Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
Guess since I'm an original backer I should be getting it fairly soon after they start shipping.

Over time i've had doubts about this, and at times wanted to cancel my order (but it was too late) so i'll give it a shot and see what it's about since i've already committed my money to this.

Mine has been paid for for so long it will feel like getting a free gift. :D

Sony311

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Can't wait to get mine! one of the 1st of the 1st 100 backers!!! woohoo! Please let it be the Limited Edition one....

----------

I hope you drop your watch...
:rolleyes:

Thanks for adding any substance to the forum.

I was just playing with an inherited watch, over 100 years old, with lots of nifty gears and moving things. What a work of industrial art! It is a Waltham and there are photos of the factory with hundreds of skilled Americans sitting at workstations, no cubicles, making these not an assembly line either, each one made pridefully by one person.

It still works and keeps good time despite not being wound in at least 50 years.

A electronic watch, made in China, worthless electronic debris in a couple of years...looks like it cost $12 at WallofChinaMart...just not the same thing.

And would any good watch be called a "Pebble"? Sound like a cartoon or sugary breakfast food for unparented children. Well, maybe it is.

What watch would the Most Interesting Man in the World wear? I don't know, but it would have gears and be made of blingy metal.

----------

They are still taking PRE-Orders.

Feel better now?

----------

Pretty sure that they aren't accepting orders anymore. Goal is to fulfill all of the original orders generated thru Kickstarter and only then will they reopen sales to the general public. So more likely you'd need to wait a couple months before even being able to get an order in, and I am betting that they will get swamped again, resulting in longer then expected delivery times.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
LOL :rolleyes:

I was just playing with an inherited watch, over 100 years old, with lots of nifty gears and moving things. What a work of industrial art! It is a Waltham and there are photos of the factory with hundreds of skilled Americans sitting at workstations, no cubicles, making these not an assembly line either, each one made pridefully by one person.

It still works and keeps good time despite not being wound in at least 50 years.

A electronic watch, made in China, worthless electronic debris in a couple of years...looks like it cost $12 at WallofChinaMart...just not the same thing.

And would any good watch be called a "Pebble"? Sound like a cartoon or sugary breakfast food for unparented children. Well, maybe it is.

What watch would the Most Interesting Man in the World wear? I don't know, but it would have gears and be made of blingy metal.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I personally am a backer and I am pretty excited about this device. I am a college student so I am excited to use this while sitting in class to see if it is worth it to dig my phone out to reply to a text I just got.

yup. these are my thoughts exactly.

Lynyrdskynyrd

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
I would not preorder!!!!! I have been a backer of this watch for almost a year and Eric has done nothing but lie to all of us!!! He announced at CES that shipping would start twice a week and that they were already in MP for 2 weeks. He said there would be 15,000 watches produce per week and they are only doing a 1000 per day. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY ANY OF YOUR MONEY!!!!

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
I would not preorder!!!!! I have been a backer of this watch for almost a year and Eric has done nothing but lie to all of us!!! He announced at CES that shipping would start twice a week and that they were already in MP for 2 weeks. He said there would be 15,000 watches produce per week and they are only doing a 1000 per day. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY ANY OF YOUR MONEY!!!!

Wait, so you're upset that you're getting one of the most technologically innovative watches in years, both sooner and for less money than most people, and you're still mad that it's had a few hiccups in production? At least you're getting one :rolleyes:

Lynyrdskynyrd

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
I'm upset because of all the lies!!!! If Eric and his so called team were honest with his backers, then that would be fine.

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
Haha well they're certainly a team at least. But in reference to your comment that they're not producing on schedule - they can't anticipate everything. They thought it would be a couple thousand orders, not 85,000, remember? They've had to completely change their strategy on almost everything. Granted, those plans have solidified a bit more as time went on, but not everything works up to expectations. Eric can't give you any values other than what his production plant manager has told him they should be capable of, so is it really his fault?

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
been thinking of pre-ordering one, but I may wait until gen 2

p.s. if I were them I would fire whoever is responsible for the low res pics on their site, it makes the watch look less appealing than it really is

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Oh lord, he's left the Pebble forums to come whine in here. :rolleyes:

----------

I'm upset because of all the lies!!!! If Eric and his so called team were honest with his backers, then that would be fine.

Lack of information, perhaps. Lies, I see nothing that indicates a lie.

Lynyrdskynyrd

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Eric knew in May2012 that he had 85000 backers. This is what happens when you go overseas to get your product made. TELL THE TRUTH ONCE IN A WHILE ERIC!!!!

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
lol, while the company has severe problems with setting expectations, I'm still fairly happy with them.

(Hehe, if you think it's bad now, note that the Chinese New Year is almost upon us, and that might cause production to grind to a halt for three weeks. :eek: )

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Eric knew in May2012 that he had 85000 backers. This is what happens when you go overseas to get your product made. TELL THE TRUTH ONCE IN A WHILE ERIC!!!!

Still no lies revealed. It's not like he instantly knew how long it would take to fulfill 85,000 orders. Your cries are pointless.

----------

lol, while the company has severe problems with setting expectations, I'm still fairly happy with them.

(Hehe, if you think it's bad now, note that the Chinese New Year is almost upon us, and that might cause production to grind to a halt for three weeks. :eek: )

I'm sure they know this and the mid-March estimate is based on it. If Eric acts surprised when it happens, THEN I'll agree he's a liar.

akonikui

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Oh lord, he's left the Pebble forums to come whine in here. :rolleyes:

Grand total of 3 posts from him and he joined 1/31/13. Looks like he left the pebble forums solely to complain somewhere else.

This is their first mass production run - there are going to be hiccups with production speed and shipping. It's not Apple - they don't have these stockpiled in the millions somewhere.

I was an early backer, don't have my watch yet, and can't wait to get it! :D
That doesn't mean I'm not refreshing my account page every 15 minutes though...

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone –– a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Agreed. It seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

Real watches are usually Swiss and are always mechanical. Unless one is training for a marathon, to be caught with something else is an embarrassment.

Haha, yeah — except my $30 quartz Timex keeps better time than your mechanical watch, and I don't hang out with snobs so I don't get embarrassed wearing it.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I'm sure they know this and the mid-March estimate is based on it. If Eric acts surprised when it happens, THEN I'll agree he's a liar.

----------
https://twitter.com/Pebble/status/297237887932579840
While I'm sure he's not a liar, I think pebble has done a poor job of setting expectations and (now) communications. Their ispebbleshipping site hasn't been updated in a couple of days, and shipping appears to be flatlined because of that (in all fairness, some pebbles were allegedly shipped out yesterday).

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
While I'm sure he's not a liar, I think pebble has done a poor job of setting expectations and (now) communications. Their ispebbleshipping site hasn't been updated in a couple of days, and shipping appears to be flatlined because of that (in all fairness, some pebbles were allegedly shipped out yesterday).

Yeah, they finally updated....but seems they only shipped one time during the week. I'm guessing they are still experiencing customs issues.

And I do agree with the lack of communication. Anybody that blames this on their first time...BS. This isn't their first product, but perhaps it is the first time at this scale. Either way, the basics of project management apply and they I do believe they've known for a long time what their timeline would be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.