Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
My white iPhone 5 had excellent battery life but I got tired of the color because I usually get black. So I traded with a guy off of CL.. did our number swap at a Sprint store.

Now, this black one I have is getting pretty poor battery life. I've done everything mentioned in this thread with no luck. The guy didn't mention this to me and the deal was done through CL so i'm not going to call him back and request to trade back

My next question is, can I take this one to Apple and request a replacement? What does Apple do at the store to test the battery drain?

whiskeytown

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Wirral, England
My white iPhone 5 had excellent battery life but I got tired of the color because I usually get black. So I traded with a guy off of CL.. did our number swap at a Sprint store.

Now, this black one I have is getting pretty poor battery life. I've done everything mentioned in this thread with no luck. The guy didn't mention this to me and the deal was done through CL so i'm not going to call him back and request to trade back

My next question is, can I take this one to Apple and request a replacement? What does Apple do at the store to test the battery drain?

I took my iPhone 4 in just after I bought it because of the battery. All I noticed the genius doing what checking the usage stats on the phone. I didn't manage to get a replacement and can imagine it would be difficult to due to the fact that there are so many factors in determining how long a battery should last.

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
Did you put the very same apps and settings on your replacement?

Yep the same setting.
1st phone charged it to full 100% battery then updated to 6.0.2 somehow messed up my phone battery calibration battery only lasted 2 hours max.

2nd replacement phone charged it to full 100% battery then updated to 6.0.2 same thing happening again battery lasted 3 hours max.

3rd replacement just did a straight update to 6.0.2. (NO FULL CHARGE TO 100%) battery currently lasting around 8 hours.
Still sitting at 100% after 7 hours standby.

Firmware 6.0.2 definitely has battery calibration issue.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Does anyone else have an issue with their their iPhone heating up when using? Is it normal? Wondering if that had something to do with my poor battery.

Edit: I'm at 2 hours of use with 3 hours of standby and I'm now at 60%. This is borderline ************. I'm going to try and restore my phone when I get off work. Hopefully that does something.

Last edited:

er15

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
How are people getting insane battery usage on 3G/LTE? I barely even get 5 hours on mine :mad:

Terarchi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
Mine is fine, I think...
Unfortunately we don't have LTE here, only 3G.
nupa7eha.jpg

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Brightness is set to 50 %, a couple of phone calls, 3G on, but most of the time I was at home on wi-fi. Took the photo after the battery died.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 113

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I took some advice from a poster on the Apple forums, and restored my iPhone as a new phone, not from a backup. Didn't think it would make a difference, which it didn't seem to until the second attempt. Here are the results so far:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358134857.921749.jpg

I'm hoping it stays this way, but you never can tell with technology. I think I may have found a second culprit, if not the carrier who set my phone up. Pages seems to have had a problem syncing one of my files. It would not complete the sync and would hang forever it seemed. I deleted the file from the website just in case that was the problem. Others might want to see if there is something similar happening to them.

Edit: here are the results about five to ten minutes before she shut off. This is with mostly mild to moderate usage on wifi as well as some time with FaceTime thrown in:

neha3aha.jpg

Last edited:

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
Great Battery Here

Replacement Phone Battery Finished @ USAGE 10 Hours 14 Minutes
STANDBY 4 Days 2 Hours

That with 4 Hours streaming Tune in Radio. (Wi-Fi ON Only and BT ON).
1 Hour watching iTV Player. (Wi-Fi ON Only).
1 Hour watching BBC iPlayer.(Wi-Fi ON Only).
1 Hour Surfing the Internet. (3G ON Only).
2 Hours Streaming NETFLIX Movie. (Wi-Fi ON Only).

Getting Amazing Battery Life Here.
Location Setting On.
LTE Off.(NO LTE HERE YET).
NO Push.(NO EMAIL SET UP).
Notifications.(ON).
Privacy-Location Services.(ALL TURNED OFF).
iCloud.(ON).
Brightness Level. (30%).

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Over four days since the last full charge, and still going!

I tried all the battery-saving tips and none of them really helped much...

Except last week I discharged the battery to 1% and then charged fully for 2-4 hours. That made all the difference!

Location Settings On (for the apps I need it for)
LTE On
Push Off
Notifications On (for the apps I need it for)
Privacy-Location Services Off
iCloud Off
Brightness Level 30%

Attachments

• iPhone5batt.PNG
    iPhone5batt.PNG
    107.6 KB · Views: 123

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
Finally took the plunge on my iphone 5 setting back up as new and starting fresh. Did not restore from a backup at all. I had been using a backup from an iphone 4 and before that Iphone 2g model. I was only getting around 5 hours of usage out of mine. Yesterday it looked like just over 4 hours with about an hour of video, lots of texting, and a little bit internet browsing. I am on 4g HSPA+ network with LTE turned off as it isn't here yet.

I am hoping that this greatly improves the battery usage b/c it is frustrating to see people get 9 -10 hours of usage and I am lucky to hit 6 hours. I will let you know how it turns out after a few days or so.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
You will see a difference I'm sure. Make sure that you don't have something syncing continuously via iCloud in the background like I did with Pages. That might also be the problem. Delete the document if it is.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's so hard to really compare numbers for battery usage since a lot of things can and do factor in--primarily the type of usage, the length of usage, the type of connection used, the strength of that connection, etc., etc., etc.

With the use of airplane mode and WiFi when possible you can make a phone have half a day of usage (12+ hours) and half a month of standby (15+ days) before it dies...but does that really say anything if you then post that screenshot (while you are not in airplane mode anymore)?

Barring some fairly obvious things--like something not working correctly, or constantly running in the background, or having a poor signal/connection--there are quite a few variables in play in most cases to say anything beyond some sort of a generic average that some will still normally be above and others below (thus the "average" part of it).

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
You will see a difference I'm sure. Make sure that you don't have something syncing continuously via iCloud in the background like I did with Pages. That might also be the problem. Delete the document if it is.

I'm getting about 6 hours usage and 15 hours standby. I'll try this.

mcneilis

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2011
Sorry if this has been asked in this massive thread before but exactly how does the number for usage relate to standby? I've unplugged my phone from a full charge 18 minutes ago and naturally have 18 mins standby, but I also have 18 mins usage, despite the phone being asleep for at least 6 of those mins on two separate 3 minute occasions. I wasn't downloading anything in the background either.

AntDogs

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
now if i have Programs like

Instagram
IMO (instant messenger)
Google Plus
Twitter
Foursquare
Get Glue Tumblr
Facebook
Whats App
ESPN Score Center
Yelp
Groupon

These are the type of programs that are always looking for information correct? if i deleted them would that increase battery life?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sorry if this has been asked in this massive thread before but exactly how does the number for usage relate to standby? I've unplugged my phone from a full charge 18 minutes ago and naturally have 18 mins standby, but I also have 18 mins usage, despite the phone being asleep for at least 6 of those mins on two separate 3 minute occasions. I wasn't downloading anything in the background either.
It means something on the phone--an app or a service on the phone itself (like mail or sync of some sort)--was in fact still running while you weren't using the phone. Sometimes it's just a service or an app wrapping something up that takes a few minutes after your use, other times it can be something that could be stuck or running indefinitely, so it depends.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I'm on 6.0 right now. When I got the phone, I was getting amazing battery life, then it suddenly went to ****. I get about 6 hours usage and 15 hours standby. I'm hoping to jailbreak when 6.1 comes out. Has anyone seen an increase in battery life by restoring and moving to 6.0.2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.