Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Bose and Beats are crap - there is no argument. We can try and educate kids about getting scammed in life by helping fading celebrities get richer but why bother let them learn, let them spend hundreds on crap headphones only to discover later that what they really needed was the headphones the artists use in the studio - SONY MDR-7506 for $99 they're professional not consumer, they're neutral not artificial. But if children want to play puppet drone let em, let them learn like we did, life's a short ride if I could do it all over again I'd listen to people warning me about buying ego driven celebrity endorsed *****

Meh. While I agree with you to an extent, I have some AKG Q701's, and while they're, well, they're AKG Q701's, they also have their cons. I've got some Beats by Dre, too. They're plenty good for the average user, and they have their cons. Everyone listens to music differently, but the headphones aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

uk_blaster

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2005
I call BS.

Now that Jobs is dead, you're going to see allot of people coming out and saying, "I told Steve to do this and I told Steve to do that." etc. etc.

Iovine is a business man. If he had such an awesome idea, he'd have kept it and tried to develop it himself. IMO.

He certainly saw the business opportunity to involve himself with a overpriced, mediocre product like Beats.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Meh. While I agree with you to an extent, I have some AKG Q701's, and while they're, well, they're AKG Q701's, they also have their cons. I've got some Beats by Dre, too. They're plenty good for the average user, and they have their cons. Everyone listens to music differently, but the headphones aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

For the price they charge, I think peoples opinion of them are pretty spot on. Average headphones priced for people who dont have a clue.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I think it is because they don't make enough money to be able to afford them.

Or people would like to spend money on headphones that live up to the pricetag :rolleyes: If I wanted beats quality headphones, I'd pay the £20 they are worth. As it stands my DT 770 Pro's are fine for my needs and were at a fair pricetag for the quality level you get.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Aren't we all.

Some more than others.

I think that you are trying to minimize the money-grubbing aspect of Steve's personality by responding that "all" people are similar in that regard.

I would disagree. IMO, the one defining aspect of Steve was his lust for the big bucks. When Woz was a guy who was content with inventing incredible technology, Steve was a guy who wanted nothing more than to monetize his friend's ideas.

What made Steve great was his ability to be a profit-generating CEO of a huge behemoth of a corporation. That is his defining characteristic: he knew how to turn a buck.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Heh, before I saw this article, I thought Beats were made by the Monster Cable people… they seem to use similar marketing strategies.

They were. Monster used to make all Beats products but their license ended at the end of 2012:

Its products were manufactured under exclusive license by consumer electronics company Monster Cable since 2009. Beats has not renewed its five year contract with Monster, which ended late 2012. The company now manufactures all of its products themselves.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beats_Electronics)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I thought this thread was about a subscription music service, not who's headphones are the best according to audiophiles. :confused

I use Spotify every day. Love it. Not sure what would make an Apple subscription service better other than having a larger library of music? But if an artist doesn't allow their music to be streamed via Spotify would they allow it wit Apple?

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
I used to use Pandora, and it was fine, but I've recently switched to Spotify. I use the free version, as I don't mind the ad-supported model. Free Spotify on mobile lets me listen the same way Pandora did, and on the desktop I can select what I want to hear. I like this flexibility.
I also prefer Spotify over Pandora because it integrates with my Last.fm account easily.

I would not pay Apple for a "curated" streaming service when I can get the same thing from Pandora/Spotify for free, especially when I can also get the on-demand service from Spotify (desktop). They would have to bring an awful lot to the table to get me to switch. The iTunes catalog might be bigger, but I'm happy with what Spotify offers me.

Between Spotify, Last.fm, friends, and a mostly music-centric forum I'm on, I've got new music discovery covered.

Though I will say it seems Last.fm is having quite a lot of issues lately, and I probably wouldn't mind if Apple bought it and made it more awesome.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Unles apple plans on adding a spotify like service where we can CHOOSE what songs we want then no thanks on and service from apple

Why the hell would I want to pay apple for a pandora radio program?

The best part of Spotify is that they even have ancient out of print stuff and are international.

Try that from the US itunes store!

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Dr Dre, Birdman, Jay-Z, 50 cent

These are just some names with a higher net worth than any of the artists you listen to. Maybe all the artists you listen to combined. They also invested in a lot of ventures outside of music. Dre with Beats. 50 cent with Vitamine Water. Jay-z...

Invested in? Invested in... I think what you mean is their Agents/producers/labels use them to market certain sounds and certain products to certain demographics... which makes me wonder if Jimmy is also the man behind this...

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
The best part of Spotify is that they even have ancient out of print stuff and are international.

Try that from the US itunes store!

spotify have remixes, mixtapes, and a lot of obscure stuff also, it's great

and they have their own radio features, so again I ask. Why would anyone pay for a radio only service from apple?

now if Apple were to offer a spotify-like streaming service with iTunes library? then I'd drop spotify in a heart beat for it

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Sennheiser is a cheaper Bose? What? Seriously? You're joking, right?

Bose is at the very bottom of the totem pole when it comes to quality. They're so far at the bottom they're fighting with Beats to get a peak out from under the dirt just so someone will notice them.

Sennheiser is light years beyond Bose. Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Grado, AKG.. all names that are so much better than Bose in every way possible that there literally is no comparison between Bose and the other brands.

This: http://intellexual.net/bose.html article is still relevant today. Bose is pure junk and no one would should buy their products. I recently had a car salesman try to push a car with a Bose audio system as a perk. I asked him if he'd knock money off because of the junk audio system pre-installed and he stormed off.

Bose is pure, unadulterated junk.

No. You are wrong. You were born wrong. Lived wrong. And I am trying to save you from dying wrong!

I'm a huge audiophile. I owned every "good" headphone on the planet.

Comparing the three listed, Bose beats all of them in sound quality. This is from expericing listening to a wide range of music. The QC15 always sounded better and were ALWAYS most comfortable. How about you buy all three headphones and try it yourself for half a year. Because that's what I did. Bose was best in that case.

HOWEVER!

If you want audiophile quality and portability, I suggest you get what I have:

Denon D7000
NuForce Icon iDo DAC
FLAC Player app

----------

It may just be your opinion but:
I've never read so much BS in one post before.

Nah. You just don't know anything.

----------

Wow, you seriously have no idea what you're talking about. Sennheiser are one of the most respected headphone companies in the world and produce some of the best headphones, ask any audiophile. Bose are no different to beats overpriced crap, the only thing they have going for them is their marketing and a good example of that is the statement you just made.

You're poor.

Poor people buy Sennheiser.

People with strong taste and wealth listen to true audiophile quality: Dennon D7000 w/ DAC & FLAC audio.

----------

Invested in? Invested in... I think what you mean is their Agents/producers/labels use them to market certain sounds and certain products to certain demographics... which makes me wonder if Jimmy is also the man behind this...

When you're famous your fame is a currency in itself.

Dr Dre may not have invented the "Beats" brand but he put his name on it. And if the product flopped, he flopped.

One cannot exist without the other. It's like Woz and Jobs. Engineering and Marketing.

One thing I'd like to add is that Beats has the best build quality you'll find in any cheap headphones (under $500).

Monster did a fantastic job with that. It compares to the build quality of my Denon D7000s which cost me $1K.

Last edited:

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
And incredibly bad headphones that have been marketed brilliantly.

disappointed to see apple partnering with beats...
I often see what I assume are beat rip offs on craig's list, and can't help but thinking the knock offs must sound more accurate that the genuine beats.

meanwhile - companies that do it right - Grado - sell superior product at a fraction of the price, and are nearly unknown.

Last edited:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I call BS.

Now that Jobs is dead, you're going to see allot of people coming out and saying, "I told Steve to do this and I told Steve to do that." etc. etc.

Iovine is a business man. If he had such an awesome idea, he'd have kept it and tried to develop it himself. IMO.

He certainly saw the business opportunity to involve himself with a overpriced, mediocre product like Beats.

Umm, he is developing it and should be out sometime this year.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-subscription-service-20130110,0,305852.story

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
No. You are wrong. You were born wrong. Lived wrong. And I am trying to save you from dying wrong!

I'm a huge audiophile. I owned every "good" headphone on the planet.

Comparing the three listed, Bose beats all of them in sound quality. This is from expericing listening to a wide range of music. The QC15 always sounded better and were ALWAYS most comfortable. How about you buy all three headphones and try it yourself for half a year. Because that's what I did. Bose was best in that case.

The claim of "huge audiophile" and being pro-bose are not compatible! :)

I'd normally not bother to respond, bu your obnoxious 'born wrong, live wrong' to fellow poster indicate you yourself are in need of some education.

Bose has partly hung on to some of there former value in the noise reduction technology presently used in cans for flying businessmen - I will give you that. But otherwise, bose is a over hyped (but super well marketed, they got you hook line and sinker after all) bottom feeder in the audio business.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
The claim of "huge audiophile" and being pro-bose are not compatible! :)

I'd normally not bother to respond, bu your obnoxious 'born wrong, live wrong' to fellow poster indicate you yourself are in need of some education.

Bose has partly hung on to some of there former value in the noise reduction technology presently used in cans for flying businessmen - I will give you that. But otherwise, bose is a over hyped (but super well marketed, they got you hook line and sinker after all) bottom feeder in the audio business.

Nope. You're wrong too.

Compare the QC15 to Beats and Sennheisers with the same price tag, and the QC15 will sound and feel better. It's also about comfort. When you listen to music for a long time you don't want the blood in your head to boil (heat generation) or your ears crushed by crappy cushions.

I factored everything in. The complete experience down to the frequencies that are pumped into your ears. Bose, between three in its class, wins.

Educate yourself. I can crush you with the flick of a wit.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
I think it's funny that so many people are bashing on Beats products, it's like everyone hates this product for some reason... Frustrated much? :)

I think it is frustration...
This of it like this, hypothetically... If people began to evangelize eMachines over Macs because eMachines came out with super marketing.

You'd be frustrated too if you saw your friends (and forum buddies) falling hook, line and sinker for the marketing hype and buying trash product as a result.

Ironically, this example turned out weird, because Apple is a super marketer too, it's just fortunate that they also make great product!

----------

I wanted to reply to give you the satisfaction of knowing that I read your reply; because I doubt you have much else satisfying in your sorry little life. And I'm all about making you as happy as possible.

Nope. You're wrong too.

Compare the QC15 to Beats and Sennheisers with the same price tag, and the QC15 will sound better. It's also about comfort. When you listen to music for a long time you don't want the blood in your head to boil or your ears crushed by crappy cushions.

I factored everything in. The complete experience down to the frequencies that are pumped into your ears. Bose, between three in its class, wins.

Educate yourself. I can crush you with the flick of a wit.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I think it is frustration...
This of it like this, hypothetically... If people began to evangelize eMachines over Macs because eMachines came out with super marketing.

You'd be frustrated too if you saw your friends (and forum buddies) falling hook, line and sinker for the marketing hype and buying trash product as a result.

Ironically, this example turned out weird, because Apple is a super marketer too, it's just fortunate that they also make great product!

----------

I wanted to reply to give you the satisfaction of knowing that I read your reply; because I doubt you have much else satisfying in your sorry little life. And I'm all about making you as happy as possible.

Keep rolling down the clueless road buddy!

bazinga!!

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Belgium
They make really bad products. It's just that simple.

Not frustrated much at all. Just pointing out an inferior product and taking a stand against the propaganda machine promoting this hype.

Rappers don't even make quality music. Why should we trust them to make good products ?

Sorry "Dr." Dre ....But you didn't even pass MIDDLE SCHOOL , much less high school or college. Why exactly would I trust you to produce anything of quality ? ? ?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Jesus Christ, where do I even begin?

It doesn't ****ing matter if Dre passed middle school or not because he is an extremely successful businessman and rapper, he accomplished more than you probably ever will. And if he wants to call himself Dr.Dre, so what? This isn't a topic about artist names.
You're also stating that rappers don't even make quality music... That's a little bit childish, don't you think?
I even wonder if you ever tried Beats headphones, they are not that inferior to whatever headphones you get for the same price, but I guess it's easy to bash on something you don't even know, because... you're bored?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.