Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White today released a new report highlighting some of his observations from this week's CES in Las Vegas, noting that "checks" at the show suggest that Apple is looking to launch the next-generation versions of the iPad and iPad mini in March.
Our checks at CES indicate Apple will release the iPad 5 and the second-generation iPad mini this March. The iPad 5 is expected to be lighter and thinner than the iPad 4 that was released in October, while the form factor of the iPad mini should be similar to the first generation iPad mini that debuted in October.
White's comments are in line with a previous report from Japanese blog Mac Otakara which claimed that a thinner and lighter fifth-generation iPad will be launching in March. RBC analyst Doug Freedman had also claimed that Apple was accelerating its plans for the second-generation iPad mini.

ipad_ipad_mini_hand.jpg

Apple has historically stuck to roughly year-long update cycles for its iOS devices, but the company surprised many observers by launching the fourth-generation iPad in October, just seven months after the debut of the third-generation model. It is unclear whether that shorter interval is the start of a trend for Apple, as it may simply have been a one-time event due to Apple's move to the new Lightning connector.

There have, however, been growing rumors of shorter update cycles being part of a new strategy for Apple as it seeks to remain competitive in the fast-moving mobile device market and smooth out its sales somewhat throughout the year.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPad and iPad Mini Rumored for March Launch

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
they will lose so many customers if they keep releasing ipads every 5-6 months until now you knew your device would atleast be the newest for atleast 1 year.... now this just sucks

tonyshaker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
What!!!!!

There just milking people for there money i have just got my ipad 4 about 6 weeks ago and now its going to be outdated by apples new ipads its just getting to much and to stupid to keep realising new ipads with out any major change so what ipad 4 is twice as fast as ipad 3 it doesnt matter no app uses all of the ipad 4 processor power.

cky880

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
If this is going to happen, I think the big question will be: Will the iPad Mini move to Retina so soon?

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
There just milking people for there money i have just got my ipad 4 about 6 weeks ago and now its going to be outdated by apples new iapds its just getting to much and to stupid to keep realising new ipads with out any major change so what ipad 4 is twice as fast as ipad 3 it doesnt manter no app uses all of the ipad 4 processor power.

Yeah, you should probably switch to Android tablets. They only release one of those per year.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
There just milking people for there money i have just got my ipad 4 about 6 weeks ago and now its going to be outdated by apples new ipads its just getting to much and to stupid to keep realising new ipads with out any major change so what ipad 4 is twice as fast as ipad 3 it doesnt manter no app uses all of the ipad 4 processor power.

And yet you bought an ipad 4? No one forces you to buy the newest one each time.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
The fourth gen isn't even 3 months old is it?

Why's the buyers guide saying to buy now? What the?

I know there's always going to be something better around the corner but this is crazy.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Very cool. I wonder if the next iPad will be redesigned in some way--other than being thinner. If the only improvement is quicker charging times, that alone is a big upgrade for me. Other than that, I'm not sure what other hardware improvements they could make. I bought an iPad 3 and think that's pretty advanced.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
they will lose so many customers if they keep releasing ipads every 5-6 months until now you knew your device would atleast be the newest for atleast 1 year.... now this just sucks

And why does it suck? Because of jealousy?

Do you really have to be the kid on top of the hill all the time with the coolest gadget? Is that what iDevices are all about? Image.

You should really take a moment and think about just what is so bad about a fast product refresh.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
For ages people have been saying Apple's yearly cycle couldn't compete with the constant barrage of new Android phones and tablets.

Apple seems to have responded (although not as far as the iPhone is concerned - possibly due to them primarily being sold on contract?)

I'm not sure it's a good move. It's better to release when you have something great worth releasing, not when the planet reaches some arbitrary position around the Sun. Maybe Apple do have something genuinely worth a new iPad model.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
If the new iPad Mini doesn't have a retina display, Apple shouldn't even bother making it.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
And why does it suck? Because of jealousy?

Do you really have to be the kid on top of the hill all the time with the coolest gadget? Is that what iDevices are all about? Image.

You should really take a moment and think about just what is so bad about a fast product refresh.
Well, the iPad 4 isn't even three months old. I know Apple's always going to update.

SoApple

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
The article mentions " while the form factor of the iPad mini should be similar to the first generation iPad mini that debuted in October".

I hope that includes retina display , it's pretty much an automatic buy for me!

trevorde

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Too little, too late (again)

The first iPad Mini was too little, too late. This is just playing catch up - again.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Something is pushing this upset in Apple's release cycle. I stick with 12-18 months. Then again pay more attention to Intel, AMD, and nVidia's schedules.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.