Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
A girl I was dating was raped and beaten while I was away on vacation. To this day I am truly impressed with the strength and dignity she possessed afterwards.

A blood relative was brutally murdered and disfigured about four years ago.

A blood relative is hiding out abroad because he beat his wife and sexually assaulted some teenagers.

My dad's half-sister uexpectedly dying at 44.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
My cousin dying at age 26

Unfortunately I had been estranged from her for years, and whats worse is that I was overseas when she died and couldn't get back for the funeral...

DAlabaugh

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
On New Years Day this girl I was seeing ended our relationship, not even an hour later I seen on Facebook that a good friend of mine had died. He commuted suicide that morning. The only person I felt like talking to broke my heart, but I tried anyway. She wouldn't answer her phone.
I'm still dealing with it. It's how I found this page. Just thought I'd vent.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
you all have dealt with way worse things then me.

but living with a stutter sucks like no tomorrow. a 24/7 hr cock block, even worse its only fluent when it doesn't matter, not when you actually need it to be.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
First wife dying of cancer, and then having to tell the children that their mother was not coming home from the hospital.
One of my grandchildren being still born, just looking at that little coffin.

Time does heal, but you do have to give it some time.:(

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
finding out out of the blue my 4 yrs old had stage IV highly metastatic lymphoma and a few days to live, if the super-aggressive therapy implemented within a few hrs from diagnosis didn't work.

it worked.

what helped was the doctors that kept him alive and eventually cured him, the drugs they used and the people who had developed them.
Just a few years earlier he would have been gone.

I had good moments and bad moments in my life (mostly good), but i honestly do not expect to experience anything worse then the instant i saw those scan images. especially because i knew exactly what they meant, because of my job.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
DIVORCE arrrrrghhhhh

I'm three years into a divorce and the only thing that has kept me sane is the girl I met 3 months after I moved out!

Love is like that :)

So was divorce the worse or the best thing under the circumstances?? Life is like that. ;) Someone mentioned parents divorced. Mine divorced when I was in college. I think it would be much more traumatic if I had been in grade school. I think the worst besides losing everything, say in a flood, would be loosing immediate family members such as parents, siblings, or children.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Wow, some of the members here have been through some real painful circumstances. Props to all of you coming out the other end. I have nothing to really add to this that would be even close to the loss and trauma some have faced.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sorry to hear about all the car some of you have been through.
Toughest thing I had to deal with was when my wife and I were falsely accused of harming our daughter. You wouldn't believe how flimsy the accusations were. She was separated from us for a while and has never really recovered (especially because she has special needs). Our Church decided not to stand by us and support us. Because of this I lost my faith (after our Church elder suggested I should leave my wife). She has never recovered either. Everything else bad that happened to me (like my parents divorce) pails into insignificance.
Alcohol helps me through the worst times. Thats about it.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Finding a good friend bludgeoned to death in her apartment (next to mine) and then being accused of the crime. It was 44 years ago this month (so it's been on my mind, as it is every January). No one was ever formally charged.

Then there was almost being killed by a tsunami (at 16), losing the family business, and working at finding dead people afterwards. I will say that the tsunami-related events caused me to grow up quickly.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
After spending 10 years as a volunteer firefighter, seeing the end result of tragedy almost on a daily basis. The only way to deal with it was to block it out at the scene and then dealing with it by talking to our support staff after retuning to the firehall.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Depression and co dependency, many heart broken, loads of tears, lost of time wasted and loads of money and opportunities lost.

What helped me:

People from no were with good advice, God, praying, being humble to listen and meditate about my past and the things that made me this way. Good books, again, good people each one with their knowledge.

Good books to read:
The four agreements
A new earth by Eckar Tolle.
Then, every single piece of audio by Anthony Robbins, sometimes cheese but many good advices too.
And Rich dad, poor dad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.