Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
I'm am so frustrated. Every time I try to access my online class I get this error on firefox.

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at fa.bellevuecollege.edu:8443

I have tried all the obvious things...

First off it's a local problem and different browsers don't help.

Other people's laptops work on the same networks.

I have deleted all my internet files, reinstalled browsers, ran virus checks, installed os.x. mountain lion, turned off my firewall. I'm out of ideas... please help I need to get on for school.

Oh and I forgot to mention- this is the only website that doesn't work!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm am so frustrated. Every time I try to access my online class I get this error on firefox.

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at fa.bellevuecollege.edu:8443

I have tried all the obvious things...

First off it's a local problem and different browsers don't help.

Other people's laptops work on the same networks.

I have deleted all my internet files, reinstalled browsers, ran virus checks, installed os.x. mountain lion, turned off my firewall. I'm out of ideas... please help I need to get on for school.

Oh and I forgot to mention- this is the only website that doesn't work!

Erm, you have a virus scanner/internet security running?

We got one here just a couple of days ago, deleted this crap and it worked again.

You should read this:

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ - Mac Guides

BTW, the Virus Scanner/Internet Security Software was from TrendMicro.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Try changing your DNS servers to Google's.

Open Network Preferences -> Advanced -> DNS tab -> + sign -> 8.8.8.8 -> + sign again -> 8.8.4.4 -> OK -> Apply

*click the images to make them larger*

4IPSP.png
Qy1jM.png

P3HQ9.png
BdEek.png

ksmve.png

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Unfortunately, that didn't work either.

What is in your:

/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems

Folders?

BTW, it is better to use quote so we can see you replied.

Edit: I just googled iAntivirus, WTF, it's the worst crap, NORTON, you might still have stuff installed by this malware.

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
What steps did you take to remove the AV program? Some files may still be left over and could be what's causing the error.

Try the steps in this post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/11171082/

I just put it into the trash, I'm confused what to search for in the activity monitor.

----------

What is in your:

/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems

Folders?

BTW, it is better to use quote so we can see you replied.

Edit: I just googled iAntivirus, WTF, it's the worst crap, NORTON, you might still have stuff installed by this malware.

How do I find these files?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I just put it into the trash, I'm confused what to search for in the activity monitor.

You should search for all files with name iAntivirus, if you use this App it is much easier.

Easyfind is free.

But, as I asked you before, what is in the next few folders?

/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems

Also, didn't the Norton App come with an uninstaller?

Edit: To find these folders press Command-Shift-G and paste /Library into it.

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
You should search for all files with name iAntivirus, if you use this App it is much easier.

Easyfind is free.

But, as I asked you before, what is in the next few folders?

/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems

Also, didn't the Norton App come with an uninstaller?

I don't have Norton, and I'm not sure how to find those folders

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I don't have Norton, and I'm not sure how to find those folders

I edited my last post, see there how to go there, you can also click in the Menu Bar on Go, then Go to Folder... and enter /Library.

Yes you had/have, iAntivirus is Norton, I googled it.

Edit: From Google, Symantec iAntivirus for Mac - CNET Download.com = Norton.

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
I edited my last post, see there how to go there, you can also click in the Menu Bar on Go, then Go to Folder... and enter /Library.

Yes you have, iAntivirus is Norton, I googled it.

Okay so I looked under launch agents and it shows mackeeper. I read about this, is that probably the problem?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Okay so I looked under launch agents and it shows mackeeper. I read about this, is that probably the problem?

AHA, Mackeeper, that is totally Malware, another rubbish software, this is potentially dangerous and has been a problem for many Users here, even non bootable Systems!!

Edit: Is this all or are there more files, and delete that file.

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013

Yes you had/have, iAntivirus is Norton, I googled it.

Edit: From Google, Symantec iAntivirus for Mac - CNET Download.com = Norton.

Here's the screenshot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 11.37.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 11.37.52 PM.png
    552.9 KB · Views: 252

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
AHA, Mackeeper, that is totally Malware, another rubbish software, this is potentially dangerous and has been a problem for many Users here, even non bootable Systems!!

Edit: Is this all or are there more files, and delete that file.

I deleted it, couldn't find any other files.

That website is still not working though.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I deleted it, couldn't find any other files.

That website is still not working though.

No of course not, you have to restart to make the changes active.

Have you searched for anything called Norton or symantec, did the program come with an uninstaller.
Do this before restarting.

Edit: You also looked in the other folder which I mentioned above?

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
No of course not, you have to restart to make the changes active.

Have you searched for anything called Norton or symantec, did the program come with an uninstaller.
Do this before restarting.

Nothing under those two, and no it didn't

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
In Easyfind you have to click files and check the Invisible files and folders and the package contents to find all files related.

There was nothing under those names, but all of mackeeper stuff is deleted.

Website still doesn't work.

----------

there was nothing under those names, but all of mackeeper stuff is deleted.

Website still doesn't work.

edit

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Screenshot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 12.03.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 12.03.02 AM.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 241

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Screenshot

I get this if I enter the url:

***It works !

If you're seeing this page via a web browser, it means you've setup Tomcat successfully. Congratulations!

This is the default Tomcat home page. It can be found on the local filesystem at: /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/ROOT/index.html

Tomcat6 veterans might be pleased to learn that this system instance of Tomcat is installed with CATALINA_HOME in /usr/share/tomcat6 and CATALINA_BASE in /var/lib/tomcat6, following the rules from /usr/share/doc/tomcat6-common/RUNNING.txt.gz.

You might consider installing the following packages, if you haven't already done so:

tomcat6-docs: This package installs a web application that allows to browse the Tomcat 6 documentation locally. Once installed, you can access it by clicking here.

tomcat6-examples: This package installs a web application that allows to access the Tomcat 6 Servlet and JSP examples. Once installed, you can access it by clicking here.

tomcat6-admin: This package installs two web applications that can help managing this Tomcat instance. Once installed, you can access the manager webapp and the host-manager webapp.

NOTE: For security reasons, using the manager webapp is restricted to users with role "manager". The host-manager webapp is restricted to users with role "admin". Users are defined in /etc/tomcat6/tomcat-users.xml.***

----

Damage might have been done by MacKeeper, and I say might, the App has it's reputation here on MR, and you still did not answer my question about iAntivirus, did it come with an uninstaller?

Edit: did you try in Safari or another browser?

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013

***It works !

If you're seeing this page via a web browser, it means you've setup Tomcat successfully. Congratulations!

This is the default Tomcat home page. It can be found on the local filesystem at: /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/ROOT/index.html

Tomcat6 veterans might be pleased to learn that this system instance of Tomcat is installed with CATALINA_HOME in /usr/share/tomcat6 and CATALINA_BASE in /var/lib/tomcat6, following the rules from /usr/share/doc/tomcat6-common/RUNNING.txt.gz.

You might consider installing the following packages, if you haven't already done so:

tomcat6-docs: This package installs a web application that allows to browse the Tomcat 6 documentation locally. Once installed, you can access it by clicking here.

tomcat6-examples: This package installs a web application that allows to access the Tomcat 6 Servlet and JSP examples. Once installed, you can access it by clicking here.

tomcat6-admin: This package installs two web applications that can help managing this Tomcat instance. Once installed, you can access the manager webapp and the host-manager webapp.

NOTE: For security reasons, using the manager webapp is restricted to users with role "manager". The host-manager webapp is restricted to users with role "admin". Users are defined in /etc/tomcat6/tomcat-users.xml.***

----

Damage might have been done by MacKeeper, and I say might, the App has it's reputation here on MR, and you still did not answer my question about iAntivirus, did it come with an uninstaller?

I didn't see one, no.

http://bellevuecollege.edu/canvas/

It's the login button after that.

----------

***It works !

----

Edit: did you try in Safari or another browser?

yes I've tried other browsers, same thing.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I didn't see one, no.

http://bellevuecollege.edu/canvas/

It's the login button after that.

Can't see that, can not log in:p

yes I've tried other browsers, same thing.

So User account wide, or system wide.

What you can do next is to login into another account, if you don't have one create one in Users And Groups in System Preferences, then login to that account, what happens there, if it is the same it's system wide, if it's working then there is something in your User Account preventing to login.

Try the above first.

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Can't see that, can not log in:p

So User account wide, or system wide.

What you can do next is to login into another account, if you don't have one create one in Users And Groups in System Preferences, then login to that account, what happens there, if it is the same it's system wide, if it's working then there is something in your User Account preventing to login.

Try the above first.

The issue is on my computer only, I can't get to the login page, that's where I'm getting the error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.