Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
MetroPCS will merge with T-Mobile in a few months and will likely carry the iPhone. I'm pretty sure an unlocked iPhone will work too.

metropcs-simple-plans-01.jpg

After you hit the data limit, MetroPCS will downgrade you to 3G.

http://gigaom.com/2013/01/10/metropcs-rejiggers-its-plans-again-restoring-60-unlimited-tier/

Metro is also offering two lower tiers, both with unlimited text and talk: a $50 2.5 GB plan and a $40 500 MB plan. After those caps are exceeded, Metro will throttle your speeds, but MetroPCS has a very gentle definition of throttling. According to the company it will slow you down to CDMA 3G speeds, which may be sub-megabit, but are much faster than the slow crawl most other carriers subject you to.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Yeah, MetroPCS is CDMA - which means an unlocked iphone won't work on the network. No bring your own device for them. As far as I understand, T-Mobiles plan is to get Metro customers off the CDMA - switch them to TMo GSM and use Metros' towers to acquire easier LTE infrastructure...

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
MetroPCS is complete junk. There's a reason why it is so cheap. It's because the service sucks. Barely works around here in Boston

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
In the end, you get what you pay for. If Metro PCS has good coverage where you are then go for it. However, I wouldn't base your decision on what coverage you expect *might* happen after a merger with T-mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.