Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lambo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
FL
I need the hard drive removed from my late 2010 Macbook Air. How much should I expect to pay?

I called one place already, but I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal.

Or do you recommend that I remove it myself?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I need the hard drive removed from my late 2010 Macbook Air. How much should I expect to pay?

I called one place already, but I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal.

Or do you recommend that I remove it myself?
Your MBA does not have a hard drive. It has flash memory.
EwXnxRyfEywUEP4A.medium
MacBook Air 11" Late 2010 Teardown

Last edited:

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
I have all the necessary Apple tools to do it, I would charge about $40.

I say that I have all the tools because the shop you find should have them too.

Last edited:

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
This is correct. Try to get them to stick it in an antistatic bag for you. I've seen a blade SSD get nuked by ESD.

If you tell us why you are taking the drive out, we may be able to assist you further.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
How much?

A shop would likely charge $100.

Friend with knowledge? Half that.

Not including parts.

I'm no engineer (I worked for Apple Retail, but not as a genius and they didn't teach us anything I didn't already know from MR or YouTube), but I replaced a Mac Mini hdd two weeks ago. Rated as 5 star, only to be done by a pro.

I found the right tools, followed the instructions and it's working great. Sometimes the biggest obstacle is fear.

lambo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
FL
Thanks for all the responses!

I need to remove the flash memory (thanks GCJ studios) because I want to sell the Macbook Air and don't want my personal information on it. It's water damaged so I can't turn it on. I'm not particularly interested in using the information on the flash memory, but if it's cheap to get the antistatic bag, perhaps.

The place I called is charging $75.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Cool

I need to remove the flash memory (thanks GCJ studios) because I want to sell the Macbook Air and don't want my personal information on it. It's water damaged so I can't turn it on. I'm not particularly interested in using the information on the flash memory, but if it's cheap to get the antistatic bag, perhaps.

That doesn't seem outrageous. The hard part is taking apart and putting back together, which is the same whether your removing or swapping a drive.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
I'm not particularly interested in using the information on the flash memory, but if it's cheap to get the antistatic bag, perhaps.

They should give you an antistatic bag for free. Many electronic components are shipped in them, most shops keep a few handy for customers.

I think $75 is a bit steep, is it an 11" or 13"?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Buy a pentalobe screwdriver and take it out yourself.

Spend the money on some beer/wine or dinner instead of paying for an hour of labor from a tech.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Its relatively easy. I work for a Computer repair shop, we charge by the hour minimum 1 hour for it would be $70. You just need a pentaloble screwdriver and phillips. Just watch a youtube video, since your MBA is already damaged beyond repair it doesnt matter if you mess anything up. its about 9 screws and your drive is out. Super easy. You can also check out iFixit.com for tutorials.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Honestly, there are a ton of youtube videos on how to do this. Buy the screw driver and you're good to go. It's really not as hard as you think. For a long time I was hesitant to open up any of my macs. Then the hard drive failed on my 2008 iMac and I decided to take the plunge. It was a piece of cake! Since then I've opened up my MBP to upgrade to dual drives with SSD. Go for it!

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I second all the comments about doing it yourself. It seems daunting, the idea of taking apart a computer, but ifixit guides are really thorough and it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes tops.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
It really boils down to whether you value time or money. If you are really short on cash, and are willing to order and wait for the right screwdriver, this is a VERY easy and quick piece of work.

If you dont want to deal with the learning curve and wait, then $75 seems reasonable. Make them put it in an appropriate storage bag for the price.

lambo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
FL
All right, I do value my money, beer, wine, dinner, etc so I went ahead and bought the pentalobe screwdriver from ifixit.com. $12.95 with shipping. It'll be a good learning experience I reckon.

Thanks for all the help! Really appreciate it!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Well alright, I guess u guys talked him into it. I was just about to regale my nightmare taking apart an iPod Mini :) but alright a big (comparatively) laptop should be no problem.

Just make sure you don't strip the screws. If the screw head doesn't fit in exactly, they ship you the wrong size tool.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

$75 is steep. Good on you to buy the tools yourself. Should only take you 30 min to complete the job if you watch some YouTube videos and/or read some tutorials.

macfly4

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
Tis is the easiest thing in the world to do. Take off the back screws, open back,detach battery cable to drive then remove ssd drive. I replaced mine with a bigger one from OWC and it took about 10 minutes...if that. Go to their website and look at the videos on how to do it

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Cool!

Tis is the easiest thing in the world to do. Take off the back screws, open back,detach battery cable to drive then remove ssd drive. I replaced mine with a bigger one from OWC and it took about 10 minutes...if that. Go to their website and look at the videos on how to do it

That's WAAAAAAY easier than 2009 Mac Mini I did.

Videos make it super simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.