today and unfortunately, the version that downloaded was 10.8.2. The file structure looks different than the ones in your screenshots. I followed all the instructions anyways, but when I try to boot from the flash drive, I get a circle with a line through it and then my computer restarts.

It can be any size over 8GB, and yes the file structure is different, giving us the "ø" sign. Waiting for Hackerwayne to update this.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

It should work, my current install is based on a 10.8.2 download.

Srico

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
It should work, my current install is based on a 10.8.2 download.

Ive tried multiple times with a 10.8.2 and always get the prohibited sign, do you do anything that differs from the guide?

Thanks,
Srico

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Ive tried multiple times with a 10.8.2 and always get the prohibited sign, do you do anything that differs from the guide?

Thanks,
Srico

I figured it out. You can't just delete the 4 files and add the hacked ones. You have to REPLACE the files by dragging in the new ones and clicking replace when the Finder sees the duplicate files being copied. You want to overwrite the files that are on the flash drive.

I hope that makes sense. If you just trash them, they'll sit in the trash and the flash drive will still try to boot from the files in the trash. It's weird, but that's what the problem is.

10.8.2 is running on my Mac Pro 1,1 as we speak. It worked rather well after getting over that hurdle.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I figured it out. You can't just delete the 4 files and add the hacked ones. You have to REPLACE the files by dragging in the new ones and clicking replace when the Finder sees the duplicate files being copied. You want to overwrite the files that are on the flash drive.

I hope that makes sense. If you just trash them, they'll sit in the trash and the flash drive will still try to boot from the files in the trash. It's weird, but that's what the problem is.

10.8.2 is running on my Mac Pro 1,1 as we speak. It worked rather well after getting over that hurdle.

Brilliant, a 1,1.
Can you check a couple of things for me please?
1. Can you play a DVD from a TS folder or virtual disk, (NOT a real disk) using DVDPlayer.app?
2. Is your NVRAM completely functional you can check by running the following command in terminal
nvram -p
3. Is FIPS running, you can check by running the following command in terminal which will require your admin password before it places a bootlog on your desktop),
dmesg > ~/Desktop/BootLog.txt

Thanks.

Last edited:

dosones1

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
10.6.8 upgrade

Do you have to upgrade to os x lion before you do the upgrade to Mountain Lion? Or could I just keep my MacBook to Snow Leopard? Also, could I use an SD card instead of a Thumb Drive? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Do you have to upgrade to os x lion before you do the upgrade to Mountain Lion? Or could I just keep my MacBook to Snow Leopard? Also, could I use an SD card instead of a Thumb Drive? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

I believe you can go straight to ML. Don't know about the SD card thing though.

Srico

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012

Yes, you can go from snow leopard, and a microSD with USB adapter works just fine
:)

dosones1

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Alright, and another question. I bought Mountain Lion on my iMac as well (my iMac is supported with ML) but how do i get the installer.app or whatever i downloaded from my iMac to my macbook? Or do I have to do that?

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
I have a suggestion for a couple of things..

First, there have been 32-bit kernels that have been compiled for Mountain Lion out there in the hackintosh world, would using them allow us to again use our 32-bit drivers?

As for the GMA 950, Snow Leopard had 64-bit Kexts for it, would they work?

Srico

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Alright, and another question. I bought Mountain Lion on my iMac as well (my iMac is supported with ML) but how do i get the installer.app or whatever i downloaded from my iMac to my macbook? Or do I have to do that?

You would then put the install mountain lion app onto a flashdrive, then put it on the desired computer to install, drag to your desktop, follow the guide, and instead of deleting files, Replace them
:) There you go.

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
You guys... I ran into quite a snag and I'm not sure what happened. Here's my story:

I cloned my existing Lion install onto another hard drive. Rebooted from it just to make sure it was working.

Then I renamed it to "Mountain Lion" and left my original Lion drive as it was. I didn't want it to get screwed up if anything happened.

I then booted from the custom Mountain Lion flash drive I made (I already tested it before earlier and it does work).

Then I upgraded the new drive labeled "Mountain Lion" from before.

Then I restarted the computer holding down the option key because I knew that I had to boot into Lion to fix a few files before using Mountain Lion. No such luck.

I clicked on my Lion drive and continued to boot the computer, but it just goes from Apple logo to instant shut down. I hear a few clicks and then the computer shuts off.

I then tried removing all of my drives and restarting... didn't work.

I was able to boot into the recovery drive and repair permissions and check my drive for bad sectors, but it still wouldn't boot after.

Now I'm restoring from Time Machine... ugh. Why would my Lion drive get messed up when it's not even the drive I've messed with? It was working perfectly fine, then I cloned it and then I installed Mountain Lion on a completely separate drive and suddenly my original drive won't boot.

Does anyone have any ideas on what went wrong?

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Okay, I'm back guys.

I successfully restored my Lion drive via Time Machine and was able to finish the Mountain Lion install.

Everything seems to be working perfectly. Playing music and videos works the same as always and I don't seem to be experiencing any graphical bugs.

I wanted this update for iMessage, Reminders, Notes and the Notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.