Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Does this mean it is safe to update to 6.0.2?

Yes it's safe. Don't worry about it. Listen, if Apple fixed an exploit then the jailbreak would be released. There's no reason for these iOS exploiters to withhold a jailbreak (unless they sold it) to the general public if Apple was rolling out an update to fix the exploit.

Sometimes these exploiters keep it to themselves because they don't want Apple to fix it. But if Apple is already fixing it then there is no need to keep it hidden.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Yes it's safe. Don't worry about it. Listen, if Apple fixed an exploit then the jailbreak would be released. There's no reason for these iOS exploiters to withhold a jailbreak (unless they sold it) to the general public if Apple was rolling out an update to fix the exploit.

Sometimes these exploiters keep it to themselves because they don't want Apple to fix it. But if Apple is already fixing it then there is no need to keep it hidden.

another one with no clue

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK

Stunning!
Presumably you use Android? And hate all iOS users?

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I'm assuming that if a jailbreak is not going to be released, planetbeing wouldn't have gone public with his comments and Musclenerd on twitter seemed to indicate that a jailbreak would be coming out this year.

I still have like 5 months before I qualify for a full upgrade so I don't even know if it makes sense for me to upgrade when they jailbreak iOS 6

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
I'm assuming that if a jailbreak is not going to be released, planetbeing wouldn't have gone public with his comments and Musclenerd on twitter seemed to indicate that a jailbreak would be coming out this year.

I still have like 5 months before I qualify for a full upgrade so I don't even know if it makes sense for me to upgrade when they jailbreak iOS 6

You asume a lot.
When a jailbreak is released then it will be clear if you should upgrade.
Until then it is recommended that you don't.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Where have you been everyone knows apple doesn't make their product based on what people want, they make their products based on what they (apple) want. This has always been the case for apple, they don't care about #'s.

Based on the #'s that apple has been selling, apparently by doing what apple wants to do has worked.

Isn't something Apple would do though just to obsolete older hardware???

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
You asume a lot.
When a jailbreak is released then it will be clear if you should upgrade.
Until then it is recommended that you don't.

I'm really actually curious about something? Has there ever been a jailbreak release that HASN'T been available for the most recent firmware? I cannot recall ever being out of luck because I upgraded to 4.0.2 or whatever. :confused:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Isn't something Apple would do though just to obsolete older hardware???

Of coarse Apple's bottom line is to make you feel as if your year old iPhone is obsolete. That is business. However, when Apple decides on new features they go about putting those they feel are what people are going to want and then market those features as such.

Other companies just put stuff out that go with people's wants. However, we all know that the wants of people are unlimited. You will never appease them. However, by appeasing no one, Apple has created a nice way of selling.

Took me a while to get what he meant.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
So is there an untethered jailbreak for my iPhone 5 or what?

Nope. Really just lot of rumors of one. There's a tethered one for the 4S and 4 if you want.

Don't ever google "iphone 5 jailbreak", it will just break your heart as the first few links are big teases that it exists...

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Of coarse Apple's bottom line is to make you feel as if your year old iPhone is obsolete. That is business. However, when Apple decides on new features they go about putting those they feel are what people are going to want and then market those features as such.

Other companies just put stuff out that go with people's wants. However, we all know that the wants of people are unlimited. You will never appease them. However, by appeasing no one, Apple has created a nice way of selling.

Took me a while to get what he meant.

It goes back a couple posts to allowing a Jailbreak on newer iPhones and then closing the holes with new iOS versions as they got older to force people to buy the newer one. Just a sort of joke about Apple forcing hardware upgrades.

drakestan

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
You guys...

Planetbeing has stated that they are going to keep ONE bug for themselves. To make the exploit work, it needs 4+ bugs. Once 6.1 is released, they need to find ONE more bug so that they can release it without using the bug they want to keep. It could still be weeks, months until the jailbreak is actually released. Don't get your hopes up, because it most likely won't be immediate or within 2 weeks after the release.

If you want the JB so bad, you need to hope that all the bugs they use are broken in 6.1 which Planetbeing stated they would release it then because there's no point in keeping it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.