Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Hello everybody! :)

Need to choose between the Multi-Touch Magic Mouse and the even more gesture-friendly Magic Trackpad and, quite frankly, I am lost here... :rolleyes:

What do you prefer using under OS X Mountain Lion and why, please? :confused:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I couldn't stand the feel of the magic mouse, and doing gestures with it was a mess (it is difficult keeping it in place and doing gestures). I got hand cramps like crazy! I switched to a logitech mouse. I have a track pad for doing gestures. I don't use it for pointing and clicking, but rather swiping and what not.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
I use MagicTrackpads. They are much quicker and easier to find on the desk (since they rarely move), gesture support is significantly better (and easier) due to the larger surface area.

I also have a smaller desk and like not having to leave any area to move my mouse about.

The only thing I use a regular mouse for is if I have a ton of precise pointing to do. If you do LOTS of illustrator/photoshop work, or something along the lines of CAD you might want to consider a traditional mouse.

jfjkd01

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
I use only a Magic Trackpad with OS X lion. I will never use a mouse again.

Last edited:

mariotheotaku

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
+1 for the trackpad. I went to a Best Buy today and tried both and the MM felt too cramped, not because of its size (perfect size mouse for my medium hands) but my fingers were getting cramped after a while trying to do some swipe gestures. I went ahead and got the MT. I have a cheap logitect mouse that I'm using atm.

I won't lie, I'll probably end up getting one later on for clicking and dragging but for gestures the MT is the better suitor.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
It comes down to personal preference.....

If you have the wherewithal, and the desk space, go for both!

I use just a basic wired Logitech mouse, which suits me just fine. I have played around with the Magic Mouse, and do like it, but not enough to justify buying one. The idea of having to change batteries seems a hassle too; a small thing, but a drag none the less.

I have also tried the Magic Trackpad, and the Trackpad on the Apple laptops. I like it more than all I have encountered on PC laptops, some of which I have found to be truly dreadful. I bought a mouse to use instead of the trackpad on the PC laptop that I sometimes use to score cricket games.

There are some things I like about the Magic Trackpad, but I cannot see it replacing a mouse, for me at least. I could see one possibly supplementing a mouse..... but that is just me. There are those who prefer use only a trackpad.

Which brings us back to.... it comes down to personal preference.

CrazyNurse

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Like others, I keep my mouse (MS explorer) for more intensive mouse clicking activities.

The Magic Trackpad is such a natural switch if you have used an iDevice or macbook.

*The only problem I have encountered is that clicking with the trackpad at the OSX login screen doesn't seem to work. Other than that it has been awesome.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Both :D

I like the Magic Mouse as a mouse, the scrolling and left/right swipe are very nice & better than other mice I've used. However the other gestures leave a lot to be desired, so I did get a Magic Trackpad that I use probably 80% of the time. Sometimes the precision of a mouse is nice though, so the Magic Mouse is still paired & just a short reach away.

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
I've used both extensively, and prefer the magic trackpad. I think the main reason I like it is because, with tap to click enabled, its totally silent. The magic mouse is constantly making noise as you move it around.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I left the desk top years ago. For my use no other device controls my Mac Mini as effortlessly. but I'm a 10 footer; sofa to TV, no desk for me. I use a firm pillow on my sofa, and it is perfect. So I don't have the issues others mentioned like noise?, too slippery etc. The flat pillow is perfect for the Magic Mouse. and the thinness of the MM is easy to use this way. I can see on hard desk that the MM would be less ideal.
I tried the trackpad but it was too bulky and clumsy on a sofa.
good luck.

Exodist

macrumors member
I do a lot of photo editing with Lr and Ps. Mouse is a must for me. At first I was skeptical on the Magic Mouse and it took me a bit to get used to. But now I use it fluently as I did the track pad. Now I do have a complaint about the mouse and that it is little to low profile and the top edges were little sharp IMHO. I would have preferred if the back part of the mouse was little taller to allow better grip with thumb and pinky finger. Little ergonomics 101 and Apple would have a 5 star product. Don't get me wrong, its excellent built and works great. But the ergonomics is the only downside to this jewel.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
I have every Magic Mouse - does about Half what a Track Pad can.
In bed - from Ten feet away to infinity - Perfect.
ZOom in from any distance at will.

The mouse almost pulls it off - in bed - Slight Handicap.

On a desk - yea - the Mouse is fussy and accurate.
TrackPad - it will be a long time before they beat this device.

Depends Mainly just how detail the moves need to be.
To airbrush a hair line - the mouse has the advantage.

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Hello everybody! :)

Need to choose between the Multi-Touch Magic Mouse and the even more gesture-friendly Magic Trackpad and, quite frankly, I am lost here... :rolleyes:

What do you prefer using under OS X Mountain Lion and why, please? :confused:

I would tell you to to best buy and purchase both. Keep the one you like and return the other.

I prefer the Magic Mouse as my hand tends to cramp from the track pad.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I have the apple wireless keyboard, Magic Trackpad, and a cheap logitech M510 wireless mouse that I use. I have the Meshwe Bluefin that I use to connect the keyboard and track pad together for easier use on the couch and lap.

Meshwe Bluefin

I have a very small desk that my 22" LCD Proview monitor sits on (it was a freebee from a friend since I owned laptops before and didn't need a monitor) and my Mac Mini sit on so I wanted something that I could connect the keyboard/trackpad together and then just keep the mouse separate. I love the gestures on the ipad so I figured what the hell, get the trackpad for the mac. My mini sits right next to my Vizio 47" LED 1080P, 240Hz TV and I use that for my additional screen for when I am on the couch to either do work, surf the internet or watch a movie. The monitor is really there so that I can keep doing work on the mini when the TV is being used by someone else. I download a lot of video files and they need to be converted to .m4v format and then organized in iTunes for playback on my three ATV3s in my house.

The bluefin works well enough but doesn't keep the trackpad from being able to rotate in the groove that the battery housing goes into. That is good and bad. Good because that is one way you are going to get it out by rotating it up and then popping the battery part out. Bad because it gives a false sense of stability. It feels like the track pad is going to fall off/out of the bluefin piece, but so far nothing. It does work well to keep them both together and I am happy with it overall. There are a few other options out there that I looked at, some wouldn't let you use the magic trackpads click feature (the bluefin does allow you to click).

As for general mouse use, when I am at the desk and I need to do a lot of clicking and moving around I use the logitech mouse. I use the trackpad for gestures mostly.

I haven't tried the MM though but heard a lot of the same issues, hand cramps trying to use it and the majority of people said the same thing, just use a regular mouse and save the $69 (minus the difference of the new mouse unless you have one already).

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
Try both to see which one you fancy. These kind of things you can not really tell unless you give it a try yourself. You might end up keeping both. There seem to be more votes for the Trackpad though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.