Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I have followed a guide and backed up my iMac to my External HD a month or so ago when I got my iMac. I don't have it hooked up to my machine constantly, so I want to do a manual backup.

Do I just run the Carbon Copy Cloner the same way again and it'll back up only whats needed? Is there any settings I need to know about?

Thx

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have followed a guide and backed up my iMac to my External HD a month or so ago when I got my iMac. I don't have it hooked up to my machine constantly, so I want to do a manual backup.

Do I just run the Carbon Copy Cloner the same way again and it'll back up only whats needed? Is there any settings I need to know about?

Thx

Yes, just run it again the same way by selecting Macintosh HD on the left and your external on the right and run. What it will do it compare files and only move over files that are new or changed since last time. It will be much quicker than the first time you did this.

Once you get the selections made, you can click "schedule task" to save those settings so you don't have to reenter then next time.

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
Once you get the selections made, you can click "schedule task" to save those settings so you don't have to reenter then next time.

When you create and schedule a task you can then select "Manually when I Click RUN" from the drop down menu Run This Task within the Backup Task Scheduler Window. Then save the task and when you want to run that particular task you got into CCC Scheduled Tasks Window and select the task and click run at the bottom of the list of task.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Yes, just run it again the same way by selecting Macintosh HD on the left and your external on the right and run. What it will do it compare files and only move over files that are new or changed since last time. It will be much quicker than the first time you did this.

When you create and schedule a task you can then select "Manually when I Click RUN" from the drop down menu Run This Task within the Backup Task Scheduler Window. Then save the task and when you want to run that particular task you got into CCC Scheduled Tasks Window and select the task and click run at the bottom of the list of task.
Thanks guys!!

So skyenet as you can see here I'm doing it correctly, right? No need to click "Clone" as well over on the right window? It is already doing the Backup task I want it to?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 12.49.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 12.49.25 PM.png
    968.3 KB · Views: 118

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks guys!!

So skyenet as you can see here I'm doing it correctly, right? No need to click "Clone" as well over on the right window? It is already doing the Backup task I want it to?

Correct. Just open the task and select the task you want then click "run" in that same task window and it will do what you want next time.

You can also make it even easier. Change the task to the settings in my screenshot and save it, then whenever you plug in that external drive CCC will auto start and ask you if is it okay to proceed with the clone... and you just click okay. This avoids having to manually launch CCC and go to the schedule tasks window altogether.

XaZly.png

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Correct. Just open the task and select the task you want then click "run" in that same task window and it will do what you want next time.

You can also make it even easier. Change the task to the settings in my screenshot and save it, then whenever you plug in that external drive CCC will auto start and ask you if is it okay to proceed with the clone... and you just click okay. This avoids having to manually launch CCC and go to the schedule tasks window altogether.

XaZly.png

Awesome, thanks Weaselboy!!

I just set mine up like yours, ejected my drive then plugged it back in to test. Sure enough it automatically asked me if I wanted to "Backup" :D:cool:

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012

But does CCC remove files/apps etc on the destination to become consistent with the source?

I've always used the "temporary archive modified and deleted files" but maybe I should select "DELETE anything that doesn't exist on the source"?

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
But does CCC remove files/apps etc on the destination to become consistent with the source?

Yes, you can set whether you want it to do that (delete files on the External that were deleted from the source) which is what I set mine to, or it can archive all the stuff you deleted from your original source. It really is awesome software definitely worth the price tag.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Yes, you can set whether you want it to do that (delete files on the External that were deleted from the source) which is what I set mine to, or it can archive all the stuff you deleted from your original source. It really is awesome software definitely worth the price tag.

Thanks, I will change it to delete files on the External that were deleted from the source, because I want the backup image exactly like the source.

I am using the free version on Snow Leopard. Why did you pay for it?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks, I will change it to delete files on the External that were deleted from the source, because I want the backup image exactly like the source.

Be careful. Inadvertent deletion is one of the most common methods of losing data. Having your backup "forget" versions... no longer protects from these errors.

Why not? It is worth it. Developers need to get paid if we want good software.

/Jim

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Be careful. Inadvertent deletion is one of the most common methods of losing data. Having your backup "forget" versions... no longer protects from these errors....

What do you mean Jim? Please elborate and explain what option I should be using and why?:eek:

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
What do you mean Jim? Please elborate and explain what option I should be using and why?:eek:

One of the most important features of a backup system (some feel it is the most important feature) is versioning. It allows you to go back in time to get older versions of files... or files that have been deleted.

I have a spreadsheet that I update several times per week. Let's say that I go in and edit it... and make a fatal error. Without versioning... once I save that document, and it is backed up. I cannot revert to a known "pre-error" version of that spreadsheet. Likewise... if I delete an important file (or a folder full of important files)... it is important that I can go back a day, week, month, or year and get it back.

Without versioning... you are screwed.

CCC does allow you save old files. I am not crazy about the interface. I prefer to use TM and Crashplan because they have rich versioning control. I use CCC to make a third "manual" backup of my media periodically. For that, versioning is secondary.

/Jim

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

The dev deserves it thats why and I'll have updates for life.

FFabian

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Bochum, Germany
Is there a similar backup solution for Windows/Bootcamp? I'd like to backup my bootcamp partition - time machine is useless for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.