Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Locke S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
I am trying to set the settings to high in the Civ 5 menu, but all I get is a memory error. The game resets itself medium low. I checked the Config.ini but i can't see anything that is useful. All I think at the moment is that the game does not recognize the GTX680MX but only the HD4000. (VRAM is set to 250mb...)

Anyone got useful tips?

Thx!

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
I am trying to set the settings to high in the Civ 5 menu, but all I get is a memory error. The game resets itself medium low. I checked the Config.ini but i can't see anything that is useful. All I think at the moment is that the game does not recognize the GTX680MX but only the HD4000. (VRAM is set to 250mb...)

Anyone got useful tips?

Thx!

Got the proper drivers installed?

EDIT: Or is this in OS X?

FluffyPop

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
I had the same problem, the OS X version doesn't seem to work. I gave up and played on windows.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
i bought this game for dirt cheap on steam
i hope it runs great on OSX
but now there seems to be problems:eek::eek:

Jindra12

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Yeah I have a same problem. I downloaded CIV V through iTune.

I believe we all should write an email to 2k or whoever made the game to release a new patch to fix this error. I don't think it will take lots of their time to fix it.

Can someone provide a link to write an email to them, please?

squan

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
Damn it, CIV 5 was supposed to be the first mac game I'd buy. Not good news.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Damn it, CIV 5 was supposed to be the first mac game I'd buy. Not good news.

Aspyr is right in the middle of a patch. Probably a good chance this is a bug they're working on. It's a good game and ran at least half-decently on my 2007 model (as long as you don't mind "fog of war" = "gray hexes").

----------

Anyone got useful tips?

Thx!

support.aspyr.com. There might be something wrong with the game's config, or your Mac's PRAM, or something.

squan

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
Aspyr is right in the middle of a patch. Probably a good chance this is a bug they're working on. It's a good game and ran at least half-decently on my 2007 model (as long as you don't mind "fog of war" = "gray hexes").

Allright, good to know. Seems like the game is sensitive to bugs in general though. Had a friend whose copy just started lagging insanely out of nowhere. Windows version that is.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Allright, good to know. Seems like the game is sensitive to bugs in general though. Had a friend whose copy just started lagging insanely out of nowhere. Windows version that is.

Yeah, there was a UI responsiveness bug that was fixed. 2K/Firaxis released it sometime before it was ready..

It's been stable up until recently though. The PC version is in a good place right now (after they released a hot fix to cover stuff the previous patch broke). The Mac version is in the middle of implementing the PC patch+hot fix and working out some Nvidia bugs.

squan

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
Although it's good that they're adressing the issues, I really wish we could go back to the days where you buy a game and it works straight out of the box.

The internet destroyed that for good though.

Locke S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Thx all,

Good to know that i am not the only one. Hope that the upcoming Hotfix patch will help. I still think that they are not supporting the 680MX. Windows version runs extremely well. But these are the type of games I prefer in OS x

MetzoPaino

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
I've played many Civ V games on my iMac with a GTX680MX card and it runs great on the highest settings for everything. I'm not bootcamping either.

Eventually turns begin to take a very long time, but that happens on all the computers because there are so many systems going on in the late game.

Just quick save regularly, I've found Steam on Mac is a little glitchy and will occasionally crash, and when it does it takes Civ V with it.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
It's both. Lots of pointless eye candy that's extremely hard on the GPU.

It also seems to be the result of a very bad port and probably some bad programming originally.

On my 2011 15" MBP it runs terribly after about 50 turns. When running it in Boot Camp it definitely slows around turn 50, but not to the point where I can make a cup of coffee between turns like it would in MacOS X.

On a slightly different note, I've not met anyone who was able to complete a multiplayer game without losing a connection at least once. And the Civopedia is gone. :(

Grockel

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Devon, UK
This was also going to be my first game, on my first mac.....under OSX....sounds like its worth waiting for the patch to be issued,

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
This was also going to be my first game, on my first mac.....under OSX....sounds like its worth waiting for the patch to be issued,

What would have been better is grabbing it for 75% off in the Steam sale...
:)

lospallos

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
My civ5 crashed all the time, but when i change leaders from medium to low (or high to medium) then it stop to crash.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
What would have been better is grabbing it for 75% off in the Steam sale...
:)

i got it on steam for one hell of a deal and i got all the expansions for it
i wanna play it on my first imac ever
these problems hopefully get resolved by the time my imac gets here

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
It won't because Steam version is Windows-only. There is OSX version available in AppStore but the one you bought for Steam can only run in Windows.

Incorrect. There is a "Campaign Edition" with no internet multiplayer in the App Store, but the full version for OS X is also in Steam and can play online multiplayer with other Mac users, and with other PC users so long as the versions are in sync (about 50-75% of the time). And it's licensed under SteamPlay, so your payment for the OS X version gets you access to the Windows version and vice versa.

----------

I know...I was sat there waiting for my iMac to arrive so I could download it.

Let's just hope the offers come round again.

Nothing stopping you from paying for the game and downloading it later. I was buying Steam Sale stuff off the iPhone app without even owning a computer that could download it yet.

Usually the big sales are twice/year, so ~July for the next one.

Nihilius

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Incorrect. There is a "Campaign Edition" with no internet multiplayer in the App Store, but the full version for OS X is also in Steam and can play online multiplayer with other Mac users, and with other PC users so long as the versions are in sync (about 50-75% of the time). And it's licensed under SteamPlay, so your payment for the OS X version gets you access to the Windows version and vice versa.

Someone already quoted before I noticed my mistake...

Yes I just confirmed and Steam version DOES support OSX as well. Sorry about misinformation

However you should still run game under Bootcamp for best performance. If my mid-2011 iMac runs the game well in Windows, 2012 iMac should perform even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.