Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItsDelgado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Well I've never made an app before, i've made websites and I catch on very quickly with anything. I want to make a card game, like poker, but a 7 card version, where the user must drop cards as they go. Would this be difficult? It would be to play against a computer. And hopefully in the future, playing against others. I would certainly take much time making this, I am a perfectionist. So I would be copyrighting the game.

Questions:
Is that a hard app to make?
Is adding online playability hard?
Must you buy programs to make the app?
Do you use multiple programs to make an app?

ItsDelgado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Thank you. :) I will begin studying.

----------

Do I need a Mac to make the app?

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
I got one question for you guys... I'm a graphical designer and I got experience with Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, HTML, CSS and I can read PHP but not write.

The only 'big' thing left is to learn real scripting languages like PHP, Objective-C, Java and stuff like that. I'm a big Apple fan, and I really want to become an app developer.

For some reason I cannot learn everyday 10 pages of scripting.
How do you guys do learn this? It is so hard for me to get stamp those languages in my brains... Do you guys have some tips?

Thanks!

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I really suggest this book:

Programming in objective c by Stephen Kochan

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-Stephen-Kochan/dp/0672325861

I really only knew the basics of java and visual basic. It helped me get objective c down and from there I read head first iphone programming.

Honestly I am not the best programmer out there but it taught me what I needed to know and since then I have created 11 apps all of which have made it to the top 200+ in their category 2 reaching as high as 10th in their categories.

While it takes more than just programming such as market intelligence and design, you surely cannot do it without programming.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
If you can keep up with Objective C as a book to start with then great. I could not wrap my head around it. I then stepped back and learned C and wrote some basic programs in C. Then when I got a pretty good handle on C, and wrote some small programs with it, I stepped back in to Objective C with sucess.

My friend is reading the Big Nerd Ranch on Objective C and they start with C but it is a crash course and she has tons of basic questions. I learned from "Learn C on the Mac".

Last, don't rush yourself. If you are in a hurry to get an app out you will fail. I have seen a number of posters here that move to fast and don't grasp the concept before the move on leading to more confusion down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.