Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Here come the moral police. I forgot everyone on here is a gift from God. Get over yourselves. All he said is needed money desperately for his parents in Nigeria and received these as gifts. I've done a lot of craigslists deal and people will sell their items for absolutely dirt low prices bc they need to pay rent. Do I feel bad for them? Of course but there's not much I can do.

There fixed. That's the only thing missing from that sob story.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
The Price is too good to be true, if it's too good to be true most likely something is off, if I were you I would never take them to an Apple store to be serviced if anything goes wrong. If it was reported stolen ..... it's going to look real bad...

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Finally a real person. And to people who think I'm a bad person you guy's have no concept of the real world. And most of all he was a decent looking civilian. He did not look like a person with bad intent or some trashy thug.

Moderators - please lock this thread.

I will say I know of a legit person who sells musical gear really cheap, mostly because in certain circles people happen to do stupid things like drink and drive and then get DWI's. Enter I need cash now, will sell my gear cheap as hell be it amps, pedals, guitars and so on to pay the lawyers and get on with life at a huge cost. It's not right and maybe unfair to lowball when buying but the real world also instills common sense too…

Thanks for the laugh about how they looked, I'm guessing you don't do that, judge, like you complain about others questioning you here huh in the cyber world though it is part of the real world? That's fine…just try not to get upset when others do the same and stick to why you enjoy the iPad, Droid and so on so much without adding the back story next time. I really don't think you would find it tasteful if I bragged about your misfortune (the situation that is, not you). That is all anyone here was getting at and that is real world common sense…

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I recently came across an ad for a 3D 55 inch TV for $750.00, Retail at BB was 1500.00.

She gave me the receipt that showed she purchased it two months earlier, and when I googled her phone number she tried to sell the TV for 1300 a week earlier and then dropped the price on it. I got a great deal and she got the cash she desperately needed.

Side note: She purchased using best buy reward account and actually could have returned the TV because it was in the 60 day window ::Head Slap:: That wasn't my problem, or the fact she left a 64gb thumb drive plugged into the tv...haha. I tried to return thumb drive, but she said to keep it. SCORE!!

Sometimes people just need the cash bad, or maybe they don't. I sold my old Macbook Pro for 200.00 bucks and I could have gotten 500.00 on ebay, but I didn't want to go through the hassle so I just gave it away to someone who was grateful for getting a great deal.

OP probably stolen though...haha

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I recently came across an ad for a 3D 55 inch TV for $750.00, Retail at BB was 1500.00.

She gave me the receipt that showed she purchased it two months earlier, and when I googled her phone number she tried to sell the TV for 1300 a week earlier and then dropped the price on it. I got a great deal and she got the cash she desperately needed.

Side note: She purchased using best buy reward account and actually could have returned the TV because it was in the 60 day window ::Head Slap:: That wasn't my problem, or the fact she left a 64gb thumb drive plugged into the tv...haha. I tried to return thumb drive, but she said to keep it. SCORE!!

Sometimes people just need the cash bad, or maybe they don't. I sold my old Macbook Pro for 200.00 bucks and I could have gotten 500.00 on ebay, but I didn't want to go through the hassle so I just gave it away to someone who was grateful for getting a great deal.

OP probably stolen though...haha

I agree with your idea...who are we to say a person selling it didn't just need the cash and exhausted all their options elsewhere and the only thing they came up with is...hey, I have these two perfectly good iPads and I know I'll get the cash I need badly today if I put them up for so cheap....

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
this reminds once I was looking for an old 80's mini truck a few years back.
I ran across this self admitted scroned recently divorced women selling a new 2008 Tacoma 4x4 ext cab for $4,500 OBO (I called I wanted to know if it was a type'o, nope). Even though I had the cash in full I was totally freaked out by the way-to-stupid-good-to-be-true deal from someone I didn't know.

I don't know maybe I totally rejected the deal of the century I'll never know, but I didn't loose any sleep over it nor do I regret the possible lost because the alternative would have been a night terror come true.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
In most jurisdictions, a charge of receipt of stolen property requires the government to prove knowledge of the stolen nature of the item.

Obviously not the case here. Even highly suspecting something might have been stolen is not "knowledge."

Of course, purchasing goods you believe to be stolen is probably not the best idea. If it turns out the item was stolen and it's traced back to you, you'll be out the item and your money.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
There's no proof that the OP purchased stolen merchandise. As long as he was unaware of the merchandise being stolen, he did not break any law. The OP paid for his iPads. Don't harass him about them.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Here come the moral police. I forgot everyone on here is a gift from God. Get over yourselves. All he said is needed money desperately and received these as gifts. I've done a lot of craigslists deal and people will sell their items for absolutely dirt low prices bc they need to pay rent. Do I feel bad for them? Of course but there's not much I can do.

I like this post. After being on macrumors for a few years, a gut check post like this comes once every few years.

While it is a good chance the iPads are stolen. There is also a good chance the person did get them as gifts and didn't care for them, so they sold it.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I like this post. After being on macrumors for a few years, a gut check post like this comes once every few years.

While it is a good chance the iPads are stolen. There is also a good chance the person did get them as gifts and didn't care for them, so they sold it.

Absolutely no chance. 32GB iPad 4 is $600 + tax. Let's say we forget the tax. It's $1200 for both of them, brand new. Registered only a few days ago, apparently. So they're a couple of days old. If they were gifts, they'd be easily returned. Heck, even if you were DESPERATE, you'd be insane to sell them for $450 for BOTH.

Good grief, people.

Well done on getting a good deal, OP! However, this is NOT the place to tell us, "I bought two iPads for a good price." It doesn't serve any purpose. At all.

bumblehat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
I will attest to this story as I myself have sold an iPad 3 32gb for $250 back in May because I needed the money when things took a bad turn in my life. No one else was making any better offers. It happens. I wanted more out of it but couldn't get any bites. Doesn't mean he bought stolen goods at all.

This is the stupidest thread ever, but really - someone received two of them as gifts? LOL. Cmon man.

scottick

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Atlanta
Personally I can care less whether OP ipads were stolen or not as this is just another 'cool story bro' post. I am a huge CL shopper and have been since it went on line. I have come across huge impossible legit deals from folks who were desparate (material things means nothing when you absolutely need cash right now) I've personally sold things at impossible it-must-be-stolen prices myself because something else needed to be taken care of immediately but had no money.
From my experience here's usually when your able to tell if that screaming impossible deal is a stolen item.

Technically, it's I could not care less. "I can care less" implies you, in fact, have room to care whether the iPads were stolen or not. Which contradicts all the rubbish you said after you incorrectly stated your level of caring.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Technically, it's I could not care less. "I can care less" implies you, in fact, have room to care whether the iPads were stolen or not. Which contradicts all the rubbish you said after you incorrectly stated your level of caring.

Finally someone who gets it.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
"Hey Johnny, happy New Year! I just talked to your grandmother and she said she got you an iPad identical to the one I got you for Christmas! She said she had to save for so long, but decided that since she loved you so much and how adamant you were about having one of these she could forgo some of her medications, phone bill and cable bills during the fall just to afford the $600 tablet you liked. I'm surprised you didn't tell me you ended getting two of them! I know we have grown apart these past few years and I understand you couldn't make it home this time, but this didn't stop me from feeling you should get an iPad either. So tell me, what are you going to do with your two iPads? Love, Mom"

"Dear Mom, I was so desperate for money I sold them on Craigslist. Unfortunately the internets are so cutthroat these days I had to ask just $450 for the two iPads...sorry I didn't call you, I couldn't bare to tell you I had to part with my gifts. -Johnny"

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
The problem I have is he didn't care, we should care. Am I the moral police well what's wrong with that. For crime to thrive is not to care. How would the op like it if his stuff was stolen and sold cheap. Has happened to me so I care.

Now these may not be stolen I know several people in the pawn business and I am in the gambling business i/we see lost of people that need a fix (gambling or drugs) and have a credit card go buy things just to turn around and sell them in pawn shops.

ajsimeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Wow didn't know there would be such an uproar on this. Look I understand most people are flaming me for the fact that they think I didn't care if it was stolen or not. If he blatantly said these iPads were stolen which I doubt he ever would then of course I wouldn't touch it because in the end it's not his property to sell and I'd always think the back of my mind it could be taken away from me. However....he never did say that and NOTHING about the transaction seemed fishy at all. It was one of the smoothest craigslist deals I've had because he answered all my questions and stayed in contact with me all day. In the 8 hours from when I first talked to him to when I picked it up he could've searched for more money and left the craigslist ad up. He took it down after we reached an agreement. If you have ever used craigslist it's sometimes a very frustrating experience dealing with people sometimes so when you find someone you think is 100% serious then you just don't want to deal with anyone else. I actually respected the fact that he kept his word which is very hard to find people that actually do that in the craigslist world. In the end though, could it have been stolen? Yes it could've but like I said, in my situation in which the sale went that smooth, there's no reason for me to care to think that. I just think it's so funny that people talk this big game about me being a bad person but if they came across this particular deal I'd love to see them pass on it. Sorry everyone for the post.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Here come the moral police. I forgot everyone on here is a gift from God. Get over yourselves. All he said is needed money desperately and received these as gifts. I've done a lot of craigslists deal and people will sell their items for absolutely dirt low prices bc they need to pay rent. Do I feel bad for them? Of course but there's not much I can do.

This seller must have some nice friends to recieve 2 iPad4s as 'gifts'.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
This seller must have some nice friends to recieve 2 iPad4s as 'gifts'.

Or maybe family?

My partner's father was handing out iPads at Christmas to his children and stepchildren, without any knowledge as to whether anyone already had one, was going to receive one as a gift elsewhere, even wanted one to begin with, etc. Not out of the realm of possibility.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
To all you people that are saying "he/she needed money and was desperate" , give me a break!

If someone was desperate they could get 350-400 each for a 32gb ipad 4!!! People would jump all over that deal.

To say they weren't stolen is foolish and immoral.

That was my thought too.

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
The fact he took the ad down is very fishy for one and these people who steal and sell on craiglist are very good at what they do and know what to say and where to meet. But the fact you say you didn't care is the problem. You wanted to get the find of Craigslist that you had blinders on and would over look things. They know this, that why they sell so cheap.

I hope they weren't stolen and hope you did get a great find but I just wish you cared. And yes I would walk away and have.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Or maybe family?

My partner's father was handing out iPads at Christmas to his children and stepchildren, without any knowledge as to whether anyone already had one, was going to receive one as a gift elsewhere, even wanted one to begin with, etc. Not out of the realm of possibility.

Nothing is really out of the realm of possiblity, but some things are highly unlikely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.