Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I would be willing to bet they're not the exact same panel, and if they are, something with the fused display is causing these panels to have some less-than-stellar problems.

And fyi, I noticed the orange/yellow color-cast (especially on whites) at off angles on my retina-display MacBook Pro 13". I seriously think these IPS panels have been downgraded somewhere, intentionally or otherwise.

When i said im not 100% sure i really meant to say im almost certain they are the same panel ;) The yellow tint issue has been present in all the LED and even the LCD iMacs, some some units didn't have it and others did, you have a bad unit as my 27" is perfect and has NO Yellow tinting whatsoever.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Last night I bought a 27-inch Cinema Display to use with my Dell, and it had horrible image retention. It was much worse than the iMac that I returned.

So, today I took the Cinema Display back, and while I was in the store I looked at a new 27-inch iMac on display, and it also had horrible image retention. It was very strong and across the entire screen. The iMac I returned was only across the bottom and the right side.

I'm starting to believe that having image retention is the rule and having an IPS screen without it is the exception. The one I returned looked much better than the one on display.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Last night I bought a 27-inch Cinema Display to use with my Dell, and it had horrible image retention. It was much worse than the iMac that I returned.

So, today I took the Cinema Display back, and while I was in the store I looked at a new 27-inch iMac on display, and it also had horrible image retention. It was very strong and across the entire screen. The iMac I returned was only across the bottom and the right side.

I'm starting to believe that having image retention is the rule and having an IPS screen without it is the exception. The one I returned looked much better than the one on display.
did you return the cinema display for another one? if you did hows the retention on that one.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
did you return the cinema display for another one? if you did hows the retention on that one.

No. It just felt ancient and too glossy after having the iMac. I returned the Dell as well today and may try another iMac. If they had them available in the store, I wouldn't hesitate to get another iMac. I just dread having to wait weeks for a replacement if I get another and it has a problem.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Wow, just found this thread. I don't own a new 27" 2012 iMac but I do own the retina Macbook pro and it too has image retention. It was perfect for 6 months then this December it showed up.

From what I have found online, image retention seems to be a common phenomenon with IPS displays as said by others here. Some panels are better than others though.

I also read that you cannot turn your Mac off to rid of the IR if its appears. It needs to be bleed off by a screen saver, movie or another image.

It will be interesting to see if the 2nd generation of these new 5mm thin edge panels have image retention.

So we have IR in iPAD, cinema displays, 13" & 15" retina macbook pros and now the 27" iMacs.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
Wow, just found this thread. I don't own a new 27" 2012 iMac but I do own the retina Macbook pro and it too has image retention. It was perfect for 6 months then this December it showed up.

From what I have found online, image retention seems to be a common phenomenon with IPS displays as said by others here. Some panels are better than others though.

I also read that you cannot turn your Mac off to rid of the IR if its appears. It needs to be bleed off by a screen saver, movie or another image.

It will be interesting to see if the 2nd generation of these new 5mm thin edge panels have image retention.

So we have IR in iPAD, cinema displays, 13" & 15" retina macbook pros and now the 27" iMacs.

ok heres my input, i also have the retention slightly,i dont need to do the test, if i leave the finder window for example open for about 25 minutes it sets in and then itll go away after a few minutes...not sure what to do about it either, but quite frankly i paid over 4k for mine and i dont think that should be something i should have to "settle" for no matter how slight it is...i dont notice the dock or title bar retention as some others are saying though....i also want to say that most people who claim they dont have it are probabally not testing their screen properly and dont know what it really is to begin with, you have to leave an image in place and not move it for atleast 25 minutes before you see it, atleast in my case anyway....one more update as well...ive noticed as i use two tb displays connected to the iMac and i usually keep all my programs up and running in their own small windows at once, (for ex. ill have the finder,system preferences,activity monitor, iTunes,mail, firefox, etc. all up and running in their own small windows between my three screens so that i can click on them whenever needed, rather than having to open them up individually... I think the extra strain on the system sets it in quicker because if i close them all down it doesnt happen as readily...

Last edited:

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
ok heres my input, i also have the retention slightly,i dont need to do the test, if i leave the finder window for example open for about 25 minutes it sets in and then itll go away after a few minutes...not sure what to do about it either, but quite frankly i paid over 4k for mine and i dont think that should be something i should have to "settle" for no matter how slight it is...i dont notice the dock or title bar retention as some others are saying though....i also want to say that most people who claim they dont have it are probabally not testing their screen properly and dont know what it really is to begin with, you have to leave an image in place and not move it for atleast 25 minutes before you see it, atleast in my case anyway....one more update as well...ive noticed as i use two tb displays connected to the iMac and i usually keep all my programs up and running in their own small windows at once, (for ex. ill have the finder,system preferences,activity monitor, iTunes,mail, firefox, etc. all up and running in their own small windows between my three screens so that i can click on them whenever needed, rather than having to open them up individually... I think the extra strain on the system sets it in quicker because if i close them all down it doesnt happen as readily...

Hi Bill, sorry to hear that you are also a victim of a faulty LCD. Not all LCDs that Apple ship have IR. You should take your iMac back to Apple for replacement or repair. The IR will get worse with time as has been the case in the other more lengthy IR support threads on the web. Hoping that more and more people test their iMac and or speak up about their findings. If we can see that it's only a hand full of people with IR...then your case is even stronger for a replacement or repair. If the problem is widespread like with the MacBook Pro Retina, then the repair will become more complicated as Apple is now testing it on their own with a weak test. Keep us up to date and please help us to encourage others to test...and post.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I've been using mine for about 2 weeks now. I use Safari pretty heavily. The window stays in the same spot and the window is large enough to have white borders on the screen constantly. I've checked several times and I don't have an image retention problem. Here's hoping I don't develop one.

Perhaps it's certain LCD manufacturers that have the problem (not sure if Apple uses multiple sources for the iMac like they do for the MacBooks). I would vote you have a faulty display if you have a problem with image retention.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
Hi Bill, sorry to hear that you are also a victim of a faulty LCD. Not all LCDs that Apple ship have IR. You should take your iMac back to Apple for replacement or repair. The IR will get worse with time as has been the case in the other more lengthy IR support threads on the web. Hoping that more and more people test their iMac and or speak up about their findings. If we can see that it's only a hand full of people with IR...then your case is even stronger for a replacement or repair. If the problem is widespread like with the MacBook Pro Retina, then the repair will become more complicated as Apple is now testing it on their own with a weak test. Keep us up to date and please help us to encourage others to test...and post.

i will, but heres my conondrum, apparently theirs not two separate screen manufacturers on the imac as there were on the rmbp ( lg and samsung), i believe their all lg are they not? If thats the case then its like playing the lottery, i could get one worse or better...and then have to bring that back..Are there any known things apple does to fix this or do they just give you a new one and hope it doesnt do it? Whats funny is if you go to their website, ill try and find the link but they claim that a certain amount of ir is normal with these types of screens..sounds like a bunch of bs to me

----------

i will, but heres my conondrum, apparently theirs not two separate screen manufacturers on the imac as there were on the rmbp ( lg and samsung), i believe their all lg are they not? If thats the case then its like playing the lottery, i could get one worse or better...and then have to bring that back..Are there any known things apple does to fix this or do they just give you a new one and hope it doesnt do it? Whats funny is if you go to their website, ill try and find the link but they claim that a certain amount of ir is normal with these types of screens..sounds like a bunch of bs to me

i should also say that i just installed 32gb corsair ram and i didnt notice it up until that point.....do you know if extra ram would have anything to do with ir? I cant see how?

----------

i should also say that i just installed 32gb corsair ram and i didnt notice it up until that point.....do you know if extra ram would have anything to do with ir? I cant see how?

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok

----------

It is BS. It's Apple's way of pushing an unacceptable situation on you as a consumer. They are all LG and from what I have read, the same LCD that was used last year, albeit glued to the glass this time. From what I have read, the 2011 iMac did not have a big IR problem. The 2011 iMacs I tested did not have them. So if you have IR, then I would say you have a bad LCD and it's worth getting a replacement.

We just need more people to post their findings so we can find out if this is a wide spread issue or limited to a small % of the LCDs shipping with the 27 inch iMac. Lets hope it's the later...

iWaiting

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
what you need to know is that if all the members posted on here of a problem it would only represent about 0.01% of the total users on the big ball ( earth )

so to try and say if its a problem is useless only people who have/think they have a problem will post anyway

just look at the delivery spreadsheet its got what about 300 entries is that a valid sample of the new iMac deliveries when Apple ship more that that a day

unless you can tap into Apples repair/replacement data base you will never be able to get a true picture

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
It is BS. It's Apple's way of pushing an unacceptable situation on you as a consumer. They are all LG and from what I have read, the same LCD that was used last year, albeit glued to the glass this time. From what I have read, the 2011 iMac did not have a big IR problem. The 2011 iMacs I tested did not have them. So if you have IR, then I would say you have a bad LCD and it's worth getting a replacement.

We just need more people to post their findings so we can find out if this is a wide spread issue or limited to a small % of the LCDs shipping with the 27 inch iMac. Lets hope it's the later...

yea i have a 2011 imac and a i also have two tb displays, neither one has ever had the slightest ir..and yes its the same exact screen, they just glued it to the display instead, you can no longer see the gap, but thats about it

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

I call it a design issue if anything. Any design needs to accommodate known variations in the sourced parts. With the possible exception of the rMBP LG is the only panel brand I've seen in IPS desktop displays in recent years. I think Panasonic makes a few for televisions, but if you're purchasing a desktop IPS display, count on the use of an LG panel. Even several years ago the displays that used other panel brands were extremely expensive. If you spent $1-3k on a 21" display, it probably used a different brand. Otherwise it was LG back then too (possibly labeled Phillips LG).

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
Here is mine,

Only happens when machine is 'warm'. Its been hot here the last few days and much more noticeable.

A few weeks went by with no retention when it was cooler.

You can clearly read the text in the retained image...

goaot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
Here is mine,

Only happens when machine is 'warm'. Its been hot here the last few days and much more noticeable.

A few weeks went by with no retention when it was cooler.

You can clearly read the text in the retained image...

wow! have you brought it in yet?

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
Disturbing image...

how long do you have to leave your window up to replicate that?

honestly though to spend thousands of dollars of your hard earned money on a cpu, then have to wait 6 weeks to get it and see that is just unacceptable...Dont tell me theres not a way for them to test this at the factory in 5 minutes before shipping it out...Im sure there is and you know why they don't? because people wll just believe their bs on their page about how a certain amount of ir is normal in an ips display..lol what a joke, think about that, if thats normal then maybe you shouldnt be producing ips displays until it becomes abnormal u ******* retards

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
how long do you have to leave your window up to replicate that?

honestly though to spend thousands of dollars of your hard earned money on a cpu, then have to wait 6 weeks to get it and see that is just unacceptable...Dont tell me theres not a way for them to test this at the factory in 5 minutes before shipping it out...Im sure there is and you know why they don't? because people wll just believe their bs on their page about how a certain amount of ir is normal in an ips display..lol what a joke, think about that, if thats normal then maybe you shouldnt be producing ips displays until it becomes abnormal u ******* retards

Hi Bill, like many people I am still waiting for my iMac to be delivered. The reason i am so concerned and aware of the IR issue is the 426+ page MBPr thread here As soon as mine arrives, I will be testing, posting, and very involved.

Apple has been deleting posts in the thread, most worrying resetting the stats, and basically trying to hide their problem from the world.

IR is only a problem with LG displays (within the scope of MBPr's) as far as we can see on that thread. There are thousands of people who have given their time to help others, and Apple is now only using Samsung LCDs to repair MBPr's with IR. So even Apple quietly acknowledges the problem is with the LG LCDs.

I have tested iMacs and Thunderbolt displays at stores and have not found any IR. So if you have having some IR, you should take it right back to Apple. I don't think this situation is the same as the MBPr one... as the LCDs are both from LG, but different technology.

Apple should have better QC as they outsource so many components...its Jaguar back in the 80s, beautiful car, amazing design, but frankenstiened together and a QC nightmare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Corp They were Goldstar and changed, their name. Remember Goldstar?

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
Hi Bill, like many people I am still waiting for my iMac to be delivered. The reason i am so concerned and aware of the IR issue is the 426+ page MBPr thread here As soon as mine arrives, I will be testing, posting, and very involved.

Apple has been deleting posts in the thread, most worrying resetting the stats, and basically trying to hide their problem from the world.

IR is only a problem with LG displays (within the scope of MBPr's) as far as we can see on that thread. There are thousands of people who have given their time to help others, and Apple is now only using Samsung LCDs to repair MBPr's with IR. So even Apple quietly acknowledges the problem is with the LG LCDs.

I have tested iMacs and Thunderbolt displays at stores and have not found any IR. So if you have having some IR, you should take it right back to Apple. I don't think this situation is the same as the MBPr one... as the LCDs are both from LG, but different technology.

Apple should have better QC as they outsource so many components...its Jaguar back in the 80s, beautiful car, amazing design, but frankenstiened together and a QC nightmare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Corp They were Goldstar and changed, their name. Remember Goldstar?
yes good points man, im doing a quick pram and smc reset and then gonna try reinstalling osx just to see if that helps anything, if not im sending it back and im gonna keep sending it back until i get one that doest do it..like i said 4 thousand bux i spent on this thing, i dont think im asking too much..im with you on this one man

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
ok so i have some pretty interesting findings to report, ive been up all night trying things out for my iMacs ir...i decided to reset the pram first, didnt seem to do anything, reset the smc...nothing at all, i then reformatted my ssd and reinstalled osx completely...Just did a test for 20 minutes straight and no ir. with resoloution set to full...when i was experiencing ir i had it on 1600x900 (because i like the size of the icons that way), so now im in the process of testing the ir in the 1600x900 resoloution setting and ill report back my findings. but as of right now it seems like a complete reformatting of the drive and osx install fixed the problem ........but well see....keep you guys posted but if your about to bring your imac back or have them opening it up and putting their grubby hands all over your new machine to attempt to fix it, then id atleast give what i said a chance beore you do all that...what do you got to lose? just back up all your data first

----------

what resoloution are you all using when experiencing ir?

Last edited:

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012

make sure you read those posts i put up...do you have another cpu that has ir on it now or your just waiting for your new iMac? well when you get yours and if it does have ir id advise you to atleast go through the steps i layed out and just did myself because it cleared up my ir issue...Ive had an image up for 30 minutes straight and no ir yet....it was producing in under ten before i reformatted the drive and reinstalled osx...now i dont know why that should of been a problem considering it was brand new but all i know is i did that and it seemed to fix the problem...atleast in my case...if and when it comes back i will be sure to update you

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
ok update...still have the ir on 1600x900 resolution settings, but when switched to the highest resoloution i have no ir whatsoever...so maybe the osx install does nothing, id say any of you guys with this problem check your resoloution settings and try it on a different setting and see how that works for you

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
ok update...still have the ir on 1600x900 resolution settings, but when switched to the highest resoloution i have no ir whatsoever...so maybe the osx install does nothing, id say any of you guys with this problem check your resoloution settings and try it on a different setting and see how that works for you

No matter what resolution I use on my retina macbook pro I still get it. I'm reluctant to get Apple care because I'm in a remote area and haven't been helped yet. Here in Canada you cannot send in your machine for repair past the 14 day return policy. I have been to two licensed Apple techs and they both say my macbook tested fine.

My next option is to continue talking to an apple supervisor on the phone when he returns tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a new one sent to me but I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Mine was happening under Windows as well, so I don't think the OS or resolution has anything to do with it. At first I thought it might be heat related, but I no longer believe that because I've seen it happen on an Apple Cinema Display that was still cold from it being in my car. I brought it in the house and immediately tested it for image retention using the marco test.

After reading forums, it seems like every monitor that uses an LG panel has a chance to have image retention. It seems to me that it truly is a lottery. Even the 27" Dell Ultrasharp has complaints about image retention, yellow screens, and backlight bleeding. The Samsung PLS monitors seem to not suffer from image retention, but have horrible backlight bleeding at the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.