Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
So, I recently got my screen replaced because of IR and just got it back today. For some reason, the darn thing won't sleep when I close the lid. The screen doesn't even shut off. This obviously isn't normal. I googled around and found basically nothing that would help. Many recommend an SMC reset, and PRAM reset, but neither of those helped.

I'm reinstalling OSX at the moment to see if there was something messed up in the software.

Anyone else had this crazy issue?

I feel like I should just return this darn thing at this point.

Thanks for the help.

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010

I'm fairly certain I have read all of those, but none of them helped me.

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Well, after a reinstall of OSX. That still didn't fix it. I'm just going to ask for a return unless someone comes up with something...

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2012
Have you tried rocking it gently and singing to it softly? :D

Seriously though, if it's been back for a replacement screen, I'd be taking it straight back, and asking them to sort it out, as they obviously buggered something up. There must be a switch or sensor of some kind that tells it when the lid's been closed. Maybe that got moved, or damaged, or they forgot to fit one.

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Have you tried rocking it gently and singing to it softly? :D

Seriously though, if it's been back for a replacement screen, I'd be taking it straight back, and asking them to sort it out, as they obviously buggered something up. There must be a switch or sensor of some kind that tells it when the lid's been closed. Maybe that got moved, or damaged, or they forgot to fit one.

Yes, yes I did try that.

Yeah, I came to that conclusion as well. My wallet has a magnet on it and when placed over the speaker area (where the lid sensor is) it put the machine to sleep instantly, and when removed woke the machine back up. So it must have been a hardware issue. So I decided to return the machine and wait until the next revision. I can't hardly make myself keep a brand new machine that has been repaired twice in a month..

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I find that when I send mine to sleep, if I have external monitors connected it goes into clamshell mode (clam closed!). I now disconnect displays, then close.

The trouble for me is that it's like the refrigerator, when you close the door, do the lights go out or stay on? Who can know?

Now that there are no rotational drives in my machine I worry less, but I have fear it will wake up in my bag and burn up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.