Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
I'm growing tired of the small screen of my iPhone 5. I am intending on keeping it and getting a note 1 or 2 to try out something new. I was just wondering if others who left iOS could share some pros and cons specific to the note.

I will miss the remote app for my Apple TV, and all the software I have purchased, but I really feel that I will be over all more productive with a bigger screen.

Any thoughts before I take the plunge?

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I'm growing tired of the small screen of my iPhone 5. I am intending on keeping it and getting a note 1 or 2 to try out something new. I was just wondering if others who left iOS could share some pros and cons specific to the note.

I will miss the remote app for my Apple TV, and all the software I have purchased, but I really feel that I will be over all more productive with a bigger screen.

Any thoughts before I take the plunge?

It sounds like you've put some serious thoughts into it and know a lot of the potential downsides to switching.

The only thing I'll add is that you may want to get your hands on a friend's Note if you can. I loved the form-factor of my friend's Note until I tried putting it the pockets of my relatively loose fitting jeans and did not find it comfortable at all. I also have some trousers with smaller pockets and suspected the Note's size might be an issue.

This is obviously a very personal "fit" thing, and also really depends on your fashion sense, but it is worth mentioning because the Note seems a lot bigger once you have it in your pocket.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Not really an issue as my phone is strapped to my belt at work all day, and lives next to a Bluetooth home phone system at night. I also tend to weAr a baggy cut in my free time so a note should be ok.

It's too bad that the sims are different between the 5 and note. My ideal would be to run the 5 for the weekend and note during the week, but calling AT&T every time is a non starter.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
Yes. My biggest regret from using the Note is how many people ask, " Wow thats a big phone! Are you compensating for something?"

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Before getting my 5 I considered getting the Note 1 (before 2 was announced) but a friend got one and I tried it out for a little bit. I felt the screen wasn't that good as the saturation was off and the screen looked too dim. The option went out the window once I put it in my pocket, it fit, but if I sat down it wasn't good. Also, the Note didn't even fit in the cup holder in my car, which I like to keep my phone handy in that locaiton while driving.

To the OP, you mentioned missing the Remote App from apple...I was reading about some Android apps the other day for my Nexus 7 and found that Android has an app that works the same. Look into it, you may find yourself able to use the same functionality if you switch to the Note!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Is the screen that big of a turnoff? why not just use the ipad if you have one that is for more internet based things...

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
If it weren't for the iPhone's integration with my other Apple stuff, no doubt, I would've switched over to the GN2 by now. I prefer iOS over Android, hands down, but the screen size is what makes my mouth water. I have a feeling we'll never see something like that from Apple.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
The app for Android is simply called: Remote for iTunes ($4.99 google play store)

ppfd

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
West Virginia USA
Switched from an iphone 4 to a Galaxy Note 2 and couldn't be happier.

Yeah I have a trunk full of apps but, I still have an ipad and plan on keeping it. The screen size was my major decision. Big? yes, yes it is. I got "used" to the size in a few days, carry it in a Seidio case on my hip daily and its hardly noticeable. Rooted it about a week after I bought it.

Compared it with a 5, personally I found nothing ground breaking with the 5. Yes a little quicker, and a little taller, not much more screen size than my 4. I'm not brand loyal. If the next generation iPhone has what I need, I'll buy it. The Note 2 has what I need now. I use my phone daily at work, so the option to add more storage, the larger screen are something I use.

The S pen is a nice feature, granted I can "type" my notes quicker than writing them so I can't say how much I'll use it.

Do your research, buy what you want and you need.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Hmm having the remote app is one more notch on the notes favor.

I'm in contract so it will be pricey but owning a note will make my iPad mini redundant so i will sell it.

As to why I don't use an iPad. I find carrying my iPad on my person to be too cumbersome. I don't have a desk job, and the mini is juuuuust a hair too big.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Hmm having the remote app is one more notch on the notes favor.

I'm in contract so it will be pricey but owning a note will make my iPad mini redundant so i will sell it.

As to why I don't use an iPad. I find carrying my iPad on my person to be too cumbersome. I don't have a desk job, and the mini is juuuuust a hair too big.

Are you planning on selling the iP5 on ebay/craigslist? You can put that money towards buying the Note 2 outright instead of subsidized.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
just like anything, newness wears off after a month or so. After a month or two of owning the Note, you will become tired again.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
just like anything, newness wears off after a month or so. After a month or two of owning the Note, you will become bored again.

At least with the Note he can get a new launcher and make it feel fresh again in a month :p.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Don't let the naysayers stop you from switching.
The Note I or II is not really that big in your pocket.
Go to the store and try putting it in your pocket if you can.

I switched and so have many others with no regrets.
Try it and be happy.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I am going to pick up an unlocked note 2 next week. Really looking forward to it. I figure I can sell my 4S and my nexus 7 and just about cover the cost. The note 2 should cover what those two devices were doing for me. Then the iPad can manage all my iOS apps and home entertainment stuff and school work.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Nothing is better than owning the device and making up your mind that way. Try the Note. If you're unhappy, you can flip it, and go back to iOS. That's what I did. Everyone should try both platforms.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
just like anything, newness wears off after a month or so. After a month or two of owning the Note, you will become tired again.

Two months in with my Note II and enjoying it like it was day 1. There's so much you can do with this phone.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California

iPad Mini and iPhone 5 Equals Galaxy Note 2?!

Just picked this up today to see if I could consolidate my iPad Mini and iPhone to the Note 2. I do miss a few apps that work better on iOS such as the Fitbit One app and the Arclight movie app (still no Android version). I also like being able to take photos using the volume button on the iPhone. Other than that I am loving the big screen and I didn't miss iMessage as much as I thought I would.

I rooted the phone and flashed it with the International ROM so there's no AT&T bloatware and I still get to have LTE speeds!

Totally recommend it!

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Just throwing in my two cents... Converted from ip4 to a note 2. Love everything about it except not being able to use the entire screen with one hand. I am almost there but just not quite. When the s4 comes out I will be looking into getting one if the specs are right and trade in my note2

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

Not here. No regrets. Its amazing. Wheres the newness of ios? Its still the same ui. I know I had an iphone for 5 years until I cancelled my iphone 5. The note 2 is great. Id say all the negative comments here are from ppl that dont have it. Everyone I know that has one used to be ios users and not one has looked back.

----------

I wear jeans and I dont notice it in the pocket at all. Go try for yourself its not as big as every1 makes it out to be.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Having used the Note 2 for sometime for a test drive, I am disappointed with the following:

-Fingerprint magnet! And the plastic all over the body scratches too easily.
-S-Pen is very fiddly and feels cheap.
-Camera isn't in the top tier of quality for photos compared to Nokia and Apple.
-The biggest thing: The PPI is too low. The quality is VERY apparent compared to other 300+ PPI phones.
-Still has that Android lag once in a blue moon especially when I dig into the settings app.
-The home button isn't as satisfying to click as say...the iPhone.
-16GB internal storage is ridiculously low for the price.
-The multi-window trick is very overrated. Only works with a handful of apps. (Sucks that I can't Skype on one half of the phone and browse the internet on the other)

I think the size is fine. The flip cover accessories are good (wish Apple had it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.