Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Im currently reading a guide book on iPhoto, and it states that when in Photos view you can display the Event titles, and collapse them if needed. Heres a screenshot of the book...

iPhotobook.png

But I can seem to do this. When I look in Photos I cant get the Event titles to display. Heres a screen shot from my iPhoto library viewed in Photos...

iPhotoscreen.png

How do I get the Event title bar to display to seperate the Events, as per the top image? Ive done as the book suggests. Im running the latest iPhoto on Mountain Lion.

Thanks

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Go to the View Menu and turn on Event Titles, the click on the disclosure triangle by each event to collapse it, if it is open. See screenshot. From the colours in the book picture, it looks like the book is using an earlier version of iPhoto, as the current one has a monochrome UI.

Event_Titles.png

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Thanks James.

I do have Event Titles ticked, but I still cant get the collapsable titles to show..

iPhotoEvents.png

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
Thanks James.

I do have Event Titles ticked, but I still cant get the collapsable titles to show..

That's strange. Ticking Events Titles works absolutely fine for me...

Have you actually created multiple events yet in iPhoto?

This is really the only reason I could think for them not displaying. Else, it may have glitched.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Big Stevie - I am sure you have tried this but try toggling them off and on, because I can see from your screenshot that although you have them turned on , you should see a dark get event title at the top of each event, which you can collapse. Try and scroll up and down in the view window, it may be that you can't see the bar due to the amount of photo's you have in the event.

This is my daughter's iPhoto Library

First is with Event Titles turned off

iPhoto no Event Titles.png

Then turned on

iPhoto-3.png

Last edited:

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
Big Stevie - I am sure you have tried this but try toggling them off and on, because I can see from your screenshot that although you have them turned on , you should see a dark get event title at the top of each event, which you can collapse. Try and scroll up and down in the view window, it may be that you can't see the bar due to the amount on photo's you have in the event.

The bar overlaps the photos if there are too many photos in an event.
Nzf9b.png

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
That's strange. Ticking Events Titles works absolutely fine for me...

Have you actually created multiple events yet in iPhoto?

This is really the only reason I could think for them not displaying. Else, it may have glitched.

Thanks, yes I have multiple Events as you can see here...

iPhotoEventview.png

Big Stevie - I am sure you have tried this but try toggling them off and on, because I can see from your screenshot that although you have them turned on , you should see a dark get event title at the top of each event, which you can collapse. Try and scroll up and down in the view window, it may be that you can't see the bar due to the amount on photo's you have in the event.

Tried toggling on/off but still no joy. I notice that you have a number count of photos next to each source, should I also be seeing this? Heres a screen shot when in Photos view (that should ideally have a collapsable Event title) that contains the last few photos of one Event, and the first few photos of a new Event..

iPhotoeventlist.png

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
The bar overlaps the photos if there are too many photos in an event. Image

Yep you are quite right, Thank you. Looks like Big Steve has a bit of a bug in his iPhoto 11. Looking for a fix....

Photo count is part of the Event Title, which for some reason is not displaying on your system.

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
You could try repairing/rebuilding your iPhoto Library. This has fixed issues in the past for me.

PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE WORKING BACKUPS BEFORE DOING THIS!!
It's unlikely that anything would go wrong but it's not worth the risk without a backup.

• Quit iPhoto
• Hold CMD+ALT(Option) keys.
• Launch iPhoto while keeping holding down the keys until a dialog box appears.
• Try repairing the database.
• If that doesn't work then try rebuilding it.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Well if I cant get a fix then I may well do this just incase there are additional issues Ive not yet noticed. Im backed up with Time Machine & Time Capsule:)

Hopefully repairing and or rebuilding the database will fix the problem, I can't find any support articles with this sort of problem before.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Looks like I'm special then:D Had I not read the iPhoto Missing Manual book then id be non the wiser and probably wouldn't be missing the feature, but now I want it badly:D

Thanks for all the help guys:)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Looks like I'm special then:D Had I not read the iPhoto Missing Manual book then id be non the wiser and probably wouldn't be missing the feature, but now I want it badly:D

Thanks for all the help guys:)

If I recall, your system is new.... if you are still within the 3 month window you can call Apple for support (for free). Let them figure it out. They are also the experts. If you outside of the 3 months, but have bought the extended AppleCare Warranty... then you can still call... you get 3 years worth of calls for support.

And if you are outside the 3 month window, and haven't bought AppleCare... you might consider it.

At least these are terms in North America, you may need to check for the UK. You will also learn some more about your system as the tech walks you through some arcane keyboard finger exercises....

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Thats a good idea, I do have Apple Care cover so I'll give them a call tomorrow and report back.
Cheers

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2011
Hi, I know this is a long time after you posted, but I am having the same problem.
You said you'd post back after contacting Apple Care. As you haven't, I assume you got some result. I wonder if you'd mind sharing.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Hi, I know this is a long time after you posted, but I am having the same problem.
You said you'd post back after contacting Apple Care. As you haven't, I assume you got some result. I wonder if you'd mind sharing.

Yes, sorry. I didn't contact Apple but I think I managed to solve it. I think the mistake I made was trying to do it when viewing Events. But it has to be done in Photos.

Click on 'Photos' in the coloum on the left, then > View > Event Titles. I assume thats the correct way to do it?

ScreenShot2013-10-27at225127_zps84c35490.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.