Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Okay, mini has arrived. As expected, the build quality is awesome and IPS -panel is nice for sure. The Android-tablet I have is not heavy but the iPad surely is lighter which is great. It will take some time to get used to the iOS, it seems not to have same kind of launcher like Android has, for example. My Android -tablet already has a potential buyer so maybe I'll keep this iPad.

Here are both tablets:

http://aijaa.com/yOAvyE

Might just be me, But the display on the right looks the nicest.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Just fool around with it. The user guide or umpteen ipad magazines in bookstores will help get you around.

Had I known what andriod tablet you had, I would have easily recommended the mini over it without even suggesting you try it out. :)

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Might just be me, But the display on the right looks the nicest.

That Android -tablet has decent display but I assume it's just that the iPad has ambient light sensor dimming the display and it looks darker in that pic. Viewing angles are unsurprisingly better on this iPad but when looking at the screen directly they both are pretty much the same.

So far I haven't noticed any difference of havingly only 512MB of RAM compared to that Android -tablet's 1GB, the OS feels snappy. Then again I use Safari, Mail and Youtube mostly so not the heaviest use for a tablet, no games etc.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That Android -tablet has decent display but I assume it's just that the iPad has ambient light sensor dimming the display and it looks darker in that pic. Viewing angles are unsurprisingly better on this iPad but when looking at the screen directly they both are pretty much the same.

Hopefully so, but if your screen really is muddy yellowlike that get it swapped.

So far I haven't noticed any difference of havingly only 512MB of RAM compared to that Android -tablet's 1GB, the OS feels snappy. Then again I use Safari, Mail and Youtube mostly so not the heaviest use for a tablet, no games etc.

iOS is less resource intensive, so a Mini will feel faster even if it has lower specs.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
will this thread get a follow up thread titled "Why I am sticking with Android" !:D

No it won't or atleast I'm keeping the Mini :) my phone still runs Android and I don't see reason to sell it. I have already found a buyer for my old tablet so I'll go this route now and switch if I feel so.

Any Windows -tablet users here btw?

Hopefully so, but if your screen really is muddy yellowlike that get it swapped.

No I think it's only the low brightness and possibly my camera which makes it look like so, my iPad is set to almost the lowest amount of brightness at the moment, by the automatic setting option. I tried full brightness and it burned my eyes :)

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
I love android ON A PHONE but on s tablet I don't think it's ready.

It's not the os that's a problem(although I do prefer ios on a tablet) it's the lack of tablet apps.

Apple has that cornered and it doesn't seem like android is making any real steps to combat it.

Hardware only, the nexus 7 & 10 are easily better than the mini and iPad, especially resolution, but hardware is just a part of the puzzle

Are you retarded? Are you basing that on what?

The iPad is much faster and much more powerful than the nexus. Only someone retarded would say otherwise when they can see for themselves and/or see benchmarks and apply the native/java context.

Save your stupidity for yourself. If you have doubts, ask us and we will explain, but don't post BS as facts.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK

The iPad is much faster and much more powerful than the nexus. Only someone retarded would say otherwise when they can see for themselves and/or see benchmarks and apply the native/java context.

Save your stupidity for yourself. If you have doubts, ask us and we will explain, but don't post BS as facts.

Wow! Who rattled your cage! Seriously though, try to have an adult discussion without the name calling - its very school playground like ;)

Anyway, I have doubts, please explain. Every benchmark I have seen the Nexus 7 beats the iPad Mini.

Dont know about the Nexus 10 vs iPad 4 - However im sure someone will come along with details.

Not that I care for benchmarks, but if thats the test you want to use.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

I've seen benchmarks that state the opposite.

Also the resolution on both of those tablets are better than Apple's tablets.

But much faster? Nah they aren't. They're both just as fast. This is from someone who's used both, but prefer the ipad.

jenni122701

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
(Western) North Carolina, USA
I use Apple and Android both. I like them each but still have a preference to my iPad. My android is a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Its fantastic too. I use it for travel or using more easily in bed. My iPad I use most often everyday for the majority of my online stuff. I know some people are only for one or the other, but I like both.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
So now I have used mini for couple days. The OS seems mostly stable, there has however been one situation where Safari did not respond to anything, for a while I thought that now this device failed but thankfully not :) I have found an application which is able to download stuff to my iPad called MyMedia, but I suppose I cannot get copy them to PC by hooking the device via USB, not even with iTunes? I have DropBox installed so by using that it of course works. Funny thing is that if I want to hook this to my TV by using HDMI, I have buy an adapter which atleast when sold by Apple costs almost as much as this new cheap Android -tablet I alsp have atm and it jas built-in HDMI :)

Display is good (resolution is of course not the highest) battery lasts long and the device is very light and comfortable to hold for a bit longer perioids.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
If you end up using a lot of Apple devices it just makes sense to get an Apple TV, so you can throw your iPad stuff to the TV via AirPlay....no cable needed. :) (You need to buy the Apple TV, but it does a lot more than a cable does, even without the iPad).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.